-rating on DC on a different role

I entered a game as a support. The game crashed on me. I restarted the game and tried to reconnect. However, it was at the start of the match, so the game got dissolved and I could not reconnect.

Later I noticed, that I lost rating from my tank queue. Why?!
Why does disconnect punish me across multiple roles?

I don’t know why you could have lost SR on a different role and you may need to report that as a bug. Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Did you disconnect or crash (please be specific), troubleshooting is available but we need to know more about your specific issue.

Why is there a disconnect penalty in the first place? To stop people from leaving when things look bad or they don’t get the hero they want. Having it go across roles stops people from going “well this isn’t my main role so I don’t really care about the SR penalty”. It also disincentivizes intentionally disconnecting to derank one role. It also might be unintended, but these are potential reasons if it is intended.

1 Like

I did.

I do understand that this could be abused. If I DC and reconnect, I don’t lose rating (or at least I haven’t noticed).
However, this was within the first few seconds of the match and these usually get shut down, so I have no game I can reconnect to.

I’ve had both happen to me at different points in time. This time it was a crash.

It pissed me off, because I did lose SR from support, but I had left the tank on 2K+, I played support and later noticed it was 1.9xx. I did few games as a tank and I raised it to almost 2.1K, but the way I see it, the game shouldn’t have punished me across multiple roles.

It’s very strange and it’s not something I’m willing to try and reproduce, as it might mess up my account.

t;dr:
because it can be abused.

There’s one thing I dislike about the penalty and that is, that it’s happening during a beta test of competitive. It’s not an actual season, yet it lowered me from lvl 4 to lvl 3 promotion. Now I have to grind it back again.

A fellow player said this on the bug report form: