Ranking System May need a tweak!

I am curious what everyone’s take on this scenario;
I have this account, which I have played since season 1. I am by no means a top 500 player, but I know my way around the game. I peaked to Gold in a season or two, but after placements last season bronze , this season silver. Arguably, I did play more than usual last season to bring this up.

I opened a new account so I could play with friends that are higher rank- and placed in Platinum.

The seasons appear to be more of an “illusion” and simply “hide your rank for 10 games”

Any thoughts on how a new season can “reset better”?

Also, I think I understand if I were to play both accounts equally, they should eventually “even out” - but my beef is more around how each season is not really a “new” season…

1 Like

Overwatch avoids resets of our matchmaker ratings/skill ratings ever since Season 2. Back in the day Overwatch experimented with a more “progressive” based Competitive system in its beta which did have rank resets, however the players felt there was too many one-sided matches, and did not feel nearly Competitive enough. By the time they reached season 3, it was announced that a player’s matchmaking rating would carry over into the next season and have a soft SR rollback (which the rollback no longer happens since the start of season 6). However the seasons work to carry over your existing skill to ensure matches remain consistent at your skill level.

2 Likes

Great response! I will just add that a reset would only cause more unbalanced games in the ladder. Hearthstone for example has a ranking reset and every start of season you see high skill players at a low rank (they are still matched through MMR,but need to bring back to their past rank)

It’s a very unpleasant experience. If you think you can keep up with your friends at a higher tank, you should just group up anyway.

2 Likes

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13) → MMR/SR reset to see why this would be a bad idea.

See

For Scott saying something similar.

1 Like

keep playing on the account u placed platinum all

you will fall to the same sr

2 Likes

The real answer is to get rid of seasons. They have no point other than to hand out spays.

1 Like

Great responses! And yes in theory, if I were to play both accounts the same time, they should “even out”. The lower account is slowly climbing, so I would expect them to meet somewhere in the middle. The fall was fast but the climb is slow (as they say)

I’ll have to listen to some more insight on to why this isn’t possible. I know most of us are pretty committed to OW, but it is a bit frustrating at times with the comp season the way it is today for the more “casual player” looking to scratch a competitive itch in a team game as opposed to a single player competitive game (HS, or a 1v1 fighting game)

Thanks all and see you in game!