Ranked system is bad. Fix it

Would also be cool if blizz would reveal how ranked, mmr, and matchmaking actually works. Information is hidden from us but it’s obvious there’s some shady stuff going on behind the scenes.

I’ve been playing on two accounts, this account and my main account which is gold border. They were both around the same rank but I kept losing on my main account and kept winning on this account. My main account is now low Plat and the matchmaking between these accounts is night and day difference.

The team mates I get paired with on my main account are bad. Plain and simple. I was switching off, one game on alt account, one game on main account. Main account games had no communication and my team mates were terrible. Switch over to alt account and there’s lots of communication and excellent team work.

Then I came across this old post explaining how mmr works. Overwatch Forums

One of the things they say is that the mmr system rewards new accounts and punishes experienced accounts. This is because of selective matchmaking attempting to make every game “fair”. Experienced accounts are deemed more valuable so these people are paired with worse players in attempt to balance the skill level of two teams. Well this would explain why I get terrible team mates on my gold border account and great team mates on my bronze border account. Is this just a way to get people to buy more accounts?

This game really needs to stop trying to predict players skill level and force matchmaking to “balance” games. Ranked would be so much better if you just let things unfold by natural random selection. SR should be the only deciding factor for matchmaking. Delete mmr.

I definitely won’t be buying overwatch 2 if these same systems are in place. There’s competition for you on the horizon blizzard. Riots hero shooter looks great and they actually know how to make a fair competitive system. Fix your game.

2 Likes

See How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 19), especially the summary and the references for what Blizzard has said on the topic.

You’re missing a lot of info here. How many games are you comparing on the two accounts? What is the SR of your alt? Lower SR games are expected to be lower quality, but also there are so many random factors that it is difficult to compare game quality between two accounts without a lot of games.

That post is gibberish, and contradicts pretty much everything the developers have said about how matchmaking works.

Level is not taken into account in matchmaking. If two accounts are played by the same person, the same way, for 150+ games they will end about around the same rank.