Rank needs to degrade

Hello all.

I made masters SEVERAL seasons ago. Timewise I can’t remember, but let’s just say I was a masters rank before rank got split into different roles (tank, DPS, support). So a good while ago.

I stopped playing overwatch for ages. I took it back up and did a bit of QP for a month or so casually, some arcade… and then decided to re-join comp.

After placements I got high diamond (bordering masters)

I am no longer a master’s player. I cannot compete at this level anymore. My aim is shocking, I haven’t kept up with the meta yada yada yada.

My presence is literally ruining the game for my team mates. I do win games but feel totally carried.

I think rank really should degrade you down to at least plat if you haven’t played for a year or so. Maybe even gold.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Please dear god, don’t do that.
It’s bad enough that EVERY new account rolls thru gold, don’t start sending other people down here due to degredation.
You have no idea how many times I play against people who are clearly just passing thru the rank…miserable games the whole way…

2 Likes

I doubt someone that hasn’t played for a year will be playing like the one you’re explaining.

Do you know how unfun it is to play against a rank you cannot compete?
Not only that, you’re literally dragging players down as you might be a Plat player playing in borderline Masters.

This wouldn’t hurt.

1 Like

I thought the way the current system works is give you massive amounts on uncertainty to rank. Know similar to how after you’ve placed for the first time. I feel like this is simply the best option since it accounts for alt accounts that have simply been forgotten and people who have taken a break.

This is why I think the ranking system should be more fluid and less grindy. If you are not in the right spot it will take forever to get there. I’m not saying it should be so easy that a win streak will boost you up a rank, but it shouldn’t take like 100 games to move someone who clearly doesn’t belong in that rank.

Now that they are implementing tiers within ranks, they could make it easy to move between tiers really quickly but make the promotion to the next rank a challenge to rule out luck.

They do move your SR quite a lot for the first few games (at least 10) if you haven’t played for a while. You are probably better than you think you are!

That would be a bad idea. I was 3900 like 6 seasons ago, I even touched top 500 for a second. I stopped playing Overwatch and started playing Valorant, got immortal, and I’m getting back into playing Overwatch. My game sense isn’t quite as good as it was yet, but my aim is way better. If I was thrown back into gold the games would not be fair