Randomly Freezing in Mid-Game Since Patch

I’ve had this happen twice now since the patch, and apparently people are reporting me over this. It is not my internet connection either. This has something to do with the game crashing.

Edit:

This has happened to me, and both of my brothers multiple times each. 3 separate machines, exact same thing happening. The only way to get unfrozen is to hard restart the computer and hope you make it back in before the 2 minute grace period is up, (which is probably not possible without a SSD).

Has anyone else experienced this since the patch on Thursday? I have a very good computer, and this is the first time I’ve ever experienced any sort of technical issues with Overwatch.

6 Likes

Same thing has happened to me , three times. Lost SR for each one.

5 Likes

Yup exact same thing last night. I was really surprised how difficult it was to get out of it. Rarely if ever experienced that before.

4 Likes

Yup, I have good gear, good Internet and seen this issue along with game friends… it’s annoying as sh*t…

2 Likes

Yikes, I hope you guys bring this to Tech Support forum. They will see it.

2 Likes

Happening to me too. Just trying to spread the word.

1 Like

Hasn’t happened to me

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Have had this happen twice, and only in competitive. I figured it was either a new overlay I DL’d or the new patch. I’m just scared to figure out which it was ):

1 Like

I have also suffered from this resulting in losing SR and getting the leaver penalties. The game just freezes and cannot close unless I hard restart the computer. I can try CTRL+ALT+DEL but it only returns to the game which shows me main menu as it looked when I first started the game. It seems to happen around the time OWL goes live

1 Like

Yes same thing happened to me. Just the moment I died the game froze so hard that I had to restart my PC. I’ve never had such experience with OW before.

1 Like

Someone in another thread regarding this issue said when they switched to borderless windowed mode in-game, they still crashed but they were able to ctrl+alt+delete instead of hard restarting the computer. I know it’s not a real “fix”, but it will cut your downtime down until they get a proper fix.

1 Like

Something like this happened to my friend too
we were playing Comp and suddenly my friend froze in place, we would see him standing there but he was actually in the menus. It wasn’t his internet because we could hear him the whole time (using game’s own voice chat)

We play on PS4.

happened at least 5 times to him.
but not to any other one of us

1 Like

That’s interesting. This is the first case I’ve heard about this issue on PS4. Not sure if it’s identical, but it definitely sounds close. Has this only happened since the patch last Thursday, or has it been on-going? For PC users, this only started happening since the May 3rd patch.

Happened to me too, yesterday. A friend of mine also had this happen to him a bunch of times over the weekend. Had to restart the computer, cause I couldn’t even tab out/go to task manager.

2 Likes
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/game-freezing-and-crashing-after-latest-patch-compendium-first-week-of-may-2018/91092

Everyone go here, upload your specs! Bitty is doing Kaplan’s work!

Do you have a NVIDIA card by any chance?

1 Like

I do have a NVIDIA card, but I saw some other guy had an AMD card in another thread and he is having the exact same issue. I thought that it had something to do with NIVIDA cards as well, until I saw his post.

Hm. I didn’t see the AMD post. I have a NVIDIA card, and I experienced the same thing.

Well apparently I cant include links in my posts, but just delete the space after the “h” in the beginning of the link below if you wanna see the guy’s post about AMD cards. It seems like Intel card users are also being effected :cry:

h ttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/game-freezing-and-crashing-after-latest-patch-compendium-first-week-of-may-2018/91092/28?u=nutmusk-1526

It would be important to also list your Windows package, Windows 10 creators updates have been subject to a whole host of GPU failures (they still haven’t fixed yet) and the bugs specific to each game and the preference of the machine using an integrated graphics card regardless of being set to run ONLY with the dedicated GPU. Maybe your freezes are a result of the GPU becoming non functional due to windows 10 :l

3 Likes

If anyone finds out what is causing this, gimme a hoy. Just had this happen and it seemed to start effecting other programs. Besides basically locking me out of my computer, it caused Discord to have issues (eg: person I was talking to sounded like he was Bastion’s voice actor), and I couldn’t access task manager or tab out.

3 Likes