Random Overwatch Crashes not just me but also the teammates

Windows Event Viewer has been reporting the following whenever I have encountered this crash:

Name resolution for the name us.cdn.blizzard.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I just started getting this issue today. Twice the game has closed suddenly. This was in arcade.

1 Like

Try changing the DNS youā€™re using. That error leads me to believe the DNS being used canā€™t resolve the hostname, but other players can resolve it, so might just be a bottleneck there.

Made an account to say that this is a common and well known issue in GM at least in NA. It happens very frequently with streamers in lobbies and people have been trying things like closing bnet and turning off friend request notifications every time they load into a game with a streamer. It even happened to me just now in an official streamed match where two of my teammates were forced to restart their PCs due to repeated crashing in the same manner. Point being itā€™s a pretty big issue in upper ranks/streamer games

1 Like

I have never issued this before, at least w/o actual reason. But couple days ago I have got the same. It looked like as if you press alt+f4 of the game. No warning, nothing, it just sends you to your desktop and overwatch.exe disappears by itself. Iā€™ve checked multiple times, if I may be pressed something like alt+f4, but it is technically impossible to do as an accident, because I have to press Fn+Alt+4 on my 60% keyboard in order to make this real. I was in a game 5v6 and my team had a leaver. However, we were winning as 5. Then it dcd me =)

1 Like

Still encountering it, though if itā€™s related to DNS why would it just close off the game like that?

Usually happens on the same maps for me like Eichenwalde, not sure if thatā€™s really related either.

Iā€™ll try changing DNS and see if it fixes it, havenā€™t changed anything so Iā€™m sure itā€™s nothing iā€™ve done.

Iā€™d be interested in seeing if changing DNS helps anyone. I always use Google DNS. I only had the issue happen once Saturday evening and havenā€™t been able to replicate it much since though I havenā€™t been able to really test much either. I checked my event viewer and did not see a blizzard.com error around that timeframe though I had another unrelated com error close to it. tough to safe if it is related based on a single occurrence though. I donā€™t want to speculate too much until we have more information.

If you know others it is happening to, it can help if they are also actively reporting it as well. Unfortunately third party reporting doesnā€™t do much good if they arenā€™t also reporting it to us themselves so we can try to get data from them as well. So if you see someone else encounter it, have them chime in here with details and if possible a dxdiag so we can keep digging into this to find the source and solution.

1 Like

Let me translate for you all:

1. We do not own our mistakes so we aint gonna give you your SR back lmao deal with it
  2. Happened to me once too but only in quickplay so i dont really care
  3. Im not reading this thread thats why i cant see that multiple people have this problem
3 Likes

SYXʓOTT,

This is a reminder to please keep the discussion productive and civil. If you donā€™t wish to troubleshoot with us to try and figure this out or at least provide information that is being asked for then that is fine, but being malicious or otherwise disruptive of the troubleshooting process that we must follow regardless of what/where the issue is sourced from does not progress the investigation.

1 Like

Just providing an update. We have been tracking the issue and investigating and the information yall have provided so far is helping us narrow things down. So keep it coming, any details, dxdiag data etcā€¦ can help us pinpoint and address the source of it.

1 Like

Thanks for the massive sr lose by the way. game disconnects randomly, thats all. not a fishy setting or something else, it is a problem caused by you

I got banned for this issue, can i have some help? first got queue with leavers as well. Then banned multiple times and now iā€™m not able to start a match.

Ok here you go, 3 matches where im getting kicked without any plausible reason:

3 Likes

Hi. This just happened again. I have another code for this one, too. My entire team except me gets random disconnects where they come back fast, but then get disconnected again, same as the other two games I mentioned where I only provided one code, but here is the most recent code.

EHNKS3

this makes me sad, because it put me in an elo with people above my caliber versus a team of five accounts that havenā€™t placed yet, making our odds to win very likely. We in fact were winning, and just like the other two games I mentioned, when it became clear that we were winning on the last round, our team gets disconnected.

Everybody look at this and give me your opinions on whether you tthink itā€™s an in game issue or somebody is DDOSing us. Right after it happened, everyone on the enemy team is in chat saying ā€œEZā€ ā€œLMAO EZ WINā€ etc. because apparently they were holding back anger from having that impending feeling of a loss, so they needed to take it out on us.

I think this is malicious intent and not unexpected game crashes.

the same things happened in all three games

1. It happened on the last round

2. It happened on the last round when it became clear that our team was winning and the other team only needed to also win that last round to win (Iā€™m guessing so as not to have to repeat the DDOS again)

3. Nobody on the friendly team mentions game crashing. They are all startled and confused, typing ā€œWHAT IS GOING ONā€ etc.

in every game it has happened, it has only happened when we worked hard for a win.

now Iā€™m upset, because it has now tricked the MMR system into thinking that I lost that game definitively and now it will match me with lower caliber players again. This happened right after I won the last game where I was matched with and against people 300 SR higher than me, and we won decisively. I was happy, because I thought I showed the matchmaker that I am in fact higher caliber than it thinks I am, because of this last game, I am now in a game with people who canā€™t kill a pharah and donā€™t know how to help hold the front line. The ana is dpsing and the lucio is falling off of the map alone. This is what Iā€™m talking about. This is what the matchmaker does to people. I donā€™t deserve this. I donā€™t know how long it will be before I can get the matchmaker to believe Iā€™m good again.

Those videos are showing you have a connection issue leading up to the disconnect. Not every service you connect to uses the same route, just like not every street you take leads to the same place. Probably an issue on one of the routes or DNS operators.

1 Like

This is happening for me and my group of friends as well. Crash to desktop, launch OW again and it goes right into group. Lotā€™s of people experiencing it for the past few days.

Just adding this on here to increase the number of people showing this issue as being real. I also just experienced this issue in a comp match and it was definitely done maliciously considering the enemy team didnā€™t disconnect at all. (Literally every driver on my PC you could think of is updated so its not that) Game Crashes completely to desktop btw not just a server disconnect KMV83A

1 Like

ah watch out, an MVP may tell you that it could be your DNS settings or something else. Blizzard never fails, they are perfect and everything is your fault :wink:

3 Likes

YSVH4C

Same issue as others. 8 days after this post is made this is still happening.

Same as everyone else, all down to it being towards the end of the game, getting booted and -50 & suspended. Nobody on the enemy team DCd but 4 out of 6 players on my team did. Seems to be something malicious and one sided.

4 Likes

Iā€™m also having this issueā€¦ My game just closed without warning during a comp game. I log back in and everything is as if I was never in the game at allā€¦ I wasnā€™t able to join the game again as the ā€œrejoinā€ option wasnā€™t thereā€¦ And I could queue like normal, no penalty or anything.

When I look at replays, it say 0-3 Undecided because there was a leaver?

Granted, it did happen after the leaver came back because he dcā€™d first, but we 3-2 in that match. The leaver thought that someone was ddosing, but I just donā€™t know. I canā€™t even look at the replay.

Iā€™ve had this issue once before recently in a custom game, but I thought something was just wrong with the lobby as it never happened again until nowā€¦

1 Like