Random FPS drops 2019

So I run everything on the lowest possible settings except for textures, models, and texture filtering which are all on high, and effects on medium. I always get 120 fps, but ever since the update before the octopus Zenyatta skin came out, my fps has randomly been dropping and stuttering. Now in my matches most of the time my fps is 120 but then outta nowhere it will drop down to 40 and back up to 120 again really fast, but it will cause my screen to freeze for a second. This happens to me whenever even when I’m just walking out of spawn. Also ever since that update, there is an ellipsis next to my framerate number in the top left that used to never be there.

I have an Alienware 15R3, with an Intel Core i7, a GTX 1060, and 16G of RAM with one terabyte of space for my hard drive. If anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading.

P.S.- when I go into my task manager while I have overwatch running, my memory percentage is at 50% constantly, but it doesn’t do that with other games.

3 Likes

Are you running any Razer devices? If not, it sounds like something on your PC is using your resources, causing the loss in performance. We can check that out with a DxDiag.

DxDiag instructions (click to expand/collapse)
  1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

Note: If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

Note: I’m an MVP/volunteer, and I don’t work at Blizzard. :stars:

1 Like

Yes I have a Razer keyboard and mouse, and i use Razer Synapse.

Follow the steps at the link in my last post and it should fix the issue.

UfY3duPB these are the numbers and letters for my paste of my DxDiag in case you still need to see that, also thank you very much for responding and helping me out!

Other than the Chroma steps mentioned above, I see that your Alienware Control Center is reporting errors, which you would have to reach out to Alienware for assistance with.

If I were to call them, what would I say? “Hi, my alienware control center is reporting errors”, or do I just say that my DxDiag says that or something?
Also, where do I go to look at your last post and follow the link to fix my chroma stuff? I tried to look at your activity but it’s hidden. sorry

You’d just tell them the issue you’re having, and offer to provide the dxdiag.

My previous reply to you.

Hey, did you solve your problem?
I’m having fps drops since the last update came out (2 weeks ago).

I tried everything I could.
I cleaned my PC and I even changed my internet speed/connection and router. Reinstalled the game, reinstalled the drivers. Nothing.
I still can’t play the game.
My PC is really good and before the last update I’d never had any problems like that.
Does anyone has any ideas? I’m out of options. Don’t know what to do.

1 Like

The razer thing did nothing for me, my frames are still garbage.

Did you contact Alienware support for the other issue?

Also, make sure these files were removed:

C:\Windows\System32\RzChromaSDK64.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RzChromaSDK.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RzAPIChromaSDK.dll

I tried to contact Alienware for support but they said I had to have a warranty for any technical help. The cheapest warranty is $250, which is just absolutely ridiculous. I even tried factory resetting my pc which did nothing, and right now razer synapse is completely deleted so that’s not a problem.

Edit: I just checked all those files you told me to delete, and I’m sure they are because I just checked and they are nowhere to be found on my laptop.

At this point I think you would be best suited opening a ticket, since more precise info about your PC can be collected that you won’t want to share on the public forum.

Sorry for the late response, things have been busy lately, but what is a ticket and how do I open one? Thank you for all your help and attention so far

Tickets are how you directly communicate with staff for issues with the game.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/overwatch/907/1094/channels

A post was split to a new topic: [Kato] FPS drops