Rafiki’s wisdom and ow2 competitive

Please OW2 hear the wisdom of Rafiki, “it is time” que lion king music!!!

All I want to know about OW2 is if performance plays a larger role than win/loss ratio in competitive ranking?

Or it still the same system, just hidden behind a wall?

I know it’s 7 wins or 20 losses. But what is the outcome determined by? Mainly my win/loss with performance splashed in? Or performance 1st, win/loss second.

Let’s be honest here. In OW1 performance allowed you to climb faster up to diamond. But sadly performance was relatively unimportant if you lost the game.

Are we finally going to have a competitive system that rewards good play above win/loss?
At least up until diamond?

Will positive sr be possible in lost games?

Doing 20k dmg/10 with over 30 elims/10, or having 85% scoped accuracy and 30k heals on Ana, or blocking 25k dmg and having 25 elims/10 and 13k dmg/10 on rein with low deaths…should not result in lost sr simply because the game was lost.

Especially because the games where you play that well and still lose are often due to one teammate, while the rest of you play out of your kind to try and carry them. Why are 5, soon to 4, punished for the actions of one?

Will true skill based sr be introduced?

Please OW2 we believe in you.

1 Like

This post is so confusing.

The only thing that should ever matter is whether or not you win a match. If you died 10,000 times but found a way to win, you did your job.

Having it based on skill is a bad idea because an algorithm can never capture what it really means to be a skilled overwatch player.

Last thing is, whether you know it or not, Overwatch is currently based almost entirely on skill. How you perform in the game is almost the soul decider of whether or not you rank up.

1 Like

cute point, not true. but cute. If this was true, and I performed well then I would get sr even if we lost.

Performing well statistically eventually places you in matches that are simple to rank up, that’s how it works.

One thing really stood out reading the OP.

Rein’s damage blocked stat is a horrible way to determine performance since it’s counter intuitive a lot of the time. A Rein with a high damage blocked stat per 10 mins is usually directly correlated with how much of a shield bot they’re being with higher numbers “generally” pointing towards an ineffective and overly passive Rein.

Absolutely! This is just one example of how looking at “performance” metrics is an awful way of gauging how well someone is doing. It’s like using the number of brush strokes it took to create a painting in order to determine if it’s beautiful or not - terrible idea.

1 Like

I think it’s hilarious that you ignored the other 2 metrics I included for rein. Like…context. The sky is blue except when it thunderstorms.

The problem with a system like that is that it relies heavily on MMR, the system behind which remains vague and opaque (especially now that OW2 has released and the MMR system is completely veiled) and this can be utilized by the developers to try to even the playing field between skilled/non skilled players. Yes the pro level/grandmaster level players will still rise out of silver/gold hell but the vast majority of players will get beaten down by the MMR system.

Said system by the way in the previous game created sub-brackets within the tiers. Ranks within ranks. This was used to pit skilled players that did too well against other skilled players but with a team of lower skilled players in hopes that it would simultaneously make the low skill players more likely to win and the skilled players less likely to win. Thus flattening the curve and returning the vast majority of players to the median. This makes bad players feel better and good players feel worse than they are at the cost of the long term gain and satisfaction of the individual player.

This is why you play a few games and stomp out your foes and then (while still in the same “skill” bracket) you get your face stomped in for like five matches straight. Your MMR has adjusted to your positive performance and the algorithm has decided you need to slow down and let someone else win. It does this by performing the above-mentioned process.

This skill slinky is exhausting to be honest and only creates the vague appearance of skill based matchmaking in order to appeal to a wider audience.