Racism should be Auto-Silence and Auto-Ban

I was at Season Peak and just had my 2nd thrower match in a row. 3-Stack of throwers on my team. They were extremely toxic in voice, team and match chats. 1 was Bastion the entire match, spent half the time in spawn and the other half in a corner out of sight not pushing for the objective or letting the enemy team take it. The 2nd was a tank that refused to push forward or just ended up feeding. The 3rd guy just ended up feeding the whole time. There was absolutely nothing you could do to change the outcome of this match. It was not a “You are the problem situation”; It was a this damned 3-stack was the problem.

At the end of the match it was just an outright string of racism ending in one of the telling me and 1 other to “Get [Edited by Blizzard]” in all caps. Look, im Mutt-White, and I dont even like the usage of racism, or even reverse-racism.

Yes I know there is a profanity filter, I hate censoring things, its like trying to watch Anime and you get some really crappy subs that get translated wrong when the filter censors words, however when racism is involved, that should be an Automatic-Silence that gets longer and longer the more often someone types in any base and slang terms. Obviously not much you can do about voice chat except report and move on.

EDIT - If I had my way, it would always be a Chat/Account ban first time. But as ancient proverb says - “Forgiveness is Divine; but never pay full price for late Pizza.”

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.

10 Likes

Yeah I don’t know who is in charge of these things but that seems kind of obvious.

We don’t need super fancy advanced chat filtration. We need to remove offenders from community.

In my personal experience I’ve had 3 games held hostage by racist/biggots on my team. While I admit it doesn’t happen often when it does it makes me reconsider playing OW at all.

3 Likes

It depends a very small amount to me. In general, team/match or group chat? Absolutely auto filter it and silence the account for a day to start, increasing exponentially for repeats. However (correct me if I’m wrong here) if I’m right in saying you can only send whispers to people on your friends lists, don’t auto filter/silence it since it’s private. Of course let the player still report the whisper if they want to, but don’t assume whether or not two friends have issues with it.

2 Likes

People want “bang for their buck” when they report their teammate who wasn’t even in chat playing widowmaker so if that’s how they get the bang, they will use it.

Just report them for abusive chat and for game sabotage and move on.

Had a game where I had a 3-stack on my team accusing me of saying the “n” word multiple times, only because I left the voice chat from their toxicity (they were the ones saying it).

Reported them, but it’s not enough (never received notification that my report did anything). There needs to be a way to bypass the limit and have a direct review by Blizzard so they can be perma-banned.

2 Likes

Something like this couldn’t be done through normal reporting. It’d actually have to auto-capture and clip such things for review. Which is possible, but - while I agree this (and other egregious ‘kys’-type statements) should be caught - I doubt it’ll happen because Blizzard can’t be bothered with simple changes of this type…I mean, we still don’t even have guilds.

1 Like

I’d support super offensive and unnecessary (such as blatantly racist/sexist insults, or threats) having much harsher penalties. There’s really no excuse for someone using racial slurs…Not like its an accident or has any other purpose other than to offend people.

And I’d usually say that some people in this community are too sensitive and call things “toxic” that aren’t really toxic…But racial slurs, blatant sexist insults, threatening people, etc has no place in this game, or anywhere really.

1 Like

It’s a shame, because Blizzard doesn’t actually even read the reports. They just have their auto-ban do their work, and then have their CS handle the backlash. I feel like they should be quickly banning those that need to be banned by reading reports that actually have text in them.

I think ‘kys’ should be punished more too. Anything that targets people who are already at a disadvantage is worse than the usual toxicity.

2 Likes

so you think one bad word, and not the TONS of others, should be the only auto-ban lol get real!!

Agreed, this is also an uncontrollable variable. There is plenty of “Toxic” verbiage that can be extremely insulting when compounded in a sentence, but there is the simple stuff like players saying “Git Gud” or “Mad because Bad”. Those are to me on the toxic list but not the, lets go punish those guys right away kinda thing. I can manually mute/block them no problem. Its less under the skin you could say… BUT!!! I cannot stand this short hand “Twitter” talk like someone speaks and writes like they dropped out of 4th grade. Its a personal peave, im sure some share it, most dont care.

Definite 100% yes on this . I dont care if that is said jokingly or not, that deserves significant punishment as well.

No, obviously you’re being ignorant and not reading through. We are having a discussion and there has been open responses to additional suggestions. I was speaking on MY LAST Personal experience of the night, not directly at 1 particular word. My topic/thread header actually implies globally to all racism, not a single word specifically.

Its been real for as long as humanity has existed. We are having a REAL Discussion right now. You are just trying to ramp an Alt Accounts Post count.

2 Likes

No, you’re being ignorant!! Your post literally states that ONE word should be an auto-ban smdh…first of all it’s only a word, second, why just that one?! In reality, throwers are more of a problem then a word you don’t like.

The thing is in public chat? There are definitely words and phrases that are and should be unacceptable in any situations and for good reason, they exist for no reason other than to bully or spread hate. That’s what he’s talking about. In whispers of pms? Who cares. Let them say whatever they want though either party in the pms can still report if they don’t like it.

Yes throwers are a problem but just because a separate problem exists doesn’t mean you don’t address one that you can address much more easily. He’s not even talking about banning the account outright. Just chat silence that gets longer for repeat offenders.

3 Likes

Again once people realize that the bang for your buck is to report for racism, then those will be what the all reports will consist of.

People want to get the person they are reporting punished. So if there was someone who was inactive who they are reporting, and they need bang for the buck then I have no doubt that all the reports will all be about racism.

1 Like

You’re clearly not being understood. Speak in English and not “Bang for a Buck” terminology so the others can understand you.

I’ve had that happen. What’s sad is when others actually report you or you don’t take people seriously when they all chat it. I’m an old school gamer and while I enjoy the fact that PC gaming is widely spread out nowadays, I kinda miss the fact that you had to be a little older to have a gaming PC.

1 Like

this isn’t pol so stop bringing it here. imo.

1 Like

Have you ever heard of the Cobra effect in India?

The government wanted to get rid of the cobras so they offered money to kill them. Every cobra you dropped off at the gov. office you got so much money. It worked amazing for short period of time, but shortly after were tons of cobra farms all over the country raising millions of the things turning them in for money. The government then had an “o no” moment and quit paying money for the cobras.

The Cobra farmers then released the cobras into the wild since they had no use for them any longer and the population out in the wild went bitcoin on them the problem many multiples worse than it ever was before they started intervening.

It’s called the Cobra effect.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.

2 Likes

Bro Expressions are a great way to get bang for your buck.

Source: This is a common expression where I’m from US north east.

Edit: He kinda lost me when he started to snake off into that last post. Mb he means racist people are like cobras and if there is a bigger reward for cobras there will be more racist people?

1 Like