Queued for comp and got stuck on “applying update” screen

I queued up for a comp match (all roles, so the queue would normally pop within a minute), and then the “applying update” banner appeared on-screen for several minutes and never went away. I didn’t actually notice if it said that a game had been found before the “applying update” banner appeared, but nothing seemed to be happening, so I restarted the game client. When I got back in, I had 9 minutes remaining on a suspension from queueing for comp, so it seems like I did get queued into a match and never was able to load into it.

6 Likes

Same. However, I just shut down the game entirely and upon reloading the issue was solved and I queued up just like normal.

2 Likes

Had the same issue. I had to f0rce close the game but I get rpesented with a suspension message.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I was queued up for come when an applying up message appeared. The friend I was playing with saw me load into the came but the message never left. I closed the game out and when I opens back up I was suspended for an hour. This was not the only time I was kicked out of the game due to servers either updating or closed.

4 Likes

This also happened to me. Queued for a support game and it soon popped up with game found. Then i was stuck on the applying update screen, i thought if i left it there for a while it would log me in and not give me a suspension. it have been like 5 minutes and wasn’t going anywhere so i restarted me game and i was suspended. Blizzard needs to fix this as this has happened to me twice and it’s unfair.

3 Likes

Yep, happened to me again today, and it happened to my partner yesterday. I was just queueing for the Olympus mode, so it was no penalty to restart the game, but it really sucks that there has been a regression with this bug, and that penalties are still being handed out for comp matches that can’t be joined.

2 Likes

Yup, I got exactly the same this morning. Now suspended for 1 hour after I had the same thing happen yesterday (was 15min suspension) yesterday.

2 Likes

Been hit with the applying update bug multiple times in the last few days. I never leave games and last ban was 20 hours… I’ve opened an appeal ticket, submitted supporting evidence and received a response telling me how penalties work…. Hoping this gets resolved or even acknowledged soon.

2 Likes

Res. Still happening. First game of the day, two days in a row. Both comp, both with penalty.
Edit: We’re at an 8 hour suspension now. Third time in two days. As a note, this only happens in comp. Never had the slightest issue in unranked.

3 Likes

This just happened again, second time in 2 days. When it happens, I cant do anything, it says joining game, then it “applies updates” then I close the game and get a penalty, I’m at an hour long penalty now and I dont want more… I had good connection the whole time and I could see yellow messages popping up in chat but they were fuzzy so I didn’t know what they said

2 Likes

Happened just now again and got a competitive penalty. Great.

2 Likes

Happened to me too, yesterday and today. First game after opening, the first time with a 15 min penalty, the second time with a 1 hour penalty. I dont really know how to fix this, I am also scared to try again after the penalty time is over since I dont want any more penalties…

2 Likes

This just happened for me today. And I got subsequently suspended for 15 min…

2 Likes

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. A link to my post in case you would like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

1 Like

same thing happened here, now im on a 8 hour ban because they dont fix anything, i put a ticket in i sure hope i get a naive response regarding how it isnt fair to my teamates for leaving but its their fault for releasing the bug

1 Like

This has just happened to me as well, im now suspended from comp for an hour and am concerned I will get more severe penalties for a bug that is not my fault!

1 Like