Question: Is the hair on the omnic singer in the paris spawn supposed to mean something?

Is the hair on the omnic singer in the paris spawn supposed to mean something?
Do omnics have a gender/sex? do they care about accesorial looks?

2 Likes

It looks like a wig to me

Her hair is in a classic french style created by a french stylist its called the marcel wave. its just a little touch of detail.

4 Likes

I thought it was to give Luna a 1920s influenced fascinator appearance, suitable for cabaret performers and singers.

2 Likes

Have you seen Maximilien? :flushed::fire:

37 Likes

top ten overwatch bruh moments

4 Likes

I thought that was a toupee that was hot glued? Or am I mistaken?

Am I the only one suffering sudden fps drop after paris patch

3 Likes

You make a very good point Mr. Chu

I guess all of that, as well as clothes on omnics, horns on Orisa, general ead shape etc. Are just added to make them feel less intimidating and ā€œinhumanā€. In a mixed humano-bot society there has to be some sort of generally agreed way of ā€œfillin inā€ the uncanny valley and mental stress that it puts on human brains. And that IS in fact a thing where human brain will react with stress and disgust to things to closely resembling humans or sometimes animals. I think think there even is a Vsauce video on this exact subject in YT.

The other thing is that omnics may just be using human psychology against ā€œusā€. Whatever appears elegant/threatening/adorable etc. on a living subject will most likely also add that atribute to the omnic that is ā€œwearingā€ it. That is most likely he best explanation why Bob looks like a big fat club bouncer, instead of a purely utilitarian design like the one of Bastion, which as a military unit is stripped of anything that is not assigned o a pure mechanical ofr combat function.

And this second point is best represented by Orisa versions. The military design on the null secor skin has no ā€œpleasant rounded edgesā€, no decorative horns etc. The OR-15 are the middle point with a design that shows this omnic more as a tool or utility device, while the final Orisa is a bot designed to have its own individualism represented not only by a personality chip/software/whatever, but also by very individual and ā€œpersonalisedā€ look. Underneath the ā€œgoat centaurā€ would probably be the same military frame as in the good 'ol null sector unit.

2 Likes

So sheā€™s definitely an Omnic then? There was some speculation based on the postersā€¦

How come some look like generic omnics (Zenyatta face wise, Maximilan face wise, Lynx 17 etc.) but Echo has an AI 3D surface?

Because omnics are machines, and machines are designed in a plethora of ways

I would rather prefer Echoā€™s style as she seems more easy to understand due to facial expressions. I actually donā€™t like the generic omnic look.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that. Despite the mass-produced omnics used for war, most others are all unique in their own way. I love the stoic expressions our current omnics have. Besides, not all omnics with the same style as Zen for instance have the same look. Orisa has the most expressive facial expressions in the game

1 Like

For me personally, the best way to ruin an original and unique design of an alien/robot/non-human in general is to give them a human face.

Orisa, Bastion, Zen, Maximilien, Leonora, Bobā€¦ They all showcase the differences in omnic design while staying true to their purpose of being non-human. They push the design and storytelling to find different ways to showcase their expressions, which works, because weā€™ve been given so many different ways of omnic expression. The differences in faces of omnics like Zen, the details they use to keep themselves unique, Orisa with her insanely cute interpretation of a robot face, even Bastion with his beeps and lights.

Echo is completely bland in comparison. Her having a human face is something I see as a lazy cop-out. Thereā€™s no need to give her any other creative details or ways for us to understand her because thereā€™s the human face and thatā€™s the easiest way to go for when designing a non-human creature. To me, that ease of understanding is a mistake; a design of a non-human should present us with a challenge in empathising with something that isnā€™t like us. I want my non-humans to be non-human. Otherwise itā€™s just superficial.

I know there could be a reason for Echo looking like that, but at the end of the day that ā€œreasonā€ is still just an excuse to have a human face on a robot. I find pretty much every single omnic more interesting than Echo design-wise. Hell, the Paris omnic singer has more charisma to me.

2 Likes

I guess, as with all machines, there can be cheap mass produced models and expensive fancy models. I would guess that onics just as humans may be more or less wealthy and only some can afford to upgrade to moch more ā€œfancyā€ shell. Just like McCree mentions Bob getting upgrades in the cinematic.

Also, there is som speculation that she is actually a God Program locked in a robotic body so it is cut off from the worldwide web to not cause havoc.

As of now she does yeah, but Echo will take the cake later aha. Orisa looks different since well, Efi built her and she was not manufactured like the rest. I do love Zen though.

Interesting take on it. Yeah fam I get you on what you mean. I guess I am just sick of seeing the same face over and over and over as if itā€™s attack of the clones. Echo changes it up for me and well, I guess I find myself identifying closer with things that can express their emotions more like Orisa or Echo (It has to do with human attributes i think) Then again, with Bastion, his Boops tell me how he feels and I get an ā€œAwwā€ vibe but I canā€™t take him seriously.

Echo could be an AI or she could be a possible humanoid and not an omnic at all. We assume she is, but to be honest, we donā€™t know what she is. I do LOVE Luna though. I think itā€™s because itā€™s a girl omnic this time and all of the others shown are usually males (Like if you looks at movie posters and such, all of the omnics shown are male and look like Zen)

1 Like

Does this mean Bastion has a shaved mohawk (Mr T styled) and Orisa has pigtails? :stuck_out_tongue: