Question about placement matches as a team

Hello all, I am planing to play new competitive season with a friend who is just starting. And I have no idea how placements actually work, but I remember that in the past I could not do placements from 1st match with my friends. I cannot recall did I do some matches prior to trying with friends or not, but I do remember we all had do to at least 1 match solo before being able to que up together. So my question is: can me and my friend do placements together from 1st match? Or do we need to do 1 match separate, or we wont be able to even group up at all?

I was in bronze last season if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance <3

It makes a big difference.

Placement matches are based off the rank you finished last season.

You can only group with people within 1000 SR of you, so if your friends were high plat or higher is it unlikely you could team-up with them to do placements.

With that in mind, I can’t see why you couldn’t group up from your first placement match.

Kaawumba has put out some great material around how the match-maker works, and it is unlikely it will change for season 15 is worth a read: How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 14)

Thank you for the reply, so me and my friend will probably have to end up similar SR ( which we probably will ) in placements to play together? If I understood you correctly?

If by similar SR you mean within 1000 points of each other, then yeah to team up you will need to.

Well lets hope he does horribly in his placement matches xD

In my experience your sr wont fluctuate more than 200ish no matter how good or bad you do in placements.

maybe a huge gap like a top500 and bronze playing each others placements would make that 200 a larger number.