QP Shouldn't Be Excuse to OneTrick or Throw

They won’t ban me for one tricking off meta. I’m a Mei one trick, who will one trick Sym if she’s not available. I will also one trick Lucio or Mercy. Either way, I won’t switch because if I pick a hero, I’ll play them even if someone tells me to switch

5 Likes

That makes MMR unstable and it makes balance data unreliable. The impact to queue times further degrades MM and we’re already at a point where the game could lose critical mass in some region/rank/time combinations. It’s just not worth it, and I say this as an ex onetrick.

4 Likes

I mean, if you one trick reaper in a non-reaper meta or into a team that counters you, yeah it’s 100% throwing.

Simply by 1-tricking you are going to run into those scenarios eventually so I’d say yea, 1-tricking is 100% throwing.

For starters you are admitting here that you are refusing to switch to help your team, which is throwing. Second, you aren’t even helping yourself here as it makes sense to switch heroes based on what’ll get value.

Talking to 1-tricks is like talking to anti-vaxers. Just do what’s good for you and your team already instead of screwing everyone over.

Not switching is not throwing according to the devs, so moot point.
I’ll play whatever character I like and there’s nothing you can do to stop me :heart:

10 Likes

are you the bastion main that reported me for playing the piano in paris? jw.

1 Like

From the devs

“I hear a lot of people attack hero bans because they only want to play one hero, or “one trick”… To this, I think our stance is pretty clear. Overwatch is a game about mastering many heroes. We don’t expect you to master them all, but you should play a few of the characters. Now, we don’t explicitly prevent you from only playing one hero. But we also don’t encourage it. We think the game is more fun for everyone involved if you play at least a handful of the heroes. That’s how the game is designed. So defending “one tricking” does not factor in for us when it comes to our opinion on hero bans. We want the meta to move more and one tricking contributes to meta issues. Again, we’re not against one-tricking but we’re not going to overly enable or encourage it. That’s our stance.”

You are implying that the devs explicitly stated that one-tricking is not throwing when in fact they say nothing of the sort. If fact there’s far more evidence that they are pretty clearly indicating that one tricking is throwing.

Your comment is an example of why one-tricking should be an actionable offense. You are doing yourself no favors by behaving in such a manner.

Go to the report section, it literally says it’s not throwing.
Stay mad, but I’ll one trick as much as I want

7 Likes

QP is way too chaotic for organized play. Just pick whatever you want and play however you want.

Also one tricking and throwing are not the same thing. Before you disagree with me consider this:

Am I throwing for one tricking Reinahrdt?

9 Likes

Quickplay is the default game mode and not competitive. So J don’t personally care what my team-mates do as long as they’re playing the objective. If you want optimal play go to competitive.

8 Likes

So you also don’t know the difference between try hard, try a bit, and not trying at all.

Next.

???

At the very least, D.Va contests these characters, and outright counters two of their ultimates. Out of the listed three, Sigma might give her the most problems, but it is not like he also can’t move freely under her potentially endless hailfire, or deal with her mobility and constantly relocating to throw him into less than ideal defensive angles to hold at. D.Va may have a rough time dealing with weapons that bypass her Defense Matrix, but it is not like she can’t apply pressure of her own and push back—when assisted by the right teammates. On the other hand, if her team isn’t willing to work with her to properly enable her, when she can work very well against these three listed characters (potentially even dominate them) by playing appropriate shielding, healing and damage characters, then perhaps it isn’t the player one-tricking her that is the issue, but their teammates for not trying hard enough to teamwork?

• Switching to Sombra to enable an EMP bomb combo- it would blast through whatever Sigma and Zarya tries to throw up; and Mei's ice wall is often defeated just by tossing the bomb up high to explode in the air.
  • Switching to proper, high output healing supports to keep her healed up as she moves around and stay in mech enables her to move forward and apply proper pressure, rather than be forced to either hang back and spam her guns and missiles uselessly or decide to jump in, feed, and die repeatedly ("why heal her so much when she can get herself her own mechs and squash enemies in the process? Checkmate 4heads!").
  • Switching to a barrier tank to help shield her from damage and ensure it's raised when she needs it enables her to dive, push around her foes, maybe chase down an finish off a low health runner---and survive to avoid/absorb CC and stay in mech---is a lot more effective than constantly being down a second tank because you want to roll around as ball or "carry" as Hog.

But yes, it’s much easier to having (read: yelling at) one player to swap off D.Va than have, say, 2-3 uncooperative teammates switch to D.Va-enablers, isn’t it? Just let those Graviton Surge and Blizzard ultimates go uncountered, lest the player swap to Sigma, who will have a harder time eating those ultimates with his more restrictive Kinetic Grasp, and who may not even be a “better fit” for whatever asinine comp that the other players in your team are are so hell bent on playing to avoid helping their D.Va one-trick (or “one-trick”) help them to win, be it out of some nonsensical moral superiority, or whatever other delusion they have convinced themselves of.

5 Likes

QP Warrior here: throwing is unrespectful indeed. But I’m fine with people one tricking or training new heroes, as long as they normally play to win.

1 Like

Sadly QP is never going to be good ever, besides when Comp didnt existed.
Why? Because you cant get player’s mentality and behaviour to be a certain way in a non-ranked mode.

There will be people that will try their best and others that will just “OMEGALUL” and do things like “flanking rein” or “full battle mercy” because of their entitlement. The old “I paid 40 bucks for this game and I can do what I want”.

Its lack of respect for other’s people time basically and surprise surprise : You cant do anything about it, besides getting friends online or using LFG ( LOL @ this one )

1 Like

If people are that bothered by it, go to comp or LFG.

QP is a mode for practice, to mess around and relax while still doing the game objective. That’s always what QP been.

5 Likes

Well considering how these 2 things can mean the exact same thing, I fully have to agree. Now there are situations where one-tricking doesn’t fulfill the pre-requisites of throwing and in these cases it’s very fine to play like this, but in common situations it does fulfill the pre-requisite of throwing in which case it becomes a reportable thing, because gameplay sabotage isn’t dependent on the intention of said players’ behavior as it doesn’t dictate the nature of that behavior which is dependent by the end-cause of said players’ actions

Everyone should play the game properly for a win regardless of whether they’re playing QP or Comp, because these gamemodes share the exact same rules of acceptable behavior with the only difference being that players are way more aggressive with reporting than they are in QP, which is completely their own personal choice

I for certain do report behavior that is clearly nothing but “having fun” at the expense of the team and has concrete ramifications for everyone’s gameplay experience. Nobody needs that burden and it ruins everyone’s fun out of the game. It’s these exact games where after watching someone throw for a round of KOHT, half the team leaves at the end of it and for a very good reason too

That being said I would never report someone just because they don’t pick the hero that I’m expecting them to pick. As long as they’re not playing some of the worst possible heroes they could for the scenario, all the rest of it is fine

Throwing is always wrong, obviously. Onetricking is not bannable, as clearly stated by the devs, but can be annoying to deal with. I wished that my co-support was capable of playing more than just Lucio so many times, but hey you gotta work with it. :sob:

But the thing is, onetricking really isn’t that different from playing only a certain subset of a role, when you think about it. At least in the type and amount of annoyance it causes. I could be a pro Junkrat/Doomfist/Symmetra player, so I’m not a onetrick by definition, and I’d still get yelled at the moment they go Pharah/Echo. So the versatility in hero pools that’s actually needed to avoid annoying people and “throwing” their games is way bigger than most people think. :sweat_smile:

So because of that, I settle for people just trying their best. Makes us both happier.

I mean we don’t need to, if you one trick Mei the likelihood of you playing in my matches where people know how to swap and can play other heroes extremely low, our sr range differentiates massively, that explains why I’ve never seen you in any of my qp matches, but the devs have said they are open to bringing them back no matter what one tricks want

In my opinion I would rather have fun on the hero I want to play than try to force the idea that ‘winning is fun’.

I would rather have fun playing a round of QP on hammond than play rectangle man because my team doesn’t want to position properly.

2 Likes

Are people really getting upset over what others play in QP? :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

One big flaw in your argument mate. Experience.

If I have 500 hours on hog and get pressured by my team to play Winston which I only have 10 hours playing, would playing a hero I have basically no experience playing not be considered throwing?

If a junkrat main locks widow I would consider that a bigger throw than them actually playing spamrat to their full potential.

4 Likes