(PvE) what's the difference between the Breachers and Detanators in OW2?

The Null Sector Breacher which is this guy: (skip to 20:58)

And the Null Sector Detonator which is this guy: (skip to 7:47)

The Breacher and Detonator both have one same goal: reach an objectif, and explode dealing damage to it.

I gotta ask; what’s the difference between these two units?

Thoughts

Breacher seems to have a longer cast time and a more obvious effect to when its about to explode but thats all i guess.

4 Likes

Breacher seems to be a redesign of the Detonator concept. There’s not much of a difference.

3 Likes

One goes big boom and the other goes little boom. That’s about all I got.

2 Likes

The Detonator has a huge critspot in its core that even non-headshot weapons like Zarya’s or Reinhardt’s can trigger.

The Breacher does not.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Breacher by lore is the upgrade of Detonator. All previous units from Uprising (with an exception of Bastion, at least now) got upgraded. The unit with two claws is upgraded OR-14-NS which is upgraded OR-14 “Idina”.

4 Likes

Eh, this is a bit more debatable.

• Null Troopers have been upgraded the most obviously.

• Detonators is the topic of this thread.

• OR14s were upgraded as OR15s, but we have not seen Null Sector employ these yet, just Numbani. I don’t think the Artillery/Obliterators are upgrades of these, I think they are a new model entirely.

• Bastions you already excepted.

• Slicers looked exactly the same to me from the trailer, but it is still early gameplay footage, that is subject to change.

The big two I disagree with are the aforementioned OR14s, and the Eradicators. These enemies are seemingly (and imo disappointingly) absent from the modern forces of Null Sector.

1 Like

OR-14 “Idina” is OR from First Omnic Crisis.
It got used by Null Sector to create OR-14-NS and by Numbani to create OR-15.
Both of them failed their purpose.
Efi Oladele used OR-15 to create Orisa while Null Sector likely used OR-14-NS to create new OR at 0:46. You can clearly see it’s the same skeleton but it has way different design around that. More slim and this time with two blades. But remember, it’s just animation, model itself isn’t yet finished.

1 Like

I completely forgot about that. I thought by “two claws” you meant the Artillery/Obliterator that has two claw-shaped cannons. Yeah that is a fair point, let’s see how it turns out.

Looking back, I think the design of the Breacher is pretty good, but the sfx for both the countdown, and detonation, along with the explosion visuals could definitely be improved. I see a plasma/energy charge preparing for an impressive detonation, and yet we get an average shaped charge “C4 blast”

In terms of engineering design, the Breacher only shows it’s weak spot unless it’s about to blow, even if it still has a head shot zone, but it’s extreme weight on the back means it would take significantly longer to get up it if it lost it’s balance. Earthshatter should be last much longer against them, or at least it would with some realism in play.

The Detonator on the other hand is overall near perfect in terms of literally everything, except as to why exactly the inside is super heated, which brings in it’s own quandaries of how such a design would work (other than by blasting molten fluid over a target).

The fact that it’s armor gets destroyed by damage revealing a vulnerable inside is something I hadn’t expected when I first played Uprising back in '18. Both Locational Damage and Locational Armor in games, can be difficult to both implement and balance while without subtracting from the experience as it’s usually best when only enemies have it, but I’d say they did it quite well, as they made explosive attacks only hit once (Reins hammer and firestike, Genji’s Dragonblade, Bridgette’s basic flail attacks, and Moira’s Coalescence all hit multiple times).

The reason I say this is that targets that have Locational Armor that correlates to the main health pool tend to have the problem of being vulnerable to AOE attacks, (especially from from solid objects that pass through the target’s body like the abilities mentioned above), as it hits each piece of armor like an extra unit being hit. It’s like if 5 slicers are connected to the same health bar that has 2k health, damaging any of them will reduce that health bar, therefore an explosion dealing 50 damage to several of the slicers will actually deal 50 damage times the number of slicers hit, not 50 damage

The new OR by the gameplay is like mix of Tank and Assassin from Talon. Obviously by the lore it’s not like that. OR-14s had blades too but it was one blade per unit. This Null Sector OR has two in opposite to their previous design.