Punishments for disconnects are unreasonable

This game has a broken system for punishments when it comes to disconnecting. For the second time this season, I have had Overwatch crash on me while retaining internet connection. I tried to use task manager to exit overwatch, but it hasn’t been able to close Ovewatch so I had to reboot my computer. I’ve only had this problem during season 10 after the most recent patch. In the most recent game, my team was stomping and I got disconnected about 30 seconds before they won the match. I tried to rejoin but the match had finished and I lost 50SR and got a 10 minute suspension. So a total loss of ~75SR due to an untimely disconnect that was most likely not my fault. Is this actually a good strategy, blizzard?

4 Likes

Yeah I am getting the same issue. Which GPU are you using?

Nvidia GTX 970 (lksdfaklsfjsadkjlfdfjskl)

I’ve had disconnections too, and at one point, a blackout. Unfortunately, those who have sunk to disconnecting their routers and whatnot due to unbridled gamer rage moments have made it difficult for those who are genuinely having connectivity issues.

I imagine it’s hard to differentiate between an actual disconnect and a forced one, so it’s a very slippery slope in this regard :confused:

I don’t report leavers as much nowadays because I don’t know (unless they blatantly make it obvious, like saying “I’m Done” or something akin to this), but I do if they’re toxic to begin with and don’t come back, and even then I have my reservations about them. Still sucks when it happens though :expressionless:

1 Like

I’ve had connection issues this recent patch too.

I think a better solution to this problem would be to force a 1 minute pause upon a disconnect. After that minute allow the players to choose to resume the game or continue to pause. Legit game crashes or modem failures can take a couple minutes to fix and implementing pauses would save some headache.

Ok so it’s not an AMD problem. I thought maybe the latest driver update had something to do with it.

When it happens my screen freezes and for like 10 seconds I can still hear people in voice chat. I go to task manager but I can’t do anything. Not even access normal Windows functions. I have to switch my machine off physically. Seems like a problem with this latest patch for sure.

I had the same problem, but I managed to rejoin the game and won the match and I still lost 50 sr …

It’s unfortunate for those who get disconnected, but if there wasn’t some sort of consequence involved then it opens up an avenue for SR manipulation. If a team is about to lose a match one of the 6 players unplugs their router, disconnecting them from the game and sparing their team the SR loss they’d get from losing. If it were possible to do this word would spread like wildfire and SR manipulation in this manner would be rampant. Folks would demand a fix. And we’d be right back to where we are today.

I think adding pauses would fix this. It would at least sort out those who are trying to fix a game crash or restart a modem from those who are dodging.

sounds just like my problem. Freezes but i can still hear everything, still hear my friend on skype, etc. But i have to restart

you even still can hear your team in voice chat …

While I understand the frustration, it’s simply impossible to monitor that the player leaving is legit. A system where a disconnect means you don’t lose SR or get punished, would be abused, where people purposefully disconnect to avoid losing SR.

And it’s impossible for the server to detect why there is a disconnection, all it can know is that the link was broken, the reason behind so is beyond any system to know.

I never said it shouldn’t punish, im saying the current punishments are unreasonable. -25 is typically reasonable for leaving. But should i be punished if i d/c at the end of a game that we were stomping? thats -75 which is absurd. I tried to reconnect and i think it should have just given me a win. But in typical leaver situations where the leaver doesn’t return within the time allotment they should receive -25.

The punishment needs to be severe to discourage people from doing it on purpose, and unfortunately that does strike everyone. Even if you’re not doing it on purpose.

And yet even with 75 people are still leaving matches. So even that isn’t severe enough.

i don’t understand how you lost 75SR though. is it not 50?

It was effectively ~75 because i lost 50 for the d/c and my friend that was on my team told me they won shortly after i d/c and i didnt have time to r/c. So -50sr for d/c and the win didnt count(~25sr) even though i had been kicking butt all game

lol i see, i know it sucks but its fair. You just get your blanket 50SR loss and move on, believe me you will get it back in no time. I actually lost 100SR in one day once, after the game pathced and it kept not loading me into the game and i was just stuck on the Team A vs Team B screen and couldn’t select a hero until i was kicked for being AFK, i later came across another person on our team saying the same after he was just afk. Feelsbadman esp because it was of no fault of mine.

See this thread please, it’s known issue with the patch if your game is completely freezing/crashing your computer https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/game-freezing-and-crashing-after-latest-patch-compendium-first-week-of-may-2018/91092

It also started happening to me, very frustrating

2 Likes

You know the reason we have these punishment is to reduce incentive? It’s so the player disconnecting bears the majority of the risk. We aren’t doing this to protect you from yourself. They are in place to protect the poor teammates you cause a loss. These are the same as compensation rules irl.

The only thing unreasonable is how short of a time it gives you to reconnect.

If you disconnect before the 1 minute mark it cancels the game, but after that, you get almost no time to reconnect before it punishes you no matter what. Many computers can’t even clear the crashed launcher, load the launcher again, then load the game and join the match before the timer is up. Why would I rejoin if I’m just going to be punished? I’d rather just bring everyone down for a loss with me at that point.

1 Like