Publish the Matchmaking Algorithm

And a lot of us haven’t.

That’s how it works. Not everybody improves at the same pace.

Except keeping players addicted to comp has nothing to do with directly giving Blizzard money. It may give them publicity which is also valuable, but they don’t mean the same thing. This game generates money off of cosmetics/lootboxes, not p2w or playtime. Even OW2 is unnecessary for the competitive players, whatever it may be priced at.

1 Like

Agree, but the unprofessional clowns who wrote the alg probably don’t even use the Harmonic mean. Harmonic is what you want for parallel operations and combined efforts. OW is a team game so people work together, not in a series.

Harmonic:
3/((1/2400)+(1/2400)+(1/1450)) = 1970 avg.
3/((1/1700)+(1/2600)+(1/1950)) = 2019 avg.

Not big differences but important for completion and correctness.

1 Like

I agree, I think Blizzard’s customers have a right to this information in the terms of use for these products.

2 Likes

I’m a little confused on why you think a harmonic mean would be more apt here?

You state:

But this isn’t true, at least not from my knowledge of harmonic means I learned while learning engineering.

A harmonic mean would be used when averaging different rates being performed together, not simply when a task is being performed together.

You use the terms parallel and series, so I’ll apply it to circuits since that’s something I know fairly well: the reason that a resistor network would use the harmonic mean when the resistors are parallel is because the current flowing across them is at a rate of time. The change in charge with respect to time across the network is occurring simultaneously but at different values, and so you would need to use a harmonic mean because these rates are different between elements of the circuit.

Because these things are time derivatives with different denominators (the currents), we have to use a harmonic mean which would allow us to ignore common denominators, otherwise the resistance values would not hold up.

However, in Overwatch our ranks are not time derivatives. They aren’t rates at all. At least not explicitly.

The assumption here is that two individuals, ranked differently, would need to use a harmonic mean in order to determine the correct average of their ranks, but this requires that we have these values as a rate of something. A rank, however, does not determine the rate at which an action is performed for instance: it is only used to determine someone’s general efficacy on the ladder.

Harmonic means are also used in instances to mitigate the impact of an outlier, but it actually doesn’t do that in this instance, it agitates the impact of the outlier as per your own calculations.

Perhaps you could use harmonic means when averaging the ranks of individual roles in the match, but it would be very difficult to do so across roles. I could see an argument, for instance, that a rank indirectly represents a DPS’s ability to kill a target within a period of time, and the higher the rank the faster they would achieve that goal. I don’t believe this would be a correct usage, though. Contrast that with a DPS vs a Support, what task would you compare across them?

I may be misunderstanding something, as my knowledge in statistics is not well polished, but my understanding of harmonic means would suggest it isn’t the correct answer in this situation.

You think wrong. Knowing that info is by no means a right.

2 Likes

No, you absolutely do not have a right to someone else’s intellectual property.

3 Likes

I totally agree with this. I honestly think the matchmaker is the way it is, because it’s the most profitable system. Not because it’s the best or the fairest. The goal of the matchmaker is to keep people playing as much as possible. ENd of story.

1 Like

Translation. Play a lot. One trick the hero you perform best on for best results

It’s only IP if it’s rigged lmao. You can’t patent well-established fairness.

I can assure you of one part of the algorithm is that the put in at least 2 throwing tanks or a guaranteed DC when you are just about to climb into the next rank. It sounds so unbelievable but to me it seems like an obvious pattern I see time and time again.

1 Like

As if this “intellectual property” was even worth anything. The only value is in the secret, and lying to players about what they actually doing in “competitive play.”

OHHH BLIZZARD. You figured out how to measure player’s performance with an algorithm, like any person could do just by looking at a scoreboard. You’re such geniuses!! Blizzard for POTUS

3 Likes

Blizzard Activision have to much shady stuff happening to publish any info on match making.

2 Likes

They will never publish it because it would show how shady of a company they are. They constantly rig the matchmaker to force people to have 50% win rates and make it nearly impossible to climb unless you regularly play in at least a group of 4. There is enough proof already that something is seriously wrong with it as plat players will get bronze player on their team while going against master ranked players.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that so few people seem to trust this game’s matchmaker or SR system.

2 Likes

no, its just rhainsict commenting on everyone like he has any idea how anything works. let’s just face the facts, they won’t publish the alg bc it’ll obviously have outrage because the continuous people who came in here and complain are not crazy, the matchmaker is ridiculously bad and they don’t want people to climb. Gives them more revenue and more fake monthly logins.

3 Likes

I lul’d at this. Ez data spin for the shareholders. 40 million active players - but I only see the same 20 burner accounts in my bronze matches. Fewer unique accounts “recent players” over a whole season than all of T500.

1 Like

Remember that you are in lower bronze where there isn’t a lot of people.

You are on the forums what did you expect.

And the people who are ‘correctly’ there are supposed to be pressing F1, playing the map for the first time, and lucky to have monitors=on.

Why is every match alien-tier 1clip the bait target force bubble hard-swap 3x blink juke hook sticky recall onto an ulting pharah like it’s a alpha.watch ?

1 Like

It would be interesting to know if the game director knows how the matchmaking works in detail and if he likes it.

Yes, and that actually made soft throwing or 6 stack c9 throwing much harder. Since if you spawn camp the enemy the entire match and let them cap the point and win, you lose very small amount of sr lol😂