šŸ”· PTR: "You can try it, but we're gonna put it on live anyway"

Itā€™s almost as if people stopped caring when they realized the PTR is just a gloried bug test and thereā€™s no actual desire for player feedbackā€¦
Imagine that.

6 Likes

No, they reverted a buff they made to McCree in PTR too.

I think thereā€™s only two instances where they took out something they pushed to PTR

• Moira Fade buff (escape stuns)
  • Orisa firing movement penalty

Other than that, I canā€™t recall any feedback being listened to from the PTR.

Allegedly there was a McCree buff, but I donā€™t recall.

This is all blizzard games now, welcome to Bobby Kotickā€™s world.

Michael Morhaime is the head of Blizzard right now though I highly doubt he gets involved in the weeds of what PTRs are and are not for.

Thatā€™s how it worked even when they said they were going to listen in their ā€œexperimental PTRā€ in 2016. We are nothing more than unpaid bug testers. Theoretically I donā€™t mind that, but the contempt they show players on a regular basis makes it not worth helping them.

They said the same back when the sample size was near 1 million. Any other field doing testing would kill for participation rates like Blizzard has/had.

But heā€™s not really the one pulling the strings, we all know that

They said this in an attempt at revisionist history. They said they wanted our feedback, then did nothing with it. When this came back to bite them, back during early D.Va debacle, they said ā€œitā€™s just for bug testingā€, and then promptly archived their own threads stating the contrary.

1 Like

Maybe you must be part of a group of testers where they tend to listen more. They have their own testing lobby in Blizzard probably. You are right. PTR maybe nothing more than trying to find bugs. More or less they already made the final decision to buff or nerf before it even makes it to PTR.

You can still access it, just canā€™t post.

We did, they didnā€™t listen going all the way back to 2016.

Not necessarily. A sample of a couple hundred can be incredibly accurate for a population of hundreds of thousands.

Actually, because people can just choose to play PTR, and nothing is forcing them to/there is no reward for doing it, itā€™s more indicative of a non-biased sample than anything.

I will say this, when probably less than one percent of the eligible population of overwatch even plays the ptrā€¦what is there to listen to? people who play one game and make a conclusion?

You already said it, they are testing for bugs essentially.

If you go on the PTR and expect any of your feedback to be heard at this stage thatā€™s really on you. Just donā€™t play there, nobody is forcing you.

We all know he is except for the conspiracy theorists who like to pretend that something has changed. I do not know if its rose-colored glasses or if they were just too young to notice but Blizzard has been the same company before the merger and after it and the corporate structure is set up to ensure that for obvious reasons (hint: if a company is successful you do not get in the way of that success).

I am assuming you are not one of those crazy people who thinks that though.

There are over 40 million copies of Overwatch sold, and letā€™s say only 1/10th remain as active players that is 4 million players. Half of 1% gets us to over 20,000 players. 20,000 players is a significant number, and they should be taken seriously given the devs arenā€™t even a fraction of that number.

I do remember when they let bastion with 50% damage reduction on live, had to immediately revert it because of how unbalanced it was lmao

go to ptr, and see how long it takes for a match, and then tell me how high of quality of a match that was. if its just people not caring, you arenā€™t going to see the full effects of the changes, and then people come here, mad about it, and say it sucks or isnt enough

1 Like

Well last time their said radius of the doom ult should be what? 5 meters or something? and then it ended up being even smaller to the point where he has close to the worst ult in the game.