Political topics should banned on the forums

But the sad thing is, people make their position their identity. So that’s all they know. They need actual help :frowning:

Balance debates gets more toxic, gotta shut those down as well I guess huh

Because that topic, which is fine to talk about completely, isn’t against the rules, and is important to many people, has toxic people in it, so that topic is a no no.

Sorry, it’s not impractical to ban toxic people. There will always be toxic people, but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about topics because of it.

2 Likes

Very very few times I’ve seen people actually “defend their points” in the way you are claiming they do. They just shout “GET YOUR POLITICS OUT OF MY GAME”, without defining explicitly why it’s political, and I sincerely doubt they aren’t looking for this uncomfortable topic for them to be shut down in order to hold the same argument as you, “this is too controversial for the forums”. But I don’t think they should be banned, that will gain us nothing. Maybe some day they will understand they don’t have to click on a topic they don’t like.

Also, please be a dear and define “Gender politics” for me please? I think you should add that definition to the OP, so we can all have this discussion on an even footing.

3 Likes

I think you’re confusing my point a bit.

The thing that’s bad about political topics is that they devolve a lot, and most of the time it becomes really off topic from Overwatch, and the fact that it’s important to a lot of people (myself included) doesn’t change that. And it’s not like it’s a one off thing. It happens a lot, and they all end the same way. They all become cesspools.

I think that you misunderstood me a lot on this part. What I meant is that it’s less practical to do so without clearer lines about what is and isn’t acceptable. The sensitive nature of the topic, however, makes it really hard to do so without picking sides (which wouldn’t look very good on blizzard’s part), so I think that the best solution is to prevent political topics from being discuss altogether, or in a designated space

No LGBT threads even ones that relate to lore, apparently.

2 Likes

anyways, good news! There is a megathread!

You’re welcome to participate if you have respectful and productive input. It’s fallen under the radar because we got moved to the less-visible story discussion.

2 Likes

I’m in no authority to define it here. That blood is on Blizzard’s hands. I’m sure that you get the basic idea, however

Stop calling it a political topic, it’s not. You’re the only one making it political so people can’t talk about it. Blizzard already has shown that LGBT topics are allowed.

All you’re arguing is that they should ban LGBT topics because they end badly. Which I’ve given a few reasons as to why that’s really bad thinking.
Also would look VERY bad. Infact I know it will be on social media everywhere if they did it.

2 Likes

That’s the intent. As I’ve said, I’ve never seen one that doesn’t devolve to that state.

Yes, I’m fine with those. It’s political topics that I have an issue with. There’s a difference.

But I don’t think Blizzard ever used the expression “Gender politics” (if they did, send a link please), you did. This is your thread, so I think the responsibility falls on you.

The megaythread is awesome (you did a great job) but I’m not sure if it’s the place to discuss things like pride events or sprays, since that belongs in the game, not in the lore, imho. Which is why I think these topics very well belong in the General Discussion board.

2 Likes

You argued in other threads specifically LGBT, your intent is still there.
It doesn’t dissolve into political because of the topic itself btw, it does it because of horrible people. That’s the issue, stop making the topic the issue.

1 Like

What “political topics” have ever been discussed here? Share some examples?

2 Likes

I’m confused by what you mean by this, care to explain?

It’s a combination of both. People share their opinions on it, and because of the topics sensitive nature, it tends to derail from overwatch and onto real world issues, and I’m decently sure that that’s not what people come onto the forums to talk about. In other words, it’s not because of this topic specifically, it’s because the topic is sensitive.

Most don’t start out political. They tend to form from “devolution”. LGBTQ+ topics just happen to be what they tend to devolve from the most because of their sensitive nature. Sadly, I don’t have any specific links on me at the moment, but I’m sure that you’ll find some if you look.

I agree, though they do come up every so often. There’s no reason why they can’t be in general discussion if “What non-OW games do you like?” is just dandy. That one’s even less relevant.

So are you saying… It derails because of people?
The topic could be most anything else, and if it derailed the same way… would it be because of the topic? Or how people handle the topic?

If it’s how people handle the topic, then it’s… their fault right? Not the topic?

Blizzard could probably find a way to police their way around the topics devolving, but that sounds like it could take a decent bit of work on their part. It’d be easier to ban the topic altogether, so that it doesn’t have a chance to devolve.

I disagree, and if this is your basic belief, than there is nothing I can do because it’s just a opinion. Banning a topic is censorship, and “because it devolves” isn’t a good reason to ban it, and will cause way more issue.
But if you believe so, then that’s it, end of discussion I guess.

So:

1. Despite your denial a few posts back, this is still about the LGBTQ+ topics. Proof: you haven’t been able to bring up any other political topic that may be causing controversy (and the onus still is on you, you are making the claim that this happens).
  2. You are still victim blaming, because apparently it’s the threads’ OP’s fault people can’t handle a certain topic maturely. Proof:

Stop calling for censorship. This is the reason your other thread (and that other “Stop wanting LGBT stuff” too) was -not false- flagged.

4 Likes

I honestly think that, for the sake of bringing some order to the forums, a Gameplay Board is necessary, and the balancing topics/complaints about QP/complains about OTs should go there. It’s a huge category and relevant enough to be on its own subforums.

General discussion should remain the “entryway” to the forums, and a place for the miscellaneous threads to end up in. Including requests for events or sprays or “X nationality” heroes. (Ok maybe the last one could go in Story Discussion, that’s debatable).

As rare as they are in comparison, topics evolve into political topics outside of LGBTQ+ topics. I can’t name any specific threads, but they happen.

I never said anything about other OPs, nor did I ever claim that they’re the ones letting it happen, and your quote doesn’t prove that. It just shows my proposed solution to the rather high “LGBTQ->Politics Ratio”.

There’s such a thing as good censorship. For example, no one wants to see r34 tracer everywhere on the forums. This ties back to my original point: no one comes to the forums wanting to get into political topics