Policy on Smurfs

100 levels takes a very long time. Honestly 25 takes a long time too. I will never support raising the requirement to appease people who think smurfs somehow negatively impact their diamond-level games.

Overwatch knows where they belong within the first handful of games they play. If they’re in diamond queues, then that’s likely about where their main is/was too. If not, they’re likely throwing games to stay at an easier rank than they belong in, which is a completely separate issue.

2 Likes

There’s no financial incentive to deal with the problem. They already got their money out of us so we can suck eggs and fall asleep watching GOATS on OWL.

3 Likes

So what I’m about to say might seem odd but hear me out…

I don’t care about having to play vs smurfs. At least at my current level of ability. I can beat most smurfs. The problem is a lot harder to explain then the issue of just smurfing. The double edge sword has a lot more negatives then just copies sold.

• Object of a smurf is to stay at a certain rank. They are not invest to climb out of x rank. Either way they have to “lose”/throw games to back down.
  • They do enough to appear they are not throwing. This is the reason you have games of “lost steam”.
  • The rng of what type of player you are going to get
    1: The player that wants to win and is invested in climbing
    2: The smurf that currently cares about winning
    3: The smurf that currently doesn’t cares about winning
    4: The smurf that decided their mmr is too high and wants to lower it.
    There are probably more examples but you get the idea.

It’s rng because of the 11 other or so people you are matched with. It’s fine if you won the rng lottery but sucks if you didn’t. Even after all of this is the player that should be there. Which right now seems to depend on how many times they’ve gotten carried somehow

And that’s fine, the game will slowly die out then and be 80% smurfs and 20% full time players. Slowly but surely that number will get higher and higher and higher and Blizz will be forced to do something about it. From what I’ve seen is that most people as well as Blizz don’t seem to think that smurfs are an issue, but pretty much every other game I play is with smurfs and I’ve had enough of it.

1 Like

Game needs just rewards for long time player and these portrait border are nothing and a joke. One day they praised their holy “big” player base about Millions player (well, that were just sold copies on all platforms and not the actual player base).
3 years later still no graphical statistic about how many player did things about X and Y stuff.
They did it with WoW, Diablo and other companies like Riot Games and their Leauge of Legends doing this graphical stuff, i don’t remember the designation of it.
I would like to see as example:
1 000 000 sec overtime player had since launch of Overwatch
5 000 000 000 times spammed “I need healing” by Genjis etc.
I hope you know what i mean. :smiley:

Phone verification for playing comp

3 Likes

One tell is when they have “smurf” in their name :smile:
It’s incredibly common on console.

Hanzo is a bad example to use, as he is relatively luck-based. Maybe it was a game where the player was lucky.

and fun thing is that people like this always try to prove as hard as they can that they’re not smurfing, that it’s their only account and they are just good at the game because of thousands and thousands of hours spent on other FPS games, it’s sad

1 Like

So true! Every time I run into a level 2-15 smurf he/she says:

“Oh i’m a console player and I am in top 500”

Always know it’s a smurf then.

You can’t say that, you have to protect the cheaters. They need our help to thrive.
:rofl:

Come QP, their is alot of aimbot user.
Hell, in QP even random gold get better aim and tracking than pro.

Until now, every single report I’ve made end-up with a note the next day saying they was punished. Dunno if it’s efficient, but it’s already that.

free weekers cannot play comp

QP cant really be judged cause QP has ZERO matchmaking attached to it along with arcade. You see as much as 1.5K SR spreads in those 2 modes and its 100 percent inexcusable as both those modes are much more popular than competitive and thus have more people actively queing.

It’s time for the white knights to come to a simple reality. The game is dead and has been for liek 5 seasons now.

Also don’t forget about boosters. I see them really often on PS4. Two 25-30 lvls from diamond in party with 1500 lvl from platinum. I think you get it.

I would be surprised if they didn’t know EXACTLY what was going on, but the money is in OWL now so we can all get stuffed essentially =\

I agree, Blizzard’s systems MIXING in smurffs has truly ruined the game. It has been a major problem since November of 2017 when they made the decision that it no longer mattered how much account time a player had. If the person had 2 games they did well in. They suddenly moved them clear on up into normal matches with the player base that have experience in playing.

however, we cannot blame the smurff themselves. Because its blizzards job to BUILD A MATCH for us. The Smurff doesn’t chose the match, Blizzard does.

Smurffing was already a growing problem, because of Public profiles, so I will give Blizzard props that public profiles were made with the option to go private. Which reduces the problem. But it does not solve the issue of Player Liability. A competitive match can never be genuine, because of the system we have, and it means a person will NEVER have a fair match, as long as the system operates this way.

The person with the smurff account has NOTHING to lose.

Two thoughts come to mind here:

1. People playing all out on a new account is not bad, its annoying to get stuck against one, but honestly, some are just that good to start… but we all know the vast majority are not, but so what? As long as they don’t throw, the system will sort them out. Multiple accounts are not in violation of TOS or should be considered bad, but throwing to fight low against folks… lame… now, on that point…

2. Machine-learning AI tools are become a serious thing, I mean, its for real, and Blizz indicated I think during summer they are working to implement a system that will detect this sort of thing we are talking about. This very well could be the big new thing they are talking about. I work in the field that uses UEBA - User Entity Behavioral Analytics, and the kind of fingerprints of behavior that throwers and smurfs cannot help but have are easily detected over time. There is no hiding from this on an account ultimately as the behavior of throwing or doing too erratically bad then doing very well stands out along with excessive leaving of games, etc. All a system needs to do this is study your record over time to make a determination, and the more data it has the more predictive it becomes.

Eventually most if not all serious multiplayer games will use it - and the pressure will be on those that don’t to do it as it will be a better game experience for all. Trust me, the day is coming very shortly where if Blizz follows through, it will get significantly better as people throwing/smurfing will see their opponents will be correctly given to them unlike now.

Hang on, let’s not absolve them of everything… Blizzards definitely at fault for the complete lack of a stand on the issue due to making money off of them, but these people are still deliberately ruining the game for others.

1 Like

I dont like the smurff problem any more than anyone else here. But we have to look at this from a lawful stand point. :slight_smile:

The player purchases a NEW account. By law, the Federal Trade commission states that a person paying for any goods or service has LAWFULLY done so, provided they have NOT stolen money in order to do so.

When that player activates that account and begins playing. They are NOT selecting which specific match they are going to enter. Which means they have ZERO control over where they go. They selected “Quick play”. or competitive. Thats all Blizzard allows us to do.

We have multiple circumstances here, where someone would purchase a NEW account.

• Player could have LOST their account due to forgetting a password.
  • Player could have a bricked computer and no way back into their account.
  • Player went from being a Console to pc player
  • Player account was STOLEN and they have no way back into it.

We, ourselves as gamers only see 1 thing, and that is, their level on their account. We simply cannot ask someone every time why they bought a new account.

But rest assured I still agree that it is BLIZZARD’S problem. and by law, the person didn’t do anything wrong. They paid blizzard for an account :slight_smile: