Pocketing is the best way to get value out of mercy

prove me wrong if you have anything to say about it.
:eyes:

1 Like

It’s true, and it’s also why if your team begged for a Rein and the other healer is Zen or Lucio you should swap to Ana/Moira/Bap (whichever you feel most comfortable on but Ana is the “best” of them right now).

2 Likes

That’s true. But I still hate the selfish dps players who think the Mercy should pocket them only, the whole game. Like I just had a game where our Ashe legit yelled at me for healing our Ana and helping her with the tanks for a second…

4 Likes

True and pretty obvious for a POCKET HEALER?

1 Like

I mean… it is her design.

Uhmm… yes

And this floor is made out of floor.

I mean, it is not like that she is designed to be a pocket support, no no, it is something else

Well, if the DPS you are paired with can’t hit anything, then pocketing is useless.

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I don’t doubt it, OP, but I find it much more fun to use Mercy’s top-tier mobility to zip about and help whoever needs it. If the optimal strategy is drop-dead boring from my point of view then I’m not gonna use it.

7 Likes

You have to when youre in high rank which makes Mercy pretty boring sometimes…

1 Like

In that case, it’s time to pick a better support for the situation you’re in (or maybe it’s just time to pull out THE GLOCK)

3 Likes

Luckily for me, I don’t ever have to worry about playing in high rank. I’m free to continue being a filthy fun-haver. :relieved:

1 Like

It depends a bit on what exactly you mean by “pocketing”.

Mercy’s design makes it necessary to hang onto a target for a moment to achieve anything, so fluttering around the battlefield changing targets every second won’t achieve much more than making the Mercy a harder target. But also, if you hard-pocket someone, latching onto a single hero for the entire match (or nearly so), you’re ignoring two thirds of your team (who also need healing, and could use damage boost). As usual, the real best solution lies between the extremes - where exactly, depends on a lot of things, including the skills of individual players.

1 Like

A bad Mercy only pockets 1 person, a good Mercy pockets her whole team.
Beam juggling, applying the dmgboost where it’s most efficient and baiting enemy CD’s with her mobility are best way to get value with her.
It goes a long when if you know how to waste a Tracers time chasing you, all while you still heal and dmg boost your team. effectively you’re removing an enemy from the fight, while you yourself still participate in it.

Just that most Mercy players are really bad with gamesense, positioning and maximizing GA.
Also most don’t know how to proper damageboost. They just latch onto 1 DPS and hope for the best. OFC you get much value if that DPS is a GM smurf and wrecks havoc. He would, tho, without Mercy too. You get 0 value if your DPS of choice is bad. Shows in certain players (EU) who duo and hardpockets the duoDPS and just get obliterated bc they JUST pocket only them.

1 Like

I managed to get to mid master this season by just maximizing GA and baiting enemies.
I literally have, since day 1, refused to only pocket 1 DPS on the team. And I still managed to climb to masters last and this season on 2 accounts.

I sometimes get flamed by the Ashe player for not pocketing, but I still have a solid 60% WR on my alt and a 55% on this acc.
You don’t have to only pocket 1 person in high ranks…

You’re not wrong and that’s one of the reasons why Mercy needs a rework.

And? Kinda the whole point of the character its like saying playing brig is good when they are running dive

Does no one remember Mercy 1.0 who could pocket but was looked down on for doing it? Mercy wasn’t just about pocketing and her gameplay being shifted to that was a massive misstep on the Devs’ part.

1 Like

So much this ^^^^^!

Mercy in ye olden days was the main healer. This only changed when her healing output was nerfed in favor of a pocket damage-boost bot play style, after her (ill-advised, IMHO) ult re-design.

Why they thought that would be a good idea is beyond me. Current Mercy is a pale shadow of what she used to be.

1 Like

I think that’s kind of the point, she had immense impact that isn’t needed now.

But is it a good design philosophy to trade away fun for balance? Pong is very much a balanced game, but I don’t think Overwatch should aspire to go that way.

I think the dominance of healing in Overwatch is mostly due to the over-abundance of AoE heals, rather than because of single-target healers.

1 Like