Please we need Role Select

Just as the title says. We need some way to organize with other players who specialize in a particular type of hero.

If it is not role select specifically, can it be something else? I try to fill in competitive games but keep finding myself being forced to switch off reaper, or switch off lucio. I literally had someone abuse me over voice chat today to switch to soldier to deal with a pharah.

I am crappy at soldier. But we needed one, so I switched off reaper. We lost faster than if I was possibly reaper. (my ult was on 80 something % but this one dude told me switch off now, so I did)

I know some might argue the fact that I should practice soldier, or aiming heroes (hitscan). But I have, and failed at that. I also enjoy and derive more fun from playing as reaper and even lucio.

Competitive isn’t fun when no one can play the roles they have to play in the team match up. But this is just my opinion. I would love to hear everyone’s point of view.

The disadvantages to role select is that it defines the meta, much like how changing Competitive to only allow one hero at any time did back in Competitive Season 1. How restricted should the game become? Right now, its common to run three supports as long as one is Brigitta. Should that be not allowed? What about fully pre-made teams of 6? Should they be restricted to a 2-2-2?

We may get a role select, but these are the questions the developers are asking themselves. Do however remember we are getting new social tools coming very soon to Overwatch:

That’s a great point! And thanks for sharing this with me. I guess I have to trust Blizz and see what they come out with in Summer.

My buddy actually had a good idea. Basically, the game would prevent DPS picks until 1 main tank and 1 main healer had been selected. Not a forced role queue/preference but, it would force some sort of workable team comp for, at the very least, the first team fight lol

Role queue for ranked competitive wouldn’t really work. There’s too many instances where swapping roles with team members/deviating from 2/2/2 is necessary, either to counter the enemy’s team comp or allow your teammates to swap off something that isn’t working without forcing them onto a hero they can’t play.

A 2/2/2 role queue in an unranked practice mode would be a really good idea though. Would give people a place to practice new heroes without tilting their teammates in ranked or wasting time trying to actually learn things in the 3 sniper/3 flanker clown fiesta that is QP.