Please stop asking for Mercy nerfs

There’s NOTHING to tone down with her.

Blizzard made the mistake of making Mercy viable in every comp.

Giving her an ability that outshines every other healer’s.

Providing her an AoE heal that she lacked in the first place.

It’s not Mercy or the Mercy players fault her viability is so high.

Really it’s Blizzard. They took away Mercy’s niche and just made her never a bad pick.

They nerfed Ana because she was “too strong”.

They released Moira AFTER the Mercy rework-and are just NOW fixing a bug that wouldn’t do that bad, but with New Symm’s ult just shows how vital that bug was to Moira’s utility.

Unless Blizzard steps up and go “yeah Mercy’s rework didn’t go as plan” and take the time to rework her so she has a niche again, or releases another main healer with emphasis on healing; then I’m sorry just deal with Mercy’s viability.

5 Likes

I can though. Person said she was the only capable support. Just because she’s been in meta doesn’t mean she’s been the only viable support.

she does not have “only” healing

she has the best mobility, she has rez (and thats a huge thing), she has a powerful ultimate that can be used to heal or dmg boost multiple targets, she has dmg boost and a strong self heal.

she is not just “healing”… on top of her kit she has the most reliable healing, and after the ptr the monopol on healing through barriers effectivly.

2 Likes

I don’t see that as a particular problem. I’d still rather see buffs else where compared to nerfing.

And i’d rather avoid powercreep altogether.

2 Likes

If you have concerns that Mercy is too strong i recommend posting them to official feedback megathread for balance team to read.

Literally no-one has said that she’s the only capable support except you. The closest people have come to saying that is saying that every other healer in comparison looks bad.

And with the sole exception of Zenyatta, that is true.

No healer comes close to Mercy, which is especially jarring when Ana/Moira/Lucio should all perform extremely well in the current meta which heavily emphasizes their strengths as AoE/Deathball healers.

2 Likes

You’re not understanding. I don’t know how to spell it out any other way than I did in my opening post. Her primary job/function is to heal. Rez/damage boost are side things that’s she’s not doing constantly.

Zen constantly has to discord people or him as a pick is pointless. Ana has to constantly cc HVT’s with her sleep dart and make proper plays with her bio nade or she’s pointless. As the damage/heals she does on her own are not enough to justify her situation. etc.

Mercy can get away without being super on top of damage boosting important targets. And mercy doesn’t have to be rezing often if she’s keeping people alive. Her healing is the most important thing she does. Which is why I say “she only has heals.”

It’s almost like Mercy is a “pure” healer, and the others are “hybrid” healers.

If your team already has enough damage, all you need is sustain.

And it just so happens that the hero that is the most focused on healing and sustain fits into that.

If you want the other healers to sustain a fight like Mercy, they will need to become less hybrid and more pure.

If you want Mercy to have less sustain, she would need to be less pure and more of a hybrid. However, this would go against Mercy’s character design and serve to further homogenize the game.

7 Likes

This is contradictory. You people refer to supports as healer. War said that she was the only healer. I said that she wasn’t the only capable support.

So either you need to fix your terminology and pick one term. Or you need to recognize that supports are not just healing. And then we can have a decent discussion. Until then i’ve nothing more to say to you.

Mercy is probably too good especially for how easy she is use. There is almost no room to make a hero that can compete with her that won’t be just as required

Let say they release another healer who is her Equal. You would just have 2 must play healers and no one would die outside of One Shots and Ultimates.

Thanks for this. I’m glad someone understands supports on a better level.

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with most of what you said, except for the above. Ana is not where she is due to Mercy at this very moment, she is where she is because she needs to be more viable across all ranks.

Nerfing Mercy is a distraction to the core issue to make those few Ana mains and Mercy critics feel better about themselves - which does nothing different to the meta in the long run. Why you may ask? Because then you will have to start thinking about making compromises, on a kit that has finally been mechanically balanced. Compromises that are unnecessary. You would be making a hero worse, just to make them worse, disregarding all those who play her, and alienating that fan base even more.

• Nerf Mercy in what way? Give her less reliable healing so she doesn’t heal / dmg boost through barriers? Sure, and now she is the weakest hero in the game, with no means to defend herself, since she has one of the most defenseless self defense strategies as of now (run away, or pray that your pea shooter saves your life).
  • Okay, how about we Remove res? Negatory, the devs have already stated that res will not be removed. So that is not an option. Even if it was, what will be used to replace it? A preemptive saving ability like Lucio or Zen’s Ult? And then, if that’s the case, why play mercy then? People would just switch to Lucio or Zen, with their superior kits, and most importantly, you’re back to square one with Ana being ignored. Also brownie points: You’ve just pissed off the 3rd largest fan-base in the community by removing the most iconic part of her character besides her “Heroes never die voice-line”. The amount of backlash they would receive would be legendary.
  • Increase her skill ceiling and make her just as difficult to play as Ana? That’s an option, but then, she would need yet another rework. That is once again a risk that would potentially make her OP yet again, for another 5 months. I’m sure people at that point would be tired of being messed with, and that Blizzard isn’t willing to put themselves through that disaster yet again.

So, there isn’t much you can do with Mercy that will suddenly “buff” ana. They fill different niches. Mercy is not the problem, the problem is that Ana needs to be either reworked, buffed, or made more viable. Say that Mercy drops from being the top healer, and is replaced with Zen. Are we just going to nerf everyone at the top spot until all the heroes are un-viable and useless? If so, that’s not a game I would want to play, nor do I find that in the slightest bit healthy game design.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

6 Likes

No problem.

Another way to think of this is that the easier it is to kill someone, the more need there will be for a pure support.

For example, discord orb alone damage boosts the entire team while coordinating and encouraging focus fire. Hanzo is by far and away the most powerful DPS, and is potentially the most powerful version of a DPS to ever exist in the game.

With so much offense, a team can afford to go all in with a healer purely focused on sustain. And if the enemy is also running a similar burst damage comp, a pure healer is exactly what you need to give your team more survivability.

With Symmetra moving to the DPS category with her rework, Supports in Overwatch ARE Healers.

Even off-healers like Brigitte, Lucio and Zen who have a significant part of their toolkit devoted to non-healing aspects, are still primarily healers.

In any case, arguing that Mercy is the only capable healer would mean you’re arguing from a position that Mercy is balanced and the other healers are weak.

People aren’t arguing that. They’re arguing that the other healers are (mostly) fine and that Mercy is incredibly strong to the point where every other healer is weak by comparison.

1 Like

Yeah. There shouldn’t be another support that’s on her level of healing. Mercy is the only pure healer in terms of support. And that in itself creates a balance issue.

I’d personally rather pick another support because they do something else. Not because they do her job but also offer more. That’s just power creep.

Zen is my personal favorite support because of what he does for his team. But I am growing attached to brig because of her overheal capability.

This is the problem with mercy.

She is a strong single target healer that take no mechanical skill to do full healing ouput

She re-position almost anywhere on the map to where healing is required every 2 seconds.

When she is in trouble she can ULT to fly away and AOE heal her team AND SHE CAN REZ PICKS.

How can you possibly make another main healer that can compete with this kit and not be insanely broken in some way?? If this was a DPS heroes kit it would be nerfed into oblivion the first day

1 Like

This is also true. o:

well people are right with what they say…before the rework mercy had the weakness: no AOE… thats gone. maybe that needs to be removed… so she becomes a single target healer again.

The Mercy rework singlehandedly caused the support class to be incredibly stagnant ever since Mercy 2.0 hit live. While Zen + Lucio was THE dive duo, Ana + Zen and Lucio + Mercy were still viable compositions.

If they don’t want to address resurrect at all they’re forcing themselves in a position where they have to nerf other aspects of her kit (probably damage boost, ult rate nerf, and maybe primary healing) to compensate for the absurd power tied to a single ability of her base kit.

2 Likes