PLEASE let us see Ping in the menu screen

The last patch made it so you can only see your ping (or latency now I guess) when you enter a game, however if I want to play competitive I’m not going to into it without knowing I have a good connection. Thus you have to jump into quickplay, check your ping, and leave the game, which wastes your time, the people in quickplay’s time AND you get the penalties of leaving a match so many times.

What was the point in removing it? Why remove a good feature???

2 Likes

You know you can just jump into practice range instead of QP, right?

Also yeah I agree, we do need this feature.

4 Likes

They said that the ping you could see in the menu was the same as at the end of your last match.
It wasn’t accurate at all.

Somehow that didn’t even cross my mind at all actually, whoops.

Still a waste of time though.

Exactly.

Also, asking to readers who’s experienced with coding:
Isn’t this like super easy to implement, especially if it’s just implementing it for the main menu?

There.

1 Like

Changing it so that you CAN see an accurate ping in the menu screen is too much to ask?

Maybe not, but there’s definitely a reason why they removed it completely instead of fixing it.

2 Likes

If they can’t fix things like Doomfist’s bugs then I don’t think they can fix something so simple as a ping counter.

if you press ( ctrl + shift + n ) you can see your actual ping at any time

https://imgur.com/a/uR2fn

Not in the menu screen though?

if your internet sucks so bad that you have to test it each time you play comp, stay out of comp

I do stay out of comp that’s the point??? If I check and my ping is bad then I stay out of comp, if it’s good then I enter a game?
Did you even read the op?

1 Like

Yeah I read it

Get better internet if you can’t rely on it to be stable.

I’m studying abroad and relying on the apartments wi fi lol, lemme just ring up the estate agent and ask for better internet so I can satisfying some asswipe on a videogame forum

1 Like

You’re gaming on shared apartment wi-fi? That’s just asking for trouble.

Even if you have great ping one instant, that’s no guarantee that it won’t suddenly spike and make you lag out mid-game

I’ve been doing it for the past 7 months and it’s been fine so long as I check first. I’m the one doing it here, not you.

You are not connected to a server while on the main menu. You are only on the chat server and authentication server which might be be very different from the in game server you will connect to once you join the game. This is also why you get different ping rating since you can connect to servers in different locations and thus get higher or lower ping as a result.

So basically what i am saying is your ping to the chat servers may be much higher then the server would you connect to and they dont want people complaining about terrible connects before they even try to connect to a server (100% chance this would happen).

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. So the only option is to jump into the practice range and check it then I guess

Sadly yes atm. I am sure its possible for them to have a ping test to the closest server when you first log in to give you an idea of your possible in game ping but i guess due to how wild it seems the routing is they decided not to do that. I for one dont connect to my optimal server very often and there isnt a way i can easily fix this.