Please don’t nerf Widowmaker

None of the other 100 snipers get any damage or cooldown changes, yet you guys single out Widowmaker to be a 1 trick pony in a game with so many easy skills, mobility, and multi-kill Q buttons. Basically she grapples once and waits to die. You guys know general area scatter beats Widow maker.

Her grapple used to be 8 seconds, 10 seconds is bad enough, and now 12 seconds make it unable for Widowmaker to reposition to help the team, or do any damage whatsoever. Impossible to defend against any of the old or new wave of heroes that all already counter Widowmaker easily. Honestly, what hero doesn’t counter Widowmaker? She can barely move when here scope is up. Even Mercy counters WM, give this hero a break!

I think destroying this hero further is a really bad idea. You already nerfed and removed Quickscoping, and now you remove the last morsel of fun away from this hero?

I’m really tired of being blamed by multiple people, every loss. When we win, nobody cares. When there’s a loss, everyone always blames the Widowmaker. If it’s already a consensus by the player base that Widowmaker throws, can you please hold on the nerf hammer before ruining any remaining life and enjoyment to the hero?

90% or more of the heroes in this game don’t even require any aim, just button mashing. The head models in the game are nearly paper thin. Almost every hero’s head looks like an alien, completely out of proportion. The grapple hook is the only quality of life ability that WM has.

Thanks. : /

13 Likes

Pretty much any hero under 250 HP.

128 Likes

I say just let em’ eat cake.

1 Like

Because of the shield nerfs and generally (Flankers and dive heroes) still being bad, the grapple nerf shouldn´t affect her too much currently.

I don´t know what rank you are in where this occurs but it sounds very familiar, though it doesn´t happen a lot to me in GM/T500, mostly very inaccurately called on loses too, even when a widow has Gold damage, she can still be blamed for not hitting shots, when she has one of the lowest DPS outputs in the game. If a widow has Gold damage (Despite gold damage not meaning a lot in this game at all) it is a good indication of a Widowmaker doing her fair share of work, not carrying but she isn´t the cause of loss most of the times. Ususally a good indication of a game lost is a Tank or support complaining about them having gold medals.

For some reason a lot of supports and tanks seems to misunderstand, that them having those medals is a direct indication of them not performing their main functions.

People pretend they get in games with GM smurfs constantly and the GMs act like teamwork is too much of a burden to actually isolate her, as long as she has 1 shot headshot potential, they will never stop begging for nerfs.

7 Likes

This is extremely accurate.

2 Likes

You’re right, she doesn’t need a nerf, she needs a rework. People will never stop complaining about her, because her kit is just not fun to play against.

You one-shot people from across the map, and that’s literally all you do.

71 Likes

Agreed. There NEEDS to be some kind of counterplay to long distance one shots.

33 Likes

She’ll still be fine with a twelve second cooldown.

She still has ways to be strong like the double grapple exploit that hasn’t been patched

1 Like

Hmm, 4/10 for arguments. Too many hyperboles and not enough factual information. Please don’t join the debate club.

3 Likes

Grapple is actually about 2 seconds longer (about 1.833s for max distance) than the advertised cooldown due to cast and reel timers.

The double grapple exploit was patched within like… 4 days of the thread getting upvoted on Reddit… like, over a year and a half ago.

Shields aren’t going anywhere. And they still recharge insanely fast, and they will still be up most of the time. Armor is being upped on all those heroes, and they all get skill cooldown reductions.

So what about all the other heroes? Hanzo can shoot logs and get headshots. Ana is a formidable hero between sleep dart, faster movement in and out of scope, faster scoping, faster attack, self heal and grenade and a head thinner than the width of a pea. Same with Ashe, she is also a long range sniper.

They just single out WM.

I mean I know this game is supposed to be for people not good enough to play FPS games, but I still think the Devlopers should reward aim and a difficult hero some little glory, vs spamming grenades or pressing Q to win the game. Almost half the heroes in this game can disappear or teleport right behind a WM. Honestly who doesn’t counter a WM?

8 seconds was fine, 10 sucks but it’s manageable. 12 is just really bad, boring, and defenseless.

They plan to make this hero a 1 trick pony that dies all the time. It really sucks being blamed by 3 or more people on the team for EVERY SINGLE loss in competitive. It’s not enough to hear it verbally l, but my team also takes time to type it out for the other team.

It’s not fun. And now they plan to make the hero less fun too. I’m sure these shield times are pretty well balanced out with other buffs, otherwise they’d be beefing every other damage or damage dealing hero in some way—NOPE! Only WM!

Unless you show the patch notes, I disagree.

The video was only a few days ago too.

2 Likes

I am obliged to post this, since people will draw conclusions from other games and say that Widow’s kit is forgiving.

• :warning:= sniper penalty
  • :white_check_mark: = yes / has
  • :x: = no / does not have
  • :question: = exceptions
OW CS TF COD Halo Destiny Battle Royales EA Games
hitscan :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark::question: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x: :x:
bullet dropoff⚠️ :x: :x: :x: :x::question: :x: :x: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
aim punch :warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
fall punch⚠️ :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
recoil⚠️ :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
sway & hold breath :warning: :x: :x: :x: :white_check_mark: :x: :x: :question: :white_check_mark:
blurred scope⚠️ :x: :white_check_mark::question: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :white_check_mark:
midair inaccuracy⚠️ :x: :white_check_mark::question: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x: :question: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
jumpscope :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
scopejump :x::warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
re-center :x::warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark::question: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
no scope :x::warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
quickscope :x::warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
1 tap sidearm :x::warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x: :white_check_mark: :x: :x:
player move acceleration :x::warning: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
9 Likes

I’m not as rabid a Widow hater as most of the people here but uhh you do realize that 1) theres only one other sniper and he’s most effective at mid-range 2) Ashe needs a pocket to be half the Sniper Widow is on her own 3) Widow has the only one shot to act instantly at infinite range and no cooldown? If Roadhog could oneshot from 70+ meters once a second people would complain about him too.

Though my qualm with Widow is her mobility, not her lethality. Since OW straight up as a game ignores most the things other games do to balance snipers (ammo capacity, weapon based movement speed, locational damage), they then not only went and also gave her mobility which no other games do, they gave her pretty good mobility.

8 Likes

That is a completely different double Grappling Hook bug than the one I was referring to. The original double grapple exploit involved activating Infrasight mid-reel.

The point-blank grapple never did this before. In fact, point-blank hooks became bugged around the time that Chateau Guillard launched where they didn’t refund cooldowns… you didn’t even move, it literally just wasted your ability and started the cooldown timer.

This looks like they fixed the point-blank refund, but also gave the full effect of the grapple slingshot. Obvious bug, that indeed should be fixed.

i agree. gutting her would be more fair.

7 Likes

Yea, she shouldn’t be touched.

If anything tweaks, not straight up nerfs to appease the masses.

This is so wrong… most franchises give snipers;

• medium or fast movespeeds
  • bunnyhopping
  • jumpscoping

And then have one or more of the following;

• sprint, dive, slide, evade
  • jetpacks, parachutes, jump packs
  • deployable jump pads/grav lifts/teleports
    • map jump pads/grav lifts/teleporters
  • grappling hooks

And if the game doesn’t offer too many mobility options (to all players, not just snipers), they at least give the snipers the ability to hunker down and defend themselves with one or more of the following;

• one tap secondaries
  • two tap sidearm pistols
  • proximity based explosions (claymores)
  • detonation explosions (C4)
  • stun/smoke/frag/flame grenades
  • armor, barrier, shield, camouflage, or other form of protective equipment

Games – Team Fortress 2, Halo, Call of Duty, Half Life: DM, Counter-Strike, Classic Unreal Tournament, Classic Quake, modern Unreal Tournament (unfinished), Quake Champions, modern Doom, Paladins, Titanfall/Apex, Destiny, Battlefield, Rainbow Six Siege, Gears of War, Red Faction, Tribes

1 Like

Err… the TF2 Sniper doesn’t have mobility. He has jump-shots, and that’s it.

And as you said, many of those mobility and self-defense options are reserved for all players, not just snipers. Considering that many characters in this game have virtually no mobility or defensive tools at all, I think that’s a pretty important distinction.

14 Likes