Please delete this post mods

My points are flawed and incorrect. Please delete this post.

Mods not deleted my post for a whole month. Please flag this post for “trolling” so they can delete it. Please and thankyou.

1 Like

No, Japan is not culturally behind in the world, and this map is not more traditional than today’s Japan. Its nothing like what you think Imperial Japan is.

Saying that its just traditional wooden buildings is ignoring the metropolitain skyscrapers that take up half of the map, the animated billboards, the floating car superhighway, the high-tech infrastructure that is on all of the more traditionally styled buildings, the virtual tourism cafe, and…

Japan is not anime the country. There is hardly any anime references in the actual Japan’s city streets and neighbourhoods. And even then, Kanezaka still has that with all of its Pachimarchi advertisement and the anime cat vending machines. There’s a sign for a place called Animetropolis, and this is all excluding the images of people like Brit who may or may not be fictional characters.

We also know Japan is fairly advanced or even arguably ahead culturally in the world overall in Overwatch. As we have seen in Zarya’s comic, it is one of the few places where Omnics are actually treated as equals to humans, and that’s ignoring other advancements we have seen in Hanamura that is literally next door.

Extra note: If you go outside the map, you will see that Kanezaka itself is on top of a buidling.

6 Likes

Ah ok, I was just seeing all the wooden homes and what not. I am not well versed in Japanese culture at all, never been to the country or really even seen any content on the matter. Iraq though, Oasis is like a complete change of the area. Its like if Babylon was thrusted into the future.

1 Like

Oasis is exactly what I imagine a city like, say, Dubai might look like in 50 years.

Hanamura is just like… a normal city district. You can see some modern stuff around, but it’s mostly unchanged.
A lot of cities in our time still look like they belong in the middle ages if you take away a few modern things like cars and metal doorframes.

2 Likes

I just feel like Japan embraced its more traditional side down the line. Honestly Busan is how I would imagine Japan in the future but clearly not in OW lol

I don’t think at any point in the game you’re in Downtown Tokyo. You can see it in the background, tho, at it looks perfectly modern.

Pls keep in mind, that the Hanamura compound is intentionally preserved to be “traditional”.

1 Like

Ah ok, yeah if I only played the temple part of Busan I would probably be under the same impression. Hopefully they will expand the map choices in ow2!

Japan has always embraced its traditional side while still being one of the more technologically advanced societies.

This is Asakusa, a shopping and entertainment district in Tokyo that dates back to the Edo period (17th C.). It’s surrounded by modern buildings but still features traditional structures.

Japan is like that, and I would expect it to continue to be like that in the future of Overwatch.

4 Likes

I feel like you’ve never actually been to Japan :joy:

I wish I can delete this post but it wont let me

1 Like

Why isn’t this topic deleted, admins? Attend to the colleague’s request.

1 Like

Maybe they think my ignorance on Japan to be hilarious. I will admit I am quite silly for not taking a moment just to look outside the map boarders to see that there are modern buildings.

1 Like

I would like to say, there are better ways to learn about Japan than just video games and anime :wink: or other countries, for that matter

1 Like

True, my post was in bad taste. I am surprised its still up. I feel like the forum mods are trolling me.

https://imgur.com/a/KeBWOsl