Players of Overwatch need to acknowledge that aim is a skill

Nope, I didn’t even play this game for like 2 months.
I’d love to come back to it, but first it needs to be fixed.

Oh, I’m familiar. Just really makes you think.

1 Like

if you want a game with “pure skill only” go play CoD.

5 Likes

Aim being a factor isn’t something I deny, but I hate people who use it to either defend characters like widow who are blatantly op, meta or not, and who use it to condemn characters like Moira. The fact is that overwatch is meant to be inclusive above all else. Accessible if you will. So people who say “high skill characters should be better than low skill characters and low skill should have very little value” need to stop. it’s very annoying. Overwatch was not made to be competitive. It’s the communities fault it was forced into being that way. Let’s stop shunning characters for having no skill.

Moira’s my fifth most played, I’m all for nerfing the size of her beam, but they need to buff the damage to compensate.

Playing Ana at high ranks, she’s not rewarded for it. She’s punished for it.

1 Like

Some of the things in this game need to be fixed, like nerfs/buffs, but aim isn’t one of them.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you’re not trashing on Doom

1 Like

It’s like this is actually a thinly veiled “Nerf Moira, Widow is fine” thread.

They have before, anyone that is either “low skill” or can make playing Widow even slightly hard is considered bad to them.

1 Like

That’s because the lower skill it takes for a meta to be pulled off, the worse it is.

Or Lucio, Mercy, Zen, Baptiste. Basically those that aren’t Brig and Moira.

OP has a Widowmaker avatar. Widowmaker is one of the heroes in the game you can play in autopilot mode. Zero thinking. If your aim is good, you don’t need to worry about anything else on her. Her mechanical requirement is high, her strategic requirement is very low.

Today I played Comp as a tank and shotcalled all the time. I predicted the exact combo the enemy would use to try to cap our point, and the exact map route they would use to get to us. I also had to plan beforehand how to position myself to not get caught in their ult and use my own ult (Earthshatter) to save my team. I positioned myself in a completely WTF spot the enemy could never expect to find me, and caught their entire team completely off guard. It was a high risk but very high reward plan/strategy.

I have many hours on DPS and I never had to strategize so much on them like I do when playing tanks. So no, not all heroes require the same amount of gamesense. Widowmaker is definitely not a gamesense heavy hero. Most hitscans/snipers aren’t.

Being a good strategist should definitely be rewarded as much as being mechanically gifted or mechanically experienced.

4 Likes

You are rewarded for it being you play an insanely OP hero.

Slayer is a diamond OT who abused an OP hero to a rank he doesn’t belong.

It’s very clear he’s the kind of idiot who thinks he shouldn’t die to Rat ever. And if I were to pkay against him and roll him over I 100% guarantee he’d try to whine about how he should get a free win because he’s playing the more “skillful” hero when he isn’t by a long shot.

Well, I don’t know what to tell you but that’s what it is. At some point it bleeds into your gameplay. That doesn’t mean it’s not skillful. It takes time for it to happen automatically, some can flick without even having to look at their target directly. I’d call that pretty skillful so I’m not sure why it being muscle memory is such a bad thing to you.

You cannot go around crying about aim being dismissed as a skill and then do a 180 and do the same to gamesense and everything related to it. Yes, aim intensive heroes need it too. But even within that bracket, there’s heroes that need it more than others. A flanker for example needs better gamesense than a sniper because a flanker needs to know when it’s safe to go in, meanwhile the sniper is most probably always on the highground and relatively safe. There’s heroes that rely more on gamesense than aiming, Reinhardt is one of the best examples for this. Overwatch has never been about just aiming. Otherwise heroes like Rein wouldn’t exist.

He’s a Widow OT, did you actually expect him to have a logical agrument?
Because he’s never given any statment that is actually logical. Everything he says is 100% bias towards keeping Widow in her OP state she is.

1 Like

Yeah, aiming is a skill.
One skill out of a set of skills required in Overwatch.
Others include game sense, communication, strategic thinking, quick decision-making, situation awareness, etc.

Imagine all you have is excellent aiming.
The enemy has shields.
Now what?

Aim is skill, a skill that is way more challenging than what everyone tries to equate to it.

I really hate how people try to throw a cover over aiming by acting like positioning or “game sense” is equal.

Every person who plays the game learns positioning, you obviously get a game sense learning the characters… I dont see people replicating good aim nearly as well as the rest of that stuff.

Well, I mean if we are going after no aim why stop at Moria? Why not remove soldier, ashe, mcree, and dva ults. Oh and turrets cause those aren’t really aimed by the player either. To be safe maybe Winston, Rein, and Brigs primary attacks, no real aim there either… I know why no one complains about them, because they aren’t currently meta and causing dps “skill” players a head ache.

Maybe not just stop at no aim maybe go after stuff that can kind of be pointed and spammed. Oops guess that means storm arrow, zen charged shot, junk primary, pharah primary, doomfist, etc, etc, etc.

DPS players could try to focus all that aim into window and snipe these low skill heroes can’t do that though and why… cause the meta currently has 2 shields protecting players that are smart enough to be behind one or both of them. So right now the current meta is giving heroes that were garbage before an opening to not be garbage.

Both of these statements are already true (with the possible exception of Mercy… but even that, eh)

However

Aim is one skill out of many in Overwatch and deserves no special treatment. If a hero requires only aim, then there’s no reason they should be more-heavily rewarded than a hero that requires low investment into aim but greater investment into positioning, game sense, communication, etc. In all honesty, abstract skills such as game sense and communication–along with heroes dependent on them–should be rewarded more heavily than aim, as they are more difficult to develop. Aim is comparatively a fairly basal skill in gaming, but people fetishize it because it’s also more-readily tangible. It’s kind of a small-minded and reductionist viewpoint IMO, but it’s gaming so I don’t exactly expect much more.

1 Like