Players of Overwatch need to acknowledge that aim is a skill

Seriously. Aim being a skill may sound really evident, but it clearly isn’t.

There are people who just disregard it as “muscle memory” or “you can just learn it” or “you can learn it from other games”.
Like really?

And the people who verbally acknowledge that it’s a skill, don’t really understand the meaning of what they just said.
There are two things that follow from this simple statement:

1. Everybody should have to learn to aim at least half decently to climb.
  2. People who are good at aiming should be rewarded for it.

The first one being not acknowledged is really evident when Moira is the topic. People have suggested to nerf her right click to Symmetra and Zarya size. It’d be a good change, because Moira is too easy to play. But the response was just the usual, she does the lowest dps in the game, ignoring accuracy, and that she needs high accuracy to recharge her healing, which is a non-argument when it comes to such a basic skill requirement as being able to body shot with a fairly thick beam. Tanks exist for one…

The second issue is evident with all the “Nerf Widow” threads. Like come on, she is basically useless in this current meta. And even when she is playable, her skill requirement to the vast majority of the roster is way too high.
You can’t just expect people to play so much better than you, without actually beating you. That just leads to easy heroes being overpowered.
Aim requirement is a massive balancing factor, and people should stop denying that.

74 Likes

… not necessarily. This is something someone who is very good at aiming or at least who aspires to be very good would want but isn’t necessarily a rule of first person ladder gaming.

You are. You can use the characters who require more precision aim better. You have more options.

88 Likes

If aim is skill, then its a skill I don’t have…

16 Likes

THESE ARE THE TYPE OF HORRIBLE PLAYERS I PLAYED WITH FOR THE PAST LIKE 4 SEASONS

and they constantly complained about me picking moira BEFORE THIS SEASON!!! SAYING SHES A GARBAGE HERO!!! AND THAT IM THROWING!!!

Then she’s meta for 1 SEASON AND YOU ALL SAY SHES OP CAUSE META FOR 1 SEASON

MAKE

UP

YOUR

MIND

Master AND GM PLAYERS THEY BULLIED ME SINCE S12 ABOUT MY MOIRA PICK SAYING SHES BAD THEN THEY CALL EHR OP AFTER BEING META FOR 1 SEASON

THE SAME HERO WHO HAD 5% and 2% and LOWEST support pick rate in previous seasons!

I’m so sick of all your bullying!!!

don’t worry when dive is next season

I WILL MAKE SURE TO ONLY PLAY MOIRA

and make comments about how u werE ALL saying she’s OP while you all ask me to go Mercy and Ana.

I am so done, with all the lies and hate.

71 Likes

You can make up some of your aiming mistakes with other skills. But being able to skip it is too much.

Aim heroes are really weak.

Moira was a hero that forced me to relearn positioning from square one. She is a hero that is a massive threat without the player behind her having to play well.

That should not be a thing in a pvp game.

When people wanted to nerf Moira when she wasn’t meta, people used the same argument…

Except aim based heroes are actually weak.

9 Likes

My Aim is Garbage but i still got to Master as a Hammond One-Trick

Good Aim doesnt mean the Player is skilled and climb to GM

There are Heroes in the Game where u need good Aim Like Widow, Tracer, Sigma … But there are also Heroes who dont need good Aim like Moira, Spamzo…

Aim isnt the Most important Thing in OW and Just because a Hero can kill ppl whitout good Aim doesnt mean the Hero needs nerfed ( i See this thread is another Moira hate thread )

If u want to Play a Game where Aim is important and Skill than u maybe should Play any other generic Shooter Like CoD

46 Likes

I would disagree with point 1 in OW, that’s what makes it different, but I do agree with 2 to a point. Game sense and positioning take precedence over aim in OW, so some impact on climbing is warranted but not to the extent it over rides Game-sense and positioning.

Again, you are welcome to your opinion but it’s not a rule that you HAVE to have average mechanical aiming skills to contribute at any particular level. However I would be highly surprised if someone , even using a “no aim” character, made it to masters with mediocre facing ability. You gotta be able to turn and keep an eye (or at least KNOW where they are) at that level to survive, being able to shoot people or not.

Many aim heroes have very high potential damage, and certainly don’t feel weak when you’re playing against them. I see a moira I know I’ve got some time to do whatever I’m gonna try and do. I see Mcree, Ashe or (usually I don’t even see…) widowmaker I get fractions of a second.

3 Likes

If you’re genji and getting worked by someone who has 10 minutes on Moira mayyybe you need to work on more than your aim?

21 Likes

As a master player I didn’t.

He is OP too…

Aiming is a skill but not the skill in Overwatch.

14 Likes

damn, I never though of that
/s

In all seriousness, ‘no skill’ should never be more rewarding than ‘takes skill’ in a Competitive game. Ruins the competitive nature of the game

If you don’t want to learn how to get better you are always welcome to play Candy Crush

5 Likes

Sure, but once again, this is under the assumption that aim is the ONLY skill.

Who said people who aren’t great at aiming aren’t trying to improve? Possibly just not at the mechanical aspect.

6 Likes

Filthy DPS mains :triumph::triumph::triumph: Having a brain :brain: is more important :heart_eyes: than aiming properly, all hail Mercy toes. :blush:

3 Likes

And if you want aim not to be a skill you need, don’t play an fps.
This COD argument is so ancient…

Different doesn’t mean good though.

Exactly the nonsensical argument people defend Moira constantly with.
Potential is overrated over real damage.

It isn’t.
But there is no point in bringing up anything before having learnt aiming.

You can make up some aim mistakes with other skills. But we are still at the level where aiming is 100% optional, and people want to nerf aim heroes out of existence, despite their skill requirement.

3 Likes

I’ve never been blammed from “I should have enough life to retreat” to respawn by a Moira. I’ve gone from safe retreat to dead MANY times by hitscans.

People want to nerf every character they have a problem with, just the presence of threads asking for nerfs on Aim intensive characters isn’t really indicative of any particular trend.

1 Like

My question is, why are people actively against learning to aim? Does it scare you, or something?

7 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard this argument. People aren’t against it, but people are against hard bracketing characters with less aim intensive mechanics.

9 Likes

Positioning is littarly inportant in every fps imginable even in somthing as silly as cod.
Alot of games even have callouts for usual spots were ppl are.

1. From what I’ve seen on the forums aim as a skill seems to be viewed as the most important thing, over everything else.

Also people who have really good at other skills should be rewarded for it, no? Or is being good at aiming the only thing that should be rewarded?

You seem to not really understand how Moira works or what her role-purpose is. Her beam is more generous because it does very low dmg and she was made with the idea to not be a free meal for flankers, you know, the guys with small hitboxes and rabid mobility, making them hard to hit by some of the higher dmg heroes.

From these threads I gather people dont really care about skill in this game, or even aim, they just care about specific characters being good.

I for one never seen anyone of these ‘‘muh aim’’ threads (yours included) mention that maybe, just maybe the fact that Ana can land 3 shots+ nade on a Tracer and the Tracer will still live/kill you anyway. It is arguably way harder aim wise for Ana to hit a Tracer 3 times than it is for Tracer to hit an Ana.

Also Baptiste for example is a lot more demanding to play than Ana and yet I dont see anyone fighting to make him number 1.

The issue with Widow is that her kit allows her to one shot 90% of the roster at any range every second, making her requirement to other skills than aim near completely unnecessary. She requires extremely basic levels of positioning if you can click heads well enough. And people inherently wont enjoy getting one shot from across the map before you can even react to it, especially in a game like OW where picks are extremely important. I dont see how this is not obvious. Grapple for easy repositioning, ignoring cover or getting out of trouble doesnt help the situation either.

And finally I really dont get people complaining about this, if you look at the games played in higher ranks you can easily see theres tons of people all the way up to masters that got there primarily on aim and have barely any idea what they are doing outside of that. Aim can still carry you extremely far with barely any other skills, so why complain about it? You already have the game you want and its not gonna change anytime soon.

16 Likes