Play with Vsync or not

I see on many of the forum threads that people should not turn Vsync or Gsync on. However, what I did notice was that when both of these are off, the gameplay feels choppier than when I set vsync and gsync on. It feels smooth and I can barely see any of the individual frames, even when turning around quickly. However, when Vsync is off, I get around 230 fps, but the frame rate feels like 90 fps, and I can see the individual frames when turning around. Not to mention there is screen tearing, which I really don’t like. Is there something that I’m doing wrong here?

Dunno, the monitor’s framerate has to do with it, there’s way more tearing in a 60hz screen than a 144hz. But vsync/gsync etc are a no-go cause they come with extra input lag

Definitely no vsync.

Gsync only if you get less fps than what your monitor can output, meaning if you only get 40fps but have 60hz screen you definitely want it. If you notice a lot of screen treating you should also use it, but for me personally I never notice it.

Keep you fps capped at your refresh rate which doesn’t use vsync but limits your fps. This will mostly just prevent your video card from heating up because it’s not constantly trying to get 300fps.

1 Like

Without it!
Always off in FPS shooters, vsync will always add a small amount of input delay.

1 Like

Not worth it, just cap your frames if you want.

VSync causes choppiness and input lag.

Don’t ever cap your FPS! If you get more FPS than what your screen displays, it helps with input lag because input is sent to the server when the next frame loads! The faster your framerate, the quicker your input, regardless of whether your screen displays the extra frames or not.

I have a 60hz screen, and run close to 140 fps at all times.

Gsync adds minimal input delay compared to Vsync. It is a solid choice to avoid screen tearing if your framerate is below your monitor refresh rate, but it will do nothing for you if your framerate is well above your monitor refresh rate.

What you really want since your framerate is higher than your monitor refresh rate is Fast Sync, which has less input lag than vertical sync but eliminates all screen tearing. You can read more about it here:

2 Likes

I do have fast sync enabled in the nvidia control panel- there’s two different settings though. In the 3d application settings for overwatch, there’s monitor technology (Gsync, ULMB), and there’s fast sync. So fast sync is ok but gsync is not, if that’s right?

You can turn on both gsync and fast sync if your hardware supports them both, and it will make sure you have no screen tearing no matter if your framerate is above or below your monitor refresh rate.

This is not strictly true. It depends on how the frame limiter is implemented. The increased latency of vsync stems from the graphics pipeline queuing up multiple frames at once and only displaying them at vsync intervals. You can end up with a frame already processed and rendered well ahead of time and then not displayed on screen for another 2 or even 3 vsyncs.

However, a frame limiter that actually waits between frames does not have this issue. For example imagine you set the frame limiter to 60hz. If the means to accomplish this is to render a frame in 8ms and then sit there idle for 8ms and then repeat, you actually gain very little from rendering at 120hz. Having a frame limiter is also useful for people who can run into thermal issues. If your environment has poor circulation, then running your GPU and CPU at max power settings (by ALWAYS computing frames) can eventually raise the ambient temperature of the room considerably and result in thermal throttling and end up with a worse frame rate anyway (and you’ll also be really hot).

However I will agree that if you don’t have a heat problem and you don’t mind tearing, then no limiter is always the most optimal from a raw performance standpoint.

2 Likes

Vsync has the highest input lag,

No Vsync = lowest but screen tear is an issue

G-sync/Freesync = 2nd lowest input lag and no screen tear

The rest doesn’t matter.

So from my understanding…without V Sync, you can get 300 frames a second but WILL get screen tearing? How are some of these guys playing with such incredibly smooth monitors? I am guessing they are gaming on 144 hz screens without v sync? I am specifically talking about “pros” and the like.

I have a 60 hz monitor but I can get 200 frames a second practically constantly but I do get the occasional screen tear. How do I make it SMOOOOTH? Higher refresh rate monitor?

Gsync. Don’t use Vsync, but if you CAN run Gsync at 200 fps and screen tearing annoys you, go ahead and do so.

What about triple buffering and reduce buffering? Do I want them on or off

If you ask me, Blizzard should remove the Vsync option from the settings.

I don’t have problem with vsync and 60 fps…

Disable V-Sync, it’s garbage.

1 Like

Gsync will completely turn off once your FPS goes above your monitor’s refresh rate.

triple buffering off, reduce buffering on.

Triple buffering loads 3 frames ahead of time, delaying your input by 3 frames really. Default is I believe 2 frames at a time, so one buffered frame. Reduce buffering I believe removes all buffering and just throws up frames live.

If anyone’s still reading this tread, I tried a few days with Vsync off. works wonders. However, I had to cap my fps to 5 less than my refresh rate (165-5=160) and I get a little amount of tearing. Also, I began having lots of freezes, where in the middle of the game the frame would just stop for half a second and then resume.