Placements Suck

How can I go 5-5 in placements, but go down 60sr from last season. If anyone could explain that would be great.

you did the opposite of git gud

also placements during the end of season are infamous, don’t do that

2 Likes

Depending on rank there is performance based SR, and a lot of the time a loss hits more than a win.

2 Likes

My first placements - game crushes with unexpected error right before crucial fight phase. Never seen this.

I went 5 wins 4 loss and 1 draw

placed 8 sr higher than where i left off last season

1 Like

I lost literally every single one of my comp Deathmatch placement games, some of them purposely just to have them over and done with because I, frankly, hate Deathmatch but I wanted the spray/icon.

Placed higher than my actual comp rating.

Feelsbadman.

1 Like

it goes lower so u can climb back up.
its blizzard, they want you to feel good at u at least went up a little bit.
lets say ur hardstuck 2500. it will lower u to 2400 or so and u get back up to 2500 so u can feel good.

If you’re in bronze, 5-5 would likely give you SR.

Yup, The placement system for this game is Garbo. That is putting it LIGHTLY. There is ZERO integrity left to the Competitive system in this game. There are MORE alternate accounts in that mode than people that stick with one account and try to level it up.

Smurffs is the better known term to this. Someone buys a new account for whatever reason and decides they want to “practice” in competitive mode. Which HURTS the integrity of the match maker.

Blizzard Reached the SAME paradox over on WoW. Where they implemented in B.O.A.s which allowed people to play a NEW character they were NOT familiar with. level it up and then when they reached the level cap for RAIDS. The player did not know ANYTHING about what they were doing with that Character.

The nice thing is, when Blizzard actually DID have a level system that WORKED correctly. It kept people within a certain level of one another. So everyone at that level sorta had a pretty good idea of their experience and what they were doing. So If I was lvl 80, I did NOT have some rando lvl 20 that just BOUGHT the account or the Character and I had team mates with similar experience time.

Now that we are at that point in this game as well. History has repeated itself.

1 Like

I play ~20ish comp games a season, right at the end. The placements are infinitely better, honestly wish I could have more of those.

It gives me more gold gun points. So I am fine with it.

Not every match is equal. Below diamond your performance is important on how many SR you gain/lose. So if you win 50% but still lose SR, you are underperforming compared to the average on your SR.

The Matchmaker also calculates which team is “more likely” and shifts the SR gain/loss based on this. (so if the “better” team wins, the SR gain/loss is less)
This is most likely only noticable on high SR games where the Matchmaker has to build unequal teams in order to compensate for long waiting times.

Source: Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch

It’s the opposite, even with a sub 50% WR you can climb below diamond. Losses hit harder once you hit GM.

I had it quite good… Until this season. :sweat_smile:
I went basically lose less through the ends of the last 3 seasons.
But this season hit me hard with barely any win. :sweat_smile:

But to be fair, I can aknowledge that i played terrible this season.

I do just placements through the whole season on in the last few hours

ELO system is rather simple, the higher (hidden) SR difference between opponents is, the higher the SR gains and losses are, if the match ends in the lower SR victory.
So, basically you won your equal matches and lost the easy ones.

Do you mean they lost the easy ones? Because they are down despite the 50/50.

oh, true, I just woke up so my brains are still frozen, guess I’ll fix it.