Ping System coming to OW2

i personally think its not like super useful for OW…the action takes place in tight quarters with few entry ways as is…better i guess for people that just cannot use comms for w/e reason…but overall a minor change

perhaps better for pve??

your thoughts?

4 Likes

Ping system is going to be poopshow.
I can’t imagine how my HUD is going to look like with 5 players pinging.

It worked in Apex because there’s only 3 of you in a squad, but 6?

1 Like

well…five :wink:…but yeah clutter is something ive seen mentioned a lot as well

my thing has always been that in a game like apex finding enemies is important and if you were to say something like “right side” that could mean a lot in a world with tons of veritcally and buildings and such…

overwatch fighting basically takes place in a box so it just seems kinda superfluous…you know where the enemy is coming from already more than likely…here here or there

1 Like

Pinging is fantastic in Apex, and OW2 only has 2 more players per team. I think it’ll work well. All they really need is an “enemy seen here” ping, and that information is worth a spot on your HUD.

11 Likes

I guess it is fine but it is not like you can do much with it other than telling your team to get on the point which you can already do. It may become useful if you can call out flankers with it.

It is a good quality of life change (if it is not spammed by everyone at once) but nothing more.

no system is perfect, but surely there are also advantages. as a European, the advantage I see personally is the possibility of being able to define a visual intention by breaking down the discomfort of the language barrier. there is also the fact that recent video games like Apex have shown strengths and weaknesses of this system, helping a lot on the reasoning of the defects to be solved.

confusion in the HuD? I’m not sure how complex it is in a 5v5 instead of a 6v6.

probably the worst flaw is possible instruction spam. but this may no longer be, IF the old rumors of basing OW’s competition with a clan system (and therefore necessary cooperation) are true.

8 Likes

I’ll like it as there are many times when I, Mercy, see a Cassidy or Doom flanking and call it out and no one knows where I’m talking about. Now I can just ping where they are and my team can look directly there

6 Likes

I would love a pinging system, though i thought they wanted to reduce visual clutter?

here’s a real sensible fear for the ping system: how “smooth” will it be for console platforms? :thinking:

because remember that there is not the same breadth of keyboard keys to refer to, and already the chat and the communication wheel are complex to manage.

Seems fine I guess but not super impactful like in other games.

What’s a “ping system”?

We’ve been playing with the Ping system in our daily playtests for awhile.

My personal perspective; it’s incredibly useful

We’ll have more details to share about it before beta starts, so please stay tuned!

72 Likes

Well it might be.

Ever since i returned i felt the need to ping certain places, i feel like it would be easier to coordinate to the exact spot since you and your mates would know the exact spot.

Not in every case super impactful, no, but it might help in some cases.

A system where you would be able to put a marker at the place you are looking at.

This way your teammates know which exact place where to go.
Some games have multiple markers for enemies, moving here, defending here and so on.

If you watch some videos where people play Apex Legends you would see how a ping system would work in a game.

2 Likes

Will there be multiple markers to indicate different actions?

Is there also an option to disable markers for specific players in a lobby (in case they spam them) or just keep them to friends only?

Ping spam would of course be quite annoying, especially if a the ping has a sound.

Y’all don’t think a ping system is useful because:

A) you never played a game with pings

Or

B) you’re so obvlivious when playing ow that you don’t realize that there is a ton of stuff you are missing cause it’s too difficult to say it on mic (assuming anyone tried).

7 Likes

I want to express appreciation for avoiding the word “soon” in any form.

2 Likes

Hard disagree. Pings make pretty much every game they are in a better game. Valorant uses pings and it is amazing

3 Likes

hey im open to hearing what andy has to say (in future i guess)…but if im like attacking eichenvalde point A youre going to see me coming unless i take a crazy flank route over/around buildings…

if im defending last point of kings row theres only like 1 or 2 ways the enemy is coming…

not saying it wouldnt help…just doesnt seem super useful…perhaps he proves me wrong

very different…same with apex…in those games you dont necessarily know where the enemy is or is coming from…OW is very confined compared to those

4 players pinging “Widow switch, you suck!” in unison.

EXACTLY what I would like to hear more of every week!