Ping double since around January?

This issue began a in January I believe, but I didn’t think much of it. I used to run 15 - 25 ping consistently, and now it runs a constant 40 - 50. But now I’m starting to notice it a lot more. I play tracer, and its the most frustrating thing to watch yourself get reverted back to where you where before you blinked. And this happens constantly. Any help?

PS : ISP yada yada, please respond with fixes that don’t involve my internet provider if possible. Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Where are you from because in the past blizzard has removed certain server locations an added new ones at other places and maybe the server you use to connect to got removed.

They changed the way network diags display. There was a blue post. I believe it now pertains to round trip times, which would explain the doubling? I’ll try to find the post.

4 Likes

They combined two different stats into one generic “latency” figure. It is always higher than the old ping number, so just reacclimate yourself to the new numbers.

Ah that makes sense. I dont know why it feels more sluggish now then.

They updated Ping to Latency, which is calculated a bit differently, but gives better information to us about our network than Ping did. I’d look for the post, but it looks like Shinigami is already on it!

You mention January which makes me think this may not be it. But, in March they made a change to how latency was calculated. But it was because of the Meltdown and Spectre problem which was around January timeframe. So, it might be this.

2 Likes

I’ve been noticing weird Ping spikes ever since Retribution.

Like it’ll sometimes just rocket up from 100m/s to 300m/s for 3 seconds and then go straight back.

1 Like