❓ Pharah's changes make no sense? Let me explain

So you’re correct, but so is everyone else. If splash damage is your priority then yes you have been nerfed. But if you can hit the shots it’s a huge buff. Plus mobility increase is the biggest part to me. Overall it will be a buff on pc. But a nerf on console for the most part.

her splash damage has always been a joke. You hit near them and do insane amounts. About time she was more skill based.

Her damage per rocket is the same, but is less rewarding when it comes to splash damage. But she fires her rockets faster, resulting in a dps increase provided you are landing direct hits.

Her direct hit has always been 120 from the beginning. They say they increased her damage of a direct rocket hit… but they didn’t.

Yeah, those are percentages, for elements that are determined by multipliers/percentages, not for the base damage numbers of the projectiles.

If you look at the Micro Missiles base damage nerfs, you’ll see the same format of impact and explosive damage.

Regardless, you clearly do understand what it means, so I’m not sure what the point in acting confused was.

1 Like

It makes so much more sense if they are referring to dps instead of actual damage numbers per rocket.

80(explosion dmg) + 40(impact dmg) = 120 dmg (direct hit)

Now

65(explosion dmg) + 55(impact dmg) = 120 dmg (direct hit)

A direct still does 120 but with her faster fire rate she has a higher potential dps. Her explosion dmg (splash) does less dmg while impact does more meaning you are rewarded the better skilled you are at hitting the rockets and less rewarded for missing.

2 Likes

This. They didn’t buff the damage of a single direct shot, they buffed the DPS of direct shots by virtue of raising her overall attack speed.

I’m not sure how I feel about the change overall, because a major use case for Pharah right now is killing Brigitte, but by moving the power out of her explosions they made her weaker at that.

I’m going to L O V E the new concussive blast though. :smiley:

I kinda anticipated they would change Pharah between PC and Console synonymously rather than independently, it’s kind of a shame really.

I’m now firmly on the side of “Console Overwatch is what’s holding PC Overwatch back”. If the “big social feature” being implemented is crossplay, that’ll be quitting time for me. Mark my words.

As for the changes, I don’t see them being that big of a nerf actually. Pop shotting was a thing of the past unfortunately, and the actual knock back attributed to her primary wasn’t that big of a deal. So if I can reliably follow up shots now with the added benefit of a faster fire rate I’m all for it.

The damage split (makes sense now) is that the two numbers are intertwined. 55 is the damage outputted on a direct hit, with 65 being added as splash. All in all, you’re doing 120 dmg per direct shot but the damage is split. I still don’t understand why though, and could in fact be grounds for multiple issues in the future.

• Damages accidentally don’t add via glitch or bug (IE only doing 55dmg direct OR 65dmg splash, not adding up)
  • timing throws damage off (enemy takes a full impact shot (55dmg) as they are entering a barrier or stepping behind cover without taking subsequent splash)

It would’ve been way easier just to keep the 120dmg per direct hit and reduce splash damage.

Finally why increase self damage range when theoretically lethal blast radius has been reduced? This actually makes no sense.

Hitting your target in the face will reward you with more dmg done.
Hitting the ground near your target will not.
It’s a lot easier to aim with a mouse anyways.

Hitting target will still only earn you 120dmg max as it does now

Her damage on direct hit is actually two components, direct hit and splash both. It just shows up as 120 because 80 + 40 = 120. You always have the splash component, obviously falling off with range, but the direct hit component only shows up on a direct hit. So basically the change means a direct hit will still deal 120 (because 65 + 55 = 120), but splash has obviously dropped to 65. If it weren’t buffed, then her direct hits would now deal 40 + 65 =105 damage

That’s the way it is now at least, before it was a solid 120dmg per direct hit on it’s own, now it’s split. Numeric values may be the same, but the means in which they’re delivered are different.

This could open the door to potential hit reg bugs, glitches or errors only delivering partial damage instead of full. (ex only 55 damage per direct shot instead of factoring in the additional 65)

This is a massive nerf to console pharah is going to become a dead hero. A waste of 110 hours of mine…

I’ve NEVER been more disappointed in a Pharah buff (and they only come every 2 years so that says a lot)

THEY DID NOT TOUCH BARRAGE

I will still have to go on suicide bomber missions every time I wanna ult. I will still have to plan in advance that I’m gonna die when I wanna ult. I will still have to hear “JUSTICE RA-HEUGHHHH” 20x per match. BLIZZARD PLEASE MAKE IT CANCELABLE.
:cry:
#BoycottBarrage

2 Likes

The point of the changes were to make the character more skill reliant. they nerfed splash damage meaning its not a viable means of finishing people anymore, you have to go for directs. In compensation for this they made her rockets firing speed (and I think travelspeed) faster so you can more easily follow up directs.

This means skilled pharahs can more reliably kill with pharah through double directs, while bad pharahs cant just rain down splash damage.

Its only a buff, unless you rely on splash damage.

Oh yeah she got potato dumpstered. Direct hit + max damage splash not killing someone is a heavy nerf. You don’t need a faster fire rate, it’s easy enough to 2 tap a squishy - that won’t change. It’s funny they won’t just balance her separately on console. Just another reason to play Widow every game.

1 Like

It never was 120 direct hit on its own. It was always split into direct hit impact and explosion damage. The damage always stacked as the AoE cannot exclude the target at the origin point.

It was just a case that her damage has never been shifted like this so unless you did research into how it functioned you would not know how its mechanics actually worked. Only when the change showed up in patch notes did you wind up learning how the mechanics are.

1 Like

im not gonna bother with this game until they fix the issues… good thing dead by daylight has double xp this weekend.

Pretty sure they just changed the way it worked, and explained the way it now works using the damage split from the current patch to quantify it.