"Petitions are frowned upon"

so why can the devs post them and not us?

5 Likes

For everyone’s context:

The devs post simple polls but not petitions. The polls help give them specific insight into something they want to know (I would note there hasn’t been a poll in months). Here is the example of one such poll:

When users post polls or petitions, it’s really an unconstructive way to promote an issue without providing constructive discussion to what you find wrong with it or proposing solutions for it.

I myself won’t flag linked polls as long as the forum thread has some level of constructive context, but “petition” posts for unconstructive things like “Delete [insert subject here]” is just not helpful for anyone.

4 Likes

Does anyone anywhere in this world care enough about petitions to even frown upon them?

“Look at me! I wrote my name on a paper! See my name?! See it right there?! That means you’re supposed to do what I want!”

I don’t get it.

1 Like

Polls also draw in responses from less vocal individuals and can make the number of people that think x or y more clear when an item is a matter of personal preference which is the case a fair amount of the time.

For example, if you ask on a forum about TF2 what people think of random crits most of the posts will dislike it. If you run a poll it actually gets pretty close to 50/50. (I do wonder if gaming forums might run better if some sections had capped post counts per day to reduce the degree that users could intentionally or unintentionally suppress others)

For another example, if you look at the average Mercy thread you’ll see one user in most of the threads and they make up around 10% of the post count. Said user makes it look like their side has little to no support when in actuality they have a fair amount of agreement it’s just the people other than them have stopped posting in Mercy related threads.

I had an idea of reworking Mercy that I dropped because the results of the survey I did didn’t sufficiently justify trying it. I’d argue plenty of ideas aren’t so much bad overall as they are bad for the circumstances.

are polls allowed? I mean a post that can be discussed, but also has a poll. A lot of bigger threads have that. I know you touched on it a bit but even though you might not flag it, would another mod?

I am not a mod, when I flag a post its no different than any of you flag a post (which merely brings it to the attention of a forum moderator). I would recommend avoiding straight up polls, however I recommend discussions like this…

Hey I have some ideas for fixing the Paris map…

• Idea 1: Place a direct flanking route into the police station.
  • Idea 2: Place a barrier between the raised platform and the main path that moves to the left.
  • Idea 3: Place a jump pad to leap across the roofs on the left.

Which Idea do you like and please say why? Do you have any other ideas to make Paris better?

4 Likes

You don’t understand anything about democracy if you think this. How else are you supposed to let your representatives know what the issues even are if you don’t tell them? Oh, I see, you think lobbyists are how it should be done.

Anyhow, aside from that, Overwatch isn’t any type of democracy, but petitions do let the devs know a sizable amount of players, aka customers, needs are not being met.

5 Likes

Would i get in trouble if i said my honest opinion on the matter?

The forums have gotten really petty… This is like equivalent of a child asking why they can’t use computer in class if the teacher can. The devs are obviously not held to the same rules as the forum community, and can literally do as they please because it’s their game.

1 Like

why cant they?

obviously

When have the devs posted a petition?

when the forums were first up

Who said they can’t? I’m just pointing out how immature it is to ask "if the authority can do it, why can’t I?

If it’s so obvious to you, why pollute the forums with useless threads?

devs dont look here anyway i could write a 20 page essay with perfect grammar and facts and no dev would ever read it

You behave like a child.

1 Like

They do actually…but they dont post…dont ask how i know

because i am a child?

Been on the forums since the original ones and never remember a single petition.

If you are referring to a poll, that’s not the same thing.

2 Likes

makes sense

Most classrooms are 1:1 at this point with technology, but I guess I can chime in because I have to constantly answer, “Why is youtube blocked for us, but not you?!”

My answer: Because too many students were stupid and got it taken away for everyone, not enough of us are stupid to have it taken away for everyone else, yet.

1 Like