Personal accomplishment post :3 ~gud vibez~

Exactly 10 months ago today - I posted a vod saying I was a 1200sr support player wanting to learn Ana.

My first FPS game.
Only been playing the game for 4 months -comp for 2 months [if that].
Working a full time job at 50hrs per week.
Partially deaf in my right ear making it difficult to figure out directional sound.
It was season 18 - shield/moira meta.
I specifically remember my sr dropping to 900, wondering if I had made a mistake and considered giving up. But I’m too stubborn for that.

I refused to play Moira at the time. Learned everyone else just to try and avoid it. Didn’t want to take the ‘easy’ route by playing meta. After that, Baps [my usual second choice] became meta. Swore off of him entirely for a while too.

Season 20 and 21 [after major shield nerf] I took a break to work on my dps.
All the while, found myself really just wanting to play Ana. Once I got my dps to gold, I decided to catch my support sr up to gold as well [having left it at mid silver]… It took 2 days. [I spent an entire season climbing 1000sr in dps so I couldn’t believe it happened so fast].

I ended up taking a semi-break from comp during season 22. Still played it, just not as much and wasn’t taking it seriously / working on improvement. Just kind of floating around high silver-low gold with friends. [In fact, we called it ‘Beer & Brig’ time lol]

Season 23. Ready to get serious and improve my Ana game.
25 days left in the season
I’ve hit plat for the first time :confetti_ball: :tada: :blush: :blush: :blush: :tada: :confetti_ball:

I know plat is like a meme-rank. Just another ELO hell. Toxic. Blah blah blah. From what I’ve heard, every rank is like that until GM [just the impression I’ve gotten from watching so many higher ranked people play]. Regardless I don’t care. I expected gold to take the longest to get out of because it’s where new accounts start [aka derankers, smurfs, noobs, and cheaters]. I was expecting gold alone to be a 6-month long journey. So the fact that I’ve already breached the surface of getting out makes me super proud and excited.

I know I’ll lose sr and go back to gold and float around a bit again while learning, but just hitting plat once, is so much farther than where I’d thought I’d be at the end of the season- let alone 10 months ago a low-bronze noob asking for help.

3 Likes

BuT tHe ThRoWeRs AnD lEaVeRs AnD sMuRfS mAkE iT iMpOsSiBlE tO cLiMb

Really though, good job man, I went through the same journey a bit back and the grind is incomparable, some of the most fun I have had in Overwatch. It only gets harder here, around Plat is when you find out whether you truly are good at Overwatch and will climb up even higher to Diamond, or if you are your average player in Plat. You can do it! Climb to Diamond, get that top 10% elo! I suggest switching to grinding open queue from bow on honestly, role queue Plat is unbearable, open queue is the best.

3 Likes

i spent many hours climbing to diamond dps…then i saw my support role drop to mid gold lmao

1 Like

Really good job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Appreciate your comment a lot man. It’s been a running joke for me that I just want to be considered “average” so even if this is it, that’s okay with me lol. But for now, I’m gonna just work on staying in plat and not dropping out of it. After that, I’ll start the diamond grind. I feel like the desire to constantly improve will get me there eventually. As for open que, I gotta say… I kind of hate it. There’s always one dps-insta lock that never makes their pick worth it. I’d prefer to run goats, but even 5dps+me as dps-ana is fun but not if the dps can’t get the picks to make it work. Plus those people who run 222 in open que… like … I get WHY but also… why take the fun out of it like that, ya know? lol. Where I’m at in open que, there’s just not much coordination to make the frustration worth it.

1 Like

There is no good rank. Ur mentality will change when u get up to gm And Ull hate it there too. It’s a bit more pog but not much. My goal is to get to a good 4.2 4.3 and then get on a team

1 Like