People Who Say Comp is More Balanced Are Incorrect

Me and my team just lost a 5v6 with the enemy team losing their 6th player at the very start of the game. It was very lopsided with them decimating us at every turn. The matchmaker is absolutely abysmal if this is even possible. Of course, as is typical in Overwatch, the enemy team went off on us for being terrible at the game, insulting us all and telling us how much we suck that we lost a 5v6, that it was “ez” etc. Just an absolute swarm of insults hurled left and right. What the actual hell is this game? I just started playing Comp and am unranked and have lost every single match so far except 1. I keep getting put against people that are gold who seem like they belong several ranks higher because they solo carry the enemy team so hard I feel like they’d still win if it was a 3v6.
How is the matchmaker so consistently terrible across ALL game modes? Why do people say comp is more balanced and has a better matchmaker? The matchmaker in comp is worse than quickplay.
It’s also significantly more toxic. I am never insulted by teammates in QP or Arcade but if I’m not the best player to ever exist everyone on my team will insult me no matter what I do.

Update: I am now placed in silver. My experience is exactly the same if not worse.

8 Likes

Welcome to Scott Mercer’s engagement based algorithm

8 Likes

You could always turn off comms/chat. If they are getting to you, they’ve already won. I got tired of muting someone every other match. Waste of my time.

I have personally been on both the winning team with 5 players and the losing team with 6 players. I have even witnessed the occasional 4v6 go the way one might not expect. No reason to brag if you win nor feel embarrassed for losing these joke games. It’s just further evidence of unfortunate and uncompetitive matchmaking. Nothing more to see here folks.

4 Likes

I would say I hope OW2 fixes it but I doubt it lol

2 Likes

the players on a team are not equally likely to disconnect. the ones who d/c regularly will typically have lower mmr, so the other teammates may be higher MMR to make up for the leaver behavior.

So winning 5v6 is actually relatively common in OW. I’ve even won a 4v6 a few times as well.

In general if the MMR’s of the players on the team were similar then losing a player will make the game unwinnable. But if on the other hand you have a duo or triple queue with one player 500-800 higher than the others, then the sudden loss of the lowest rank player has very little effect on the game

2 Likes

Disconnecting/leaving games doesn’t affect your MMR.

• Jeff Kaplan
2 Likes

it wont fix it they already said MMR will not be totally reset, so they have faith in their match making system

5 Likes

That’s like having faith in the devil to not steal your soul when you make a deal with him

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with you

2 Likes

Meanwhile in OW2 Im pulling a 2x KDA vs my matchmaker given DPS partner each and every game.

I am getting really engaged … :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Send some pics homie

Now I’m encountering a guy and his friend who are very clearly smurfs on bronze telling everyone in every match to report a random person and saying they’re hacking or being racist in VC. Been in 6 games with them so far. They also tbag on every single kill. I have now earned their ire because I talked back to them.
What sucks is even if they both get banned, they’re smurf accounts so they’ll just grab one of their 30 other accounts to continue.

2 Likes

I should.

It’s not just me.

Last game enemy dps had the same thing vs his teammates.

Not sure if there is no matchmaker… or just a really bad one.

its the QP matchmaker, it looks for faster queues instead of more balanced matchmaking.
It makes sense considering the playercount, and especially that most people dont have access yet

http s://imgur.com/WYDltBU

Every game is like this.

GT Rilakkuma.

I am not saying the matchmaker isn’t trying…but …I think it didn’t do its homework :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure the match maker is to blame for you playing badly and them playing well

2 Likes

The matchmaker is responsible for creating team’s of players on the same skill level.

It only has one job.

4 Likes

You’re a comp noob?

Yup, you’ve been overplaced. Happens a ton. You can play with your feet, with your eyes closed, and place gold.

For context, a friend of mine in gold was a diamond. He’ll be farming noobs like crazy when ow2 comes out and 99% of noobs place the same sr as him.

Of course, he’ll have noobs on his team. Fun all round.

As to silver. I’m silver support. I was low plat… Skill has gone up. Placements not changed in 5 years.

1 Like

“Balanced?” No. “Algorithmically handicapped?” Yes.

1 Like