People should be allowed to avoid private profiles en masse

Why shouldnt mercy mains play McCree? Why should only YOU get to play whoever you want? Get over your sense of entitlement.
Anybody can play whoever they want. Next time we need a healer Im gonna say “sorry lol im a Genji/Widow main” instead of switching since thats apparently how we’re supposed to play now.

7 Likes

It’s funny how they claim it will stop toxicity and yet, they made it worse.

I see comments all the time like “Haha, your profile is set in profile you coward”.

1 Like

Hey, first idea about Private profiles that actually makes sense… if people don’t want to play with no Private profile people but then get about 20 minute queue times and almost guaranteed team of full DPS… they choice.

Exactly! So we can play together without you as well! <3

This is just dumb. So if I chose not to tell people my name because no one asked, I’m insecure? If I chose to private my profile, I’m insecure? Sorry, I’ll answer the two questions.

1. I’m not required to do so.
  2. I’m not required to publicise it.
1 Like

What if I refuse to speak? What compels me to tell you anything about me?

A sense of openess and honesty?

Well I honestly don’t want to share anything with you because honestly I don’t feel like sharing.

I’m not insecure, I just smile knowing somewhere else in the world there is some spaz frothing at the mouth because he can’t see my profile. It completes me. XD

also lol @ people talking anonymously about insecurity of others while sitting behind a computer screen. Too much :rofl:

3 Likes

This is exactly the kind of sentiment that changed my opinion and made me realize that private profiles were essential. Too many people feel entitled to decide what others should and should not be playing.

7 Likes

So if I play certain heroes, I am never able to ever play any other heroes?

6 Likes

Private profiles were a mistake and ruin the competitive experience.

Blame those who misused the information from career profiles.

Only if we get an option to only play with private profiles, too. The OP’s suggestion would primarily punish those who hate private profiles.

Those of us who actually use the private profile feature will have no problem finding a match because we’re so numerous, but those who try to avoid half the playerbase will find themselves waiting longer for matches. It’s a feature they’d only use during primetime, then turn off to actually find a game when fewer people are on.

Quoted for truth.

3 Likes

Fking bingo.
Im literally ------ this close to set that to private because of that reason.
You cant have your cake and eat it. You want to use private profiles? Then you dont have access to anything.

2 Likes

I support this method.

1 Like

How do you know if its a mercy main in the first place?

It’s kinda sad to admit you go though that much effort just to creep on their info. And who are you to go through and find out who their mains are so you can try and harrass them into switching? Let people try new heroes. People shouldn’t have to play a match they don’t enjoy just because you want them to play their main.

5 Likes

You should make a separate post about this

Insecurity has nothing to do with it. Assuming so is a very naive assumption on your part.

The fact is that people used a players profile as means to browbeat their team mates into playing specific roles or give them grief over not playing the hero they have the most time on.

Almost every stream I watched and almost every competitive match I was in there was at least one person looking over team mates profiles and commenting on who should be playing what.

We have profiles as the default now because of this garbage toxic behavior. Bad players make excuses and point the fingers at their team mates hero picks/profiles.

If you need to inspect your team mates and tell them what to pick instead of focusing on your current role and what value you can bring to the team to help them win, then you are a bad player.

But if bad players need the security blanket of their team mates having public profiles so they have something to whine about - then they can create their own team with LFG > put ‘public profiles required’ in the title and kick anybody who joins with a private profile. That way the rest of the population is not forced to play with you and your bad attitude and you still get your security blanket.

Viola, I just solved your problem for you. No need to thank me. My thanks will can be not having to see your naive assumptions again on this topic.

9 Likes

Actually, those who care about privacy can.

This is a thing in the real world, too. You tint or buy special shades for your windows so that no one can see in but you can still see out. This is kind of the whole principle behind the security camera. Privacy doesn’t inherently go both ways - only when both sides put in equal effort to be private.

By the way, are you also one of those guys who criticizes people for being “one tricks” or even maining a character? 'Cause see, telling your teammates they can either keep one-tricking or you’ll get mad (and report?) isn’t helping anyone; not even you. Socially-forced one-tricks were a real thing before private profiles, and one of the best reasons to keep them private.

4 Likes

There are two

MAJOR

holes in your logic.

How are people supposed to learn the game? How are people supposed to learn new roles and heroes?

You can say “they shouldn’t practice in Comp” but at the same time QM is a joke and doesn’t yield any valuable experience when you’re playing with 5 DPS and 1 healer.

Sorry, but having bad teammates is a part of playing randomly matched games.

Which brings us to points nr,

The enemy team has those players as well.

Do you think the system picks a special box of bad players to match with you? And never put any of them against you?

Fact is. If you play well then you’re always favored to win. Because it will mean there’s 5 potential spots for bad players on your team and 6 on the enemy.

You’re not held back because of bad teammates. You’re held back because you’re focusing on your teammates instead of the only consistent variable in your games—your own performance.

You should think about games like this:

Some games you can’t win.
Some games you can’t lose (unless you throw really, really hard).
On the rough average, these games take up around 80% of the games you play in total.

That means in 10 games, 2 games are entirely decided by your performance. A better player will carry both of those “winnable games” and climb with 60% win rating. A bad player will lose both and fall with 40% win rate. The system will always try and put you at a 50% win rate.

Which then brings us back to your point.

What’s the real problem then?

The change to profiles never had any reported affect on any player’s actual win rate. But this thread demonstrates the blame game mentality where you are so seriously deep coated in toxicity that you can’t even fathom the possibility the problem could be yourself.

4 Likes