People should be allowed to avoid private profiles en masse

Thanks for putting words in my mouth tender nugget. You’re welcome to try again.

Im my experience those with private profiles on have been more toxic towards me and demanding i switch more than those with a public one :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Have the same experience, every time someone is toxic, private profile. People that trow? Private profile, don’t want us to check their 10% winrates right? People that instalock dps and blame everyone on the team? 100% private profiles.

People that are good teamplayers usually don’t care about the toxic player’s or what they have to say, so they don’t care that people can see their profiles. Also it makes it easier for us, since anyone can see that I main support, so usually the fill guys check my profile and let me get my main role.

when I do that they reply with: “I can play everything” while its pretty clear that they cant.

Honestly I think they just need to tweak private profiles. I want more options, I want to be able to choose what I show. Like I would gladly show my current SR and my most played heroes if that was an option, but I dont want my stats or time played to be shown because those things fuel toxicity.
For example people see my time on Mercy on this account and think if I play anything else then I’m throwing. I play other things too and I don’t want my time on Mercy to define what I can do as a player just because I enjoy playing her the most. My profile is private for that reason, but I would still like for people to know that I main support

1 Like

Yeah, nobody can play everything. I can mash the buttons on any hero, but I’m not able to perform equally well on all of them. Nobody can. Even the best flex player has their weak heroes.

The problem is that for someone who thinks that they can play anything, seeing their history wouldn’t matter. If they want to play a certain hero, it’s unlikely that you could talk them out of it by trying to convince them that wasn’t a good pick for them because of their history. One or both of you would just end up angry.

It doesn’t actually accomplish anything unless the player is open to criticism (kinda rare) and the person doing the criticism is being thoughtful in how they say things (also pretty unusual unfortunately).

It’s a simple player choice thing. No wrong can come of it on either side so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be a thing.
Why do people care who other people want to team up with?

Really? I believe it was public last night. Not incredibly sure why it’s private.

I don’t really mind the private profiles (coming from a plat scrub, me), it’s because of them that I can go around boasting about my PUBLIC profile.

lol, again I heard the opposite argument from Flex players…

They DON’T want to shoehorn me into the one character I’m best at, because they feel I’m better on a character I have no experience with… And the reason is? Because it helps them more than it helps me.

Only to get ridiculed when we lose, because well I’m playing a character I’m not good with for the good of the team instead of playing a character I’m VERY good with because these “Flex” players refuse to flex.

But they don’t get banned for refusing to flex which by definition is throwing & poor teamwork, I get banned for one tricking which by #internetlogic is throwing, and poor teamwork.

If that’s not irony and hypocrisy at it’s finest… I don’t know what is.

Who are you actually to tell people how to play the game THEY payed for?

How naive do you have to be to act so entitled.

1 Like

I am a flex player, so I sympathise heavily. The example I presented there was from when I played Mercy (and DVA) as my mains from seasons 3 to 7 when I had a poor rig that couldn’t run the game higher than 45FPS, so I settled on maining Mercy until I upgraded.

You can choose to flex and make it work, I had the ‘joy’ of turning into one when I was in a position to do so productively thanks to players like the ones I described insisting I was only allowed to play Mercy or I was throwing… Even though I devoted hours upon hours to learn other heroes to enjoy the game AND be good at it.

Also it’s not throwing by definition to refuse to switch - which is part of the flexing you’ve described, the devs have made it clear we as a community cannot harass or force people to swap off their hero picks if they don’t want to. If you approach them and say “hey, do you mind switching off x hero because y hero would be a better fit?” and they say “no”, they’re within their rights to, just as you alleging yourself as a one trick are not technically breaking the rules by not swapping off your one-trick hero pick.

The notion of throwing that Blizzard are happy to accept are through obvious displays like throwing yourself off the map repeatedly, or setting up Sym’s teleporter to throw people off the map once they step through, or sitting in spawn doing nothing. It makes sense from Blizzard’s perspective because it’s clear-cut with no grey areas, which interpreting ‘throw picks’ and ‘poor performance’ are not always easy differentiate.

We also have to bear in mind that the community is not actually a hive-mind: while many players wanted to shoehorn me on Mercy all the time back in the day, those who didn’t are not contradicting each other, they’re just different groups of people within the same community, and we’re not expected to think or want the same things. This seems to get lost on people in a lot of discussions: the idea that we’re a collective group of individuals where some people’s ideas overlap and some do not, is the reality - not that we’re some weird hive-mind where anecdotes just contradict and invalidate the other. It’s simply a matter of different experiences.

Great job literally insulting Mercy mains in your post. A post I will add that has seemingly nothing directly to do with Mercy. Completely unnecessary and inflammatory when we already have been beaten with the nerf hammer into submission and are already given so much hatred and vitriol.

The passive hatred towards us is astounding and ridiculous.

2 Likes

True as that may be, it doesn’t change the fact one tricks get banned even at top 500 level.

While Flex players refusing to switch will never get banned if there’s a one trick on their team also refusing to switch.

That’s when that one trick gets reported for throwing and poor team work, ultimately gets banned. Just ask the #1 Reaper one trick how many times he’s been banned.

I’m not saying that, I just don’t want to play with them.

How naive do you need to be to not even read the title :confused:

Considering one of Blizzard’s priorities when it comes to matchmaking is the queue times, implementing a feature that purposefully increases that time is the opposite of what they’re concerned about.

If you’re upset that you can’t be nosy, use LFG. You and five other nosy people can get together and cry about your 51% vs MY 52% winrate, and your “You can’t play Genji because I have 1 more hour than you”, and your “You have to play Mercy because you’re obvs a Mercy main”.

I’ve played mercy for a decent while (primarily seasons 4-7) and still play her (though Ana is better right now I mercy in qp for fun) today. I just don’t want to play with someone like that on McCree, or even myself for that matter, though I can hit shots with Ana on enemies pretty consistently (Ana aim and McCree aim differ wildly in style).

Mercy main with an 80% win rate on Mei reporting for duty.
Have fun!

While you are right there are lots of examples of one tricks getting banned, both can still be reported and punished at the same time. It’s not like one situation can only exist over the other.

And I sympathise with one tricks who get punished, because although I may not agree with the one trick idea, I support the rules of the game and the report system is abused against them for a polarising issue where they’re not wrong in the rules of the game.

But, this also comes with mitigation as there are many one tricks who do exhibit other reportable behaviours instead and do deserve their punishments. The focus often becomes a matter of them being a one trick instead, rather than the issue of cases like toxicity, spamming, etc which are fair reasons to report. This isn’t representative of every one trick, but this does apply to some.

Again, it’s just a matter of avoiding generalisations where they’re not due as far as I’m concerned.