People forgot how to play tanks

…That have to do more than exist behind 2 barriers

Anyone else seen really bad tanks since the patch?

10 Likes

If they’re ‘‘so bad’’ with them why dont you play them yourself?
Since you seem to know everything else better already.

12 Likes

Would love some advice to be a better tank player myself.

When my barrier is being shredded in five seconds by the enemy Junkrat whilst our Sombra is pissing about hacking health kits half way across the map. The Sombra then finally gets emp thirty seconds before round ends, then uses it 1v6 as she’s not commed it, tried to combo with anybody or even bothered looking at the kill feed…

It what about if your Widow just jumps in 1v6 with her SMG all game and never hitsva head shot all game?

How do I better tank for that player so that I’m not a bad tank, throwing the game?

Genuinely curious to know…

2 Likes

I play DPS and off tank mostly, just observing a trend that it seems like main tanks forgot how to initiate.

I don’t play main tank except a little Winston, which I just play like Tracer (harass the backline and go for people out of position to duel). I play Zarya/Hog and more or less just play them as a DPS. I get to high masters every season with this strategy so whether or not I’d get to GM by playing them “right”, I’d rather not sit in longer queues than they already are.

1 Like

Fair enough.

In my elo a lot of dps ate utterly lacking any concept of teamwork. I’ve seen a lot of successful tanks follow your strategy and just act as third or fourth dps.

After all, no point being barrier tank if your crazy dps just run in 1v6 all game long.

I’m trying to learn all 8 tanks so that I can adapt as well as I can to whatever shenanigans my dps pull.

Expecting them to stay behind a barrier and stay grouped up is diamond plus tech sometimes, apparently…

So go and play main tanks then since you seem to know how to play them better and know everything else better already.

No offense but I kinda see you being one of those kinda players who just complains when ever main tanks are doing something what you dont like wrong.

1 Like

I can’t criticise him to be fair.

I sometimes dislike my dps, and 95% of my avoids are dps, typically 1 per 2 games.

Pyah dislikes main tanks.

From my point of view, main tanking is often a miserable experience with team mates that don’t want to work with you.

No wonder many players don’t want to do it. Guess that leaves a very small pool that can play main tank well.

Your post and points aren’t making any sense.

Basically, you are being a food critic without the skillset and knowledge of a cook/chef.

I play main tanks btw. Not a fun role but I want my team to win.

OPs a Tracer main

Aka, he thinks anything that is not dive shouldn’t be meta and is low skill

Agreed.

More often than not, it is insta locking DPS players that want to tell healers/tanks how to play - yet they can never be bothered to be part of the solution and queue for it themselves.

1 Like

Shame. I’d like to play dps, but not enough to wait 10+ minutes per game…

1 Like

I don’t dislike main tanks. I dislike main tanks who just stand at a choke and wait to die. Take space, initiate, press W.

2 Likes

Fair point. I don’t dislike all dps, just the ones that don’t kill anything and just feed 1v6 all game.

We’ve been winning our full dive comp. Just add coordination. Its fun.

Knowing how a Tank should play and being a good Tank player are two very different things.

1 Like

Tanking has been issue since forever. You can’t win or have to play really good to win with a bad tank.

From what I have seen, if you play aggressively in lower tiers, chase staggers in 2cp, your teammates will say you’re overextending (defense). You’d see 6 morons standing on point of Volskaya to let opponents get into the point without any problem.

And lastly, I stopped talking in my matches. Not worth to give callouts EVERY match if you try to win. It’s draining and can’t do it for more than 3 matches in a row.

1 Like

I literally played it and won nearly every game

Like Im not an insane tank player who would outmind every reinhardt in mid master-Gm but for sure the basics arent hard to learn

Like how does anyone think standing at the choke and waiting for your dps to magically 1v6 can be their job? Im speechless about how some people play Tank.

I mean, I know I can always do better as a tank, but sometimes there’s nothing I can do. For example, a McCree popped High Noon in front of us (not right in front of us; just facing us from 30 meters away), and as Rein, I tried holding my shield up to protect everyone. McCree goes through with his ult anyway, and my shield ends up breaking. Well, our team’s Lucio got hit with the last bullet after my shield broke, and he started screaming false accusations that I let my shield down and demanded that I should’ve done something about the McCree that was way out of my reach. I try talking sense into him about how there was literally nothing I could’ve done in that situation, but of course, abuse gets hurled my way.

I mean, I get that sometimes I’ll make a bad charge that goes further than it should, or that I need to have more awareness so that I give more attention to the team mates that need the shield, but there comes a point where I literally can’t do anything about the situation. If the enemy has a Bastion or a Reaper, sure I can try to circumvent them or help in taking them down, but as a tank, I’m at a natural disadvantage against them and shouldn’t be left to deal with them alone. I truly understand that I need improvement as a tank, but I also see a lot of other people who don’t understand that when Rein shouts “Barrier is giving out!” I need to get behind cover and drop the shield, or the barrier will give out soon. Either way, that’s your queue to find another place for cover, and it is just so incredibly mind-numbingly frustrating when people don’t seem to understand that shields aren’t infinite.

2 Likes

You should ask this question to woefully incompetent “balance team”, that buffs and buffs and buffs without any thought process applied. It seems like they do nothing for weeks and months then they realize they need to do some actual work and then just slap an out of place “fix” that breaks the game even further. They added role queue and thought “job well done, now let’s rest for a year or two”.
Regarding the tanks have you seen what the damage is in current game, try play without a shield tanks see how far will you go. The whole “too much healing” complain pales in comparison to amount of damage output, if you get to play against a team that knows what focus fire is it’s a guaranteed loss. Then you have ccwatch and sniperwatch, both great fps mechanics without shields.

1 Like

They cant because then they would have to actually use teamwork and tactics and would be at the mercy of their healers.