People Are Too Sensitive

I’ve long dispelled any illusion that communication in random games is even humanly possible. No amount of sugarcoating will sate anyone.

• "Guys, we could really use a second healer or a tank, please. :slight_smile:"

Tends to fall on deaf ears until there’s only 1-2 minutes left on the objective timer. And yes, I’m usually the only healer in these games.

• "Could we group up?"

Some of the team might group, but then that one guy just ignores it and the rest of the team stands there like, “What are we supposed to do now?” And then they resume playing like the lemmings.

• "Could you switch from (hero)?"

Is actually considered some form of offense, even if it’s a Widowmaker against a full dive comp that keeps getting repeatedly killed with no damage dealt or a Torbjörn on attack whose turret keeps getting destroyed and he’s only been using primary fire for the last 2 minutes.

Maybe it changes when you get to a higher level of play. But that’s pretty much my average game experience—I don’t bother trying to communicate, I just accept that some teams click and others don’t.

Sometimes you get the team that really has a good map awareness and knows how to group, and sometimes you get team “solo heroes” where everyone splits up into different directions and then somehow still expects you to be there in time to heal them.

PJSalt.

Nothing is just black and white, but in my experience, most of the times when i receive “criticism” is more like blatant toxicity. If someone say something like “hey man would you pick X please to deal with Y” or “Maybe we should try this or that”, i will be open to hear what they have to say, but if its someone screaming at me something like “you effing suck get off that hero” or something like that well…

2 Likes

Everyone’s already said it, but … this:

I have never had someone calmly say, “Hmm, do you think you could do better as Soldier instead of Tracer since they have a Pharah and Junkrat?” Or "We could really use an off-tank. Are one of the DPS good at Zarya or Roadhog and want to swap?

Nope. It’s always, “Omg, useless DPS swap if you can’t kill anything FFS.”

Or “WTF? Are you mentally challenged? Stop being useless and play a tank.”

And tone of voice also matters. Even when someone does word things politely, there’s always that aggressive tone that turns “Hey can you please swap?” into “Ugh, can you PLEASE swap and stop being bad?”

So yeah, that’s why people get upset.

1 Like

I usually try to enforce a method of positive reinforcement, towards activity that results in progression to the objective goal.

So for example, if I see something like say, a renegade soldier running off to the side and dying over and over. I’ll likely follow him to figure out what’s killing him, because I doubt he’ll stop what he’s doing. Just my presence there with the soldier, can sometimes turn an entire game around. Usually by example, the player will be less likely to want to stray away from my assistance, as I’ve already shown I’m helpful in combat. This doesn’t ALWAYS work mind you, but example through action is the fastest teaching tool I know. A few situations like this, and we may have a 5v5 or a 6v5 instead of a 4v6 from renegades, just based on a few choice positioning changes, and a bit of inspired confidence.

Positive reinforcement.

1 Like

These days there isn’t such thing as criticism, only racism and toxicity.

you report people for insulting you? What they tell you, you did bad and you report them hahaha that’s false reporting first of all and second, you’re too sensitive!!!

ALSO, people give advice all the time on the game and people refuse to take it…FACT

here’s an exemple :slight_smile:
“gg phara”

phara take it as sarcasm tell me to shut up.
genji though phara did bad and insult me.

what did i do wrong ?

It’s a little something called rapport, that we’re somehow supposed to develop within a single match with absolute strangers. People take criticism best from people they actually have some rapport with, and not nobodies they will likely never see again.

1 Like

i guess i’m not nobodies because i take all criticism with calm.

The probel is age. (and this is why i’d like an age filter for the game so i don’t have to play with teenagers)

I would have to agree about being sensitive you get reported just for saying ‘Diff’ or ‘change cause it’s not working’ I don’t use comms and I don’t really type. I just ignore what they say and keep playing. And what do you know I get reported and now my account is suspended cause softies are reporting ppl for saying ‘Diff’ if anything like that triggers you use the ignore and block I don’t use profanity but I will admit I do say ‘dps diff’ a lot if that hurts your soy boy feelings develop thick skin. I’m mad cause that’s what got my account suspended wasn’t any profanity I don’t use comms like I said. I sometimes don’t say anything and still get reported and have a dumb automated response about guidelines this is why ppl tend to leave the game. I understand if I said something offensive but there are ppl literally typing ‘kill yourself’ and no ban for them but yea let’s ban the guy that said ‘dps diff’ or ‘dps gap’ makes sense so hurtful.

Pointing out something is broken, is actually contributing to fixing it. Because it is directly shining light on the problem. The person may not have the solution, but if enough people shed light on the problem, the one person who MAY hold the solution may hear about it, hence in turn capable of fixing it.

In fact I much rather hear others opinions or thoughts on what is broken without a viable solution.

Then again, I might also be in that small percentage that welcomes criticism, regardless of how harsh it sounds, because it actually helps me identify my own shortcomings that I admittedly are oblivious to…

To ignore it does no good for nobody.

It’s like the kid who goes up to bat but has his helmet on so low he can’t see anything. Is everyone gonna say “good try Timmy! Maybe next time!” or would you rather have the realest be like “ffs Timmy, maybe if you didnt wear your helmet rim down near your nostril, you could see the ball and hit it”

Grow the **** up people.

Ehm ya no, this community just thinks everything they do not like is toxic, kinda why the mute button exist but seemingly they won’t use it and if they only allowed people to report after the game 99% of this community will even forget to report.

Literally… 6 YEARS LATER.

There is necroing, but hell in this case, the body has already turned to dust and blown away.

4 Likes

Takes more than 6 years for a body to turn to dust. If wanted to give me a sarcastic answer that’s fine. But at least know how long it takes

You can turn your posts to dust in an instant. There’s still time!

Can you answer the previous post.

Or you just gonna give some sarcastic answer?

That’s fair, but it is loooooong for a necro though.

I know this is a necro thread, but…

Negative = take something away

Reinforcement = increases the likelihood of a behavior.

Negative Reinforcement t takes away something undesirable to encourage a behaivor.

Like a parent taking away a bedtime for getting good grades, or a car stopping it’s annoying noise when you pull out the keys.

lets be real you can’t even explain anything to anyone half the time without them taking it negative. I ask to combo ults, DONT TELL ME HOOW TO PLAYYY!!!

can we make a swap to this hero?? WHYYY YOU THINK IM DOING BADD??? TOXXICCCCCCCC!!! reportteeeddd!!!

hey … maybe let’s regroup, retake with ults… oh, you went in anyways and died twice while we were trying to make a good play by resetting really quick. OHHH YOUR toxicccccc because you asked why they kept doing that.

This community will make any excuse they can to say something is toxic because they can’t take any criticism at all in most cases. because no matter the rank they think they know everything and if someone corrects them or suggests something it’s abuse or toxic behavior instead of going hey… maybe they are trying to be helpful or trying to just win, or have zero ill intent but nope first thing most people do is go STOP BEING TOXXICCCCCC because it’s their scape goat for accountability for doing the same mistakes.