Penalty feedback

I have lost over a 150 sr because of you dang unexpected server errors. Your pickle chin game blames me for your damn server errors if anything I should not lose any sr and your servers should be genuinely fixed like you guys actually need to fix your game for console pc and any other dang platform you guys decide to put it on like mobile or something like that please just fix your servers and don’t blame your players for your server issues it literally says unexpected server error and kicks me out instantly I’m sure that is, not the only one that is experiencing this as the friend that I was playing with at the same time has experienced this as well and you lose 50 dang sr for your guyses server errors please just don’t blame your players for your losses I am fine with disconnecting as long as I don’t get punished for your dang server errors please just fix it and give me my dang SR back .

I also have this problem, in fact I was playing with Lunar when this last occurence happened. I have friends that can attest to this, I leave unexpectedly, no lag, no warning (unlike the normal disconnect where everyone walks in a straight line before the dc) no nothing. Just instant disconnect. This isn’t client side as I can still be using discord or watching youtube or doing anything else that uses internet right after this occurs with no problems. The only thing ever having connection problems is Overwatch. Not my end.

@ WyomingMyst

My issue matches SoulConsumer’s description as well.

im getting the same issue here, sucks even worse for me tho. Im rank 400 rn like t500 level and i need to play or i will decay. And i love to play the game and have been playing in for 8 hours a day everyday for like 6months now and i keep getting computer problems. The unexpected error happens even when i q into games, just tried queing and it still crashed idk wtf is happening but this game is awful for crashes

It is important to remember to STOP PLAYING COMPETITIVE when you see repeated signs of disconnections. Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

If nothing is testing wrong on your end, then the next best step is to test the connection route. For that please start a new topic in technical support forum with the results of a WinMTR test.

If you are seeing the error message “Server closed to due an unexpected error.” please screenshot that, note what map was being played and what platform you are on, and report those to the bug report forum. Penalties cannot be reversed, but that information will help the development team locate any possible server issues.

I don’t understand how people everywhere are having this issue, which by the way, started recently, and it’s entirely client side. That makes no sense to me. So what you’re saying is suddenly Overwatch players all around the US just all of a sudden just had something with their connection mess up? All of these people all at the same time? Please explain to me how that makes sense.

Once it’s beyond their servers it becomes impossible to discern the difference between the game client actually erroring out and you forcing it to crash, or you unplugging your ethernet or your ISP disconnecting you. When it’s their servers that glitch out, whether it’s bugs, hardware issues or what have you, it most certainly is detectable. Aside from hacking or denial of service attacks there’s nothing the clients should be able to do to fake a server error.

As a forum MVP, I monitor reports in the technical support forum and the bug report forum, and I can say that not everyone is crashing. There have been an expected increase from the new patch but its not huge, in fact I dare say its typical (short of the Xbox Wrecking Ball crash which has since been contained). Now I don’t know if there are specific issues going on with any game server (as I do not work for Blizzard, I just try to help players take the correct possible action when they encounter issues like this), however from my observation things seem normal around a recent patch release to me. Again though this is my observation.