PCGamer went to town in their OW2 review in progress

Most of the reviews seem to praise the gameplay, but do rightly criticise the monetisation.

7 Likes

Why do you think it’s comical?

Bad monetization is enough to drag an entire game down. NBA 2K has amazing gameplay. The monetization made me quit playing it years ago.

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/overwatchcaval/status/1575482536092135425?s=46&t=omm7CAfVLcQ-moTArLzH8Q

1 Like

Bethesda is selling horse armor in oblivion for $10, seems to be what people think is acceptable these days.

4 Likes

lol caught ya go take a coffee break intern shill.

they will probably not even renew your contract.

exact parameters of current blizzard employee customer interaction on alts to insult them.

1 Like

Microtransactions are more like Macrotransactions these days.

23 Likes

Fairly certain those are the legacy credits, i.e. the OW1 currency.

Edit: Yeah it even says so in the tweet

Tbh I’d pay 10 dollars for an echo skin if it was really good.

Because I’m not a fanboy.

7 Likes

I just looked at the video the screenshot came from, it’s using the Legacy Credit symbol near the 1900. Stylosa went and said he couldn’t unlock it despite having like 28k Legacy Credits, so maybe it’s a bug. Because as far as we know, that skin is only available as a bundle.

3 Likes

What’s wrong with being a fanboy?

2 Likes

Because it’s an excellent and salient tagline. Overwatch 2 should not erase Overwatch.

5 Likes

depends on context. i’m a fanboy for 5v5. i’m not a fanboy for “left kidney for a spray” pricing.

14 Likes

Polygon’s review title is “OW2 doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but damn, it’s a good wheel.”

I think the whole “OW2 forgets its past” thing doesn’t acknowledge the fact that OW1 never knew what it was in the present. It wanted to be both a casual 20-minutes-to-spare after work game, but also a highly competitive game to get your teeth into, and it did neither particularly well.

OW2 at least seems to be doing a better job of identifying itself as a more visceral and competitive game. I do think it would be better if the heroes weren’t locked behind the passes, but I guess that pretty much just puts it on the same level as games like R6 Siege and Apex Legends which do well enough on their own rights. Even as a wide flex player it’s not really a deal breaker for me and I’m (tentatively) willing to accept it if it means Blizz can warrant putting the manpower in for a stronger development and balance cycle.

4 Likes

It’s an awfully bland and uncritical way to live your life, for one. Having a part of your personality wrapped up in a media property is a sad and unhealthy thing.

1 Like

im still suprised mods haven’t give ban or suspension

meanwhile i got suspended for thanking to overwatch devs for tried to clear up a confusing

1 Like

i get it. despite how much OW2 is rubbing me the wrong way there’s still something i love trapped in there and it does sting to say bad things about it - even when these bad things are true. i’m not full doomer mode but i’m close.

i just… don’t know why your approach isn’t “yeah this sucks but there’s still good parts, just hold on” it’s automatically “well this isn’t as bad as it could be!” like why is that a metric? i don’t want to use the s word because i feel like i’ve outgrown it and it doesn’t get at what i want to get at. you wanting to defend OW2 is understandable. there are some parts which aren’t defendable, and no parts should be defended with “they could be treating us a lot worse!”

do you not think we’re better than this?

paying more for the same thing we’ve been getting these past 6 years? the same quality of content (and roughly the same amount) being split up and sold individually for far higher?

If it brings someone happiness then I don’t see why anyone should have the right to judge them.

1 Like

Dude, if I wanted to buy just ONE of the weekly skins, my FAVORITE one each week, it would cost $1,040 a year. THEN if I wanted the mythic skins I would need the battlepass, so make that $1,160 per year.

With $1,160 I could finance an Xbox series X with 2 YEARS of gamepass and STILL have a couple hundred bucks left over to buy AAA titles. Is that really the same value as overwatch skins? Really?

Not to mention the other things I could do with that much money. Pay my property taxes, have a fancy dinner every couple weeks, buy 16 AAA games at full retail price. 16 copies of Elden Ring? A new AAA game every month PLUS 4 more? Nah, I want a “Legendary” Junker Queen skin that’s actually a repaint of an epic.

16 Likes