Participation in Voice chat should be mandatory

No it’S not. It is actually bad if people haven’t developed a sane game sense. Too many people out their that do not hear or observe what happens next to them or around cause they are overwhelmed by voice chat or have the game sound even too low.

Except in the top ranks voice is 80% of the time just stupid useless distraction.

The concepts aren’t mutually exclusive. Having to endure toxicity is not a right of passage.

If you make me join voice chat I’m just going to mute all of you and play either the USSR national anthem or Jimmy Soul - If you wanna be happy - YouTube on repeat for the entire game

People who think a lack of communication is the reason for their losses are stupid. Just focus on communicating with the people who are in voice chat, and don’t get tilted at people who aren’t. Some people just don’t want to join, you need to accept that.

2 Likes

you can mute ppl that annoy with an easy button, and yes, they would drop for the most part except for REALLY GOOD players. And not every top 500 can fight solo without com. Lets cut that unrealistic point about language barriers you made ( eu forums are spouting with english and i bet most of the people could still make basic callouts, once shyness subsidises and one gets used to it). Just to clarify, watched aarge just today and 3 times he got called a flank by a crouching mccree and could see and react, otherwise that game wouldve been over asap. Im not here to solve your discussion, ill only solidfy that the statement Team with comp usage wins far more often is absolutely true. On top of that, i mean its holidays and end of season, but 1/10 games has a active comp in a game where you cant ping, see beyond a 90degree angle and need to pull off team attacks in synch… why are ppl even having a discussion here? Its obvious, it will always be an option to join voice and you clearly shouldnt be forced but there is NO insentivation or tips regarding getting used to do usefull com. Fixing that might be a start, game nowadays is boring af and unplayable. Day in day out its all silent and i wonder how that happened to this extend, no season at any point was this dumped and silent.

Match quality most certainly does go down when you don’t have comms, but this thread is about whether or not they should be mandatory. I personally think they should not. If someone can get to a SR without joining voice chat, then they are going to have to rely on other skills to succeed. That’s their choice and I am not going to harass anyone about vc.

I don’t think you are trying to be insensitive… but keep in mind not everyone is good with people. Social Anxiety is a thing and you don’t just acclimate to people.

1 Like

it blows my mind that people think forcing bronze people into voice chat is going to result in owl level callouts etc. and not just more toxicity and finger pointing.

3 Likes

I have played games from mid bronze up to high plat and I am always in voice chat. In my experience the more people are talking in vc, the better chance we have of winning. We certainly don’t have amazing call outs, but talking about an issue will usually result in a better plan than one person could come up with. Also, if you just tell your team what you are going to do, they might stop you from doing something silly (e.g.: “Imma Rez that”, “ Don’t Rez me, the Widow’s still looking”).

That doesn’t mean we should force it on people though.

in my experience what you describe occurs only rarely - most of the time it’s nobody says anything if you’re winning (except for whoever coughing/burping/breathing into their open mic), but if you start losing team fights some genius chimes in with what their opinion is about what everyone else is doing wrong.

2 Likes

Most of my games have a lot of talking in them. Some have toxicity, some don’t (My Plat account has much more though, 2900s seems to be a rough spot).

It’s entirely possible that my games have more communication because I initiate it.

I have played games from mid silver up to mid plat. No one knows what they are talking about.

Your experience isn’t the only valid one. I’ve had much better experiences and progress with all forms of comm off. It works for some, doesn’t work for me, and does not affect my success or failure whatsoever.

3 Likes

I don’t think my experience is the only valid one, hence the long post with a list of common reasons people don’t want to be in vc. I am trying to give a counter example to the “vc is always toxic and it doesn’t help” school of thought. More information is an advantage, but it’s at the cost of having to be in a social situation, possible toxicity , and some distraction. For some people it is worth it, for some it’s not.

I think the better statement is “VC is consistently toxic enough that not participating is a valid improvement to the game”

1 Like

Your experience is not the only valid one.

Really?

Par for the overwatch forums course

Discussions are a waste of time

Edit: I went back through this conversation to see what the heck happened, because from my perspective I was sharing a point of view and then you suddenly started attacking everything I was saying.

In retrospect I’m an idiot, I thought saying “in my experience” would clearly show I was just sharing an antidote and not trying to assert a fact, but I can see how that isn’t how it was taken.

I apologize for offending you. I will try to be more careful with phrasing in the future.

Nothing like a backhanded, disingenuous “apology” to complete the overwatch community chef kiss

2 Likes

I didn’t mean it as a backhanded apology. I know I can be annoyingly verbose and I was careless with my word choice there. It makes sense when I read it back that you were offended by it.

My discord is InquisitiveChild#7089 if you want talk this out outside of a forum post.

Now, let’s just suppose that there were players who started playing Overwatch back in 2017, and then… just as a for instance, ended up developing a tumor on their tongue, and spent 12 hours on an operating table getting their mouth and throat cut open, and their tongue getting ripped out of their face.

And, try as they might, the best this person can muster is to sound like they’re talking with a mouthful of food.

And have actually attempted comms on other games, only to have half the people say “You’re doing fine, don’t worry about it”, and the other half say “Wuuuuuuuut? I can’t understand you.”, or not believe the story that they are trying their hardest to articulate, and therefore this person is still embarrassed to attempt comms with complete strangers anymore.

Would these people not have a “right” to play competitive, according to you, Mr. Competition Czar?

Good post.
I often found even in OWL when they patch you into team chat it’s a bunch of gibberish and not clear and concise chat.

1 Like