Paris is nice, but so what

now thats my guy or girl,or something :wink:

Define new? i literally saw a map with a mode that everyone hate.

You may not have read what I wrote. I really hope blizzard doesn’t ignore us.
Creating a map that plays out virtually identically to the existing 2cp maps isn’t the kind of new content we need. It feels more of a cosmetic change.

Attack thru the tunnel to the point. Then turn right/left and attack straight into the defenders’ fortress.
This is the basis of anubis, volskaya, and now paris. Oh ya. Hanamura too. Almost forgot it… Because there’s nothing that differentiates these maps fundamentally.

Even to pros. They play the maps all the same. No one ever skirmishes outside in the first part where the attackers spawn. That’s often then dead space. They just wait at the chokepoint. Same with point 2. Defenders fall back to the point and hold.

Is this the fault of the character balance? Respawn system? Map layout? Probably a combination of all of these things. I’m fine with the things as they are now. But we wanted new things. If I’ve been playing since the Ashe update and I’m already feeling the game get very repetitive, something isn’t right. It’s not like I am saying something new and radical. Tons of people have been suggesting new modes that sound fun.

Are they reluctant to change things because they’re worried about owl league. I hope not. Owl will adjust to whatever the game becomes. Let’s be real though. The owl studio is already half empty. For the season to have just started with all of their expansion teams. This is not a good sign. And how many viewers are actually watching vs how many are farming owl tokens.

Last night overwatch was behind Tetris on twitch and just in front of spots… 11k total ccv. It’s not the streamers, there are tons of good ones. People are just moving on from the game because there’s not much there to compell people to stay.

Overwatch games are fast and furious. And if you repeat the same 8 maps over and over you’ll burn out hard and fast.

1 Like

For OW, a map isn’t content.

New game modes are content.
New ways in general to play the game is content.
New things that enable you to go “oh wow that’s different”
You know… something that gets you excited to experience OW again?

The same old stuff is not new content this is “running it by the numbers” as it isn’t changing how you play the game / how you feel playing the game.

2 Likes

They needed this years ago and I can easily say it won’t ever happen at this point. In OW that is.

I can only assume they are doing this with a spinoff game within the IP? Not like it’ll come out in 2019 apparently but maybe 2020? Can’t see how they can possibly let OW IP be progressively getting more stale for that long though.

What variety? It’s basically Anubis flipped left for right. You even use the same tactics for it. You approach a bad choke point from the left and right, only to get mowed down by defense on high ground that blocks sight lines for the first point.

After taking the first point, you turn right instead of left to head to the second point, which has a minor choke point that has two pathways on either side that gets you to either side of the back of the point. Defense’s spawn exits are the right and left behind the point.

For all the pretty scenery they did, it’s basically a reskin of Anubis that feels like they phoned in the layout of the map. You even use the same tactics to attack and defend this map like you do with Anubis.

I am actually saying that without Paris I felt happy with the amount of maps in the game.

I don’t feel that new maps in general add significant variety and I’m ok with that because I believe our current map pool provides that variety.

I’m not specifically talking about 2CP but all maps in the main map list.

If anything I think maps should be slowed down now because between the 17 existing maps we are able to play reasonably long gaming sessions without seeing a duplicate.

I liked maps, I’m fine with clicking on heads in various environment.
But this map is pretty bad… As far as I can tell, there is no point in ever picking a dps hero on it ever.
Just because of the map layout.

1 Like

With the exception of Ashe, I couldn’t disagree more.

What the game desperately needs is more game modes. Not arcade nonsense either. Real core game modes.

They wont do it because they wont be able to put a new map type into pro comp.

Of course not everything is recycled but a lot of things yes.
Orisa is the most recycled one. Machine gun, throwable shield and zarya ultimate effect as halt ability, and teh ultimate is just mercy beam. Hammond uses the widow maker grappling hook. Ashe as you said, it’s a basic to the ground hero, and bob it’s just a turret, plus the dinamite have no sense, why not a molotov? Mistery. Moira recycle the Mei gun spray and the old symmetra balls, just adding physics to them. Brigette stuns, stuns and shield, plus have the most ugly, boring and unispired way of healing possibles, also recycled (Lifesteal), and select and press E (like zenyatta orbs). Doomfist, use charges already in the game (reinhard) and stuns. Sombra gun is unispired af, passive use wm and hanzo wallhack. Ana gun again nothing inspired. On every post launch released hero there is something reused. Everyone. And also again, Stuns Stuns, Knockback and shields. This is the holy trinity of what i don’t what to see on new heroes.
Yes the game also need new core gamemode, but considering after 3 year they failed multiple times, i guess it’s better not even retrying that. For old user, the only way to refresh the game is twist the meta by adding a good number of heroes, allowing for multiple new iteration and metas, and not only the one’s stuck on the same 2 tank by 3 whole year. Lack of hero is why this game is stale. New maps? when you’re going to play them? Give me atleast a map pool for KOTH/2CP/Payload, atleast i have more change to play what i want without frammenting the playerbase too much.

1 Like

There’s where you’re wrong.

If there are 3 points.
You get 1 point for each second a point is captured by your team.
You can go as a 6 stack to only one point at a time, meanwhile the team running a 4-1-1 split have a chance of contesting you on one of the 3 points.
And a guarantee of Pre capping or back capping the two points your team isn’t.

It’s also a mode that can work just as well as the current ones with soloq and no planning. (which is not very well, but if both sides aren’t communicating you’re evenly disadvantaged.)

I agree with some of what you said. Not all of it. But I still respect your perspective and love you deeply. :revolving_hearts:

have you tried contesting a point alone vs 6 enemies? it doesn’t work
and also if your team is running 4-1-1 once any of your 4 man / 1 man groups die you’re losing all of the points and then they’ll keep you away from the points by fighting near your spawn unless if they use a different spawn system similar to TDM then there’s the problem of spawn camping the problem that’s been plaguing call of duty for over a decade

having a head start on the points isn’t worth much when your team is gonna constantly lose after the first team fight

it definitely requires more communication and planning than single objective modes

you can say that about literally anything!

I’m guessing you’ve never played a triple or more capture game mode?

A 6 man rotation, you will cap point A.
You get 1 point per tick, only after killing off the 1 or 4.

They on the otherhand capture B and C points uncontested. And are getting 2 hrs per tick, not just after you cap and are headed to the next one, but also while you’re still capturing the first point.

After you cap point A, you need to travel to B, if you go as all 6, they can send 1 person (respawn done roughly the same time as it took you to travel) to recap pt A, call for the pt C capped to help and you fight 5 on B.

Rinse and repeat.

It’s a mode that has a good amount of strategy, skill, and a touch of luck.

It really is a very fun mode on coordinated, or even uncoordinated play. And would introduce a truly unique set of skills and play.
I see no reason it wouldn’t work in OW, so long as the points and spawns are well positioned; and the cap and spawn timers are also in check.

Edit: if I could figure out how to post pictures to the forums, I’d draw it out. Easier to explain with a diagram. One of those, once you see it you’d be like OHHHHHH I SEE.

1 Like

Also. That’s exactly my point.
Bad teamwork makes for bad anything.
It’s not a reason to make, or not make, a game mode or map.

Likely move on, too. Just like I did before, then we decided to give it another go. Overwatch is not worth playing solo. Been there and done that. I’d rather be castrated by two rocks.

1 Like

i have! mgs online has a 3 capture point mode and it’s a mess and doesn’t work well at all!

and then you go and cap the 2nd point and the 3rd point and you get all the ticks

I’ve answered this already!

from my experience it takes about 20 secs from the moment you die to the moment that you get back into the fight!
and if the points are that far away that you have to travel 20 secs to get from one of them to the other one it’s gonna have the same problem as BR games too much moving from point A to point B to point C and not fighting most of the time and i’m bored…
and the way you’re presenting it it needs constant communication

also if you kill an enemy and cap the 1st point w/ 6 people you can leave one person there and go fight w/ 5 people because you know it’s not gonna be a 5v6

highly highly doubt it

this mode would work really well in tf2 because everything is messy over there anyway (not in a bad way) but overwatch is all about relying on your team to be able to do your job healers need tanks to stand behind of, dps need healers to stay alive and tanks need dps and healers to make a push

no i get what you’re saying i thought the capture points were close together but the way you’re envisioning it they’re far apart and in that case i don’t see them working on it at all!

I was thinking 5 points, 5s from one another.

Hexagon with red and blue spawns on the same corners.

Each point and spawn has ~3 natural chokes/exists/entrances.

It would not be possible, in this layout, to capture all 3 points and hold enemy in spawn unless you were REALLY good, and they really weren’t.

I looked up mgs to try and find 3pt maps, couldn’t find a top down

If it took them 3 years to even start planning a new core gamemode, thats beyond sad.
(i remember it was implied, that they come up with the idea recently)

At this point they should have at least 2 new gamemode ready to be added into the competitive scene with at least 2 maps for each gamemode at any given time.

1 Like