OWL tokens stopped dropping?

Yeah, same. It was probably a bug on their side.

For me too. I only got tokens for the first week. Now I have 64 useless tokens.

4 Likes

This was an error on the part of Blizzard during week 1 and has been corrected. You will no longer get tokens if you are in a country that is ineligible to receive them.

1 Like

This is great to know. I figured it’s something like that.
They have no problem selling the tokens, selling the all-access and advertising the whole thing, not to mention having gambling mechanics in game but a couple free tokens? Oh no, we can’t deal with that legal landmine.

1 Like

I am personally upset about this (even though I am an American player), I feel that everyone should earn tokens for watching regardless of residency. The problem is that OWL tokens/skins is a primary revenue source for the Overwatch League itself, so its a combination of getting single tokens along with promoting the sale of the tokens effectively and fairly. I don’t know specific details on why many countries are not eligible for the Twitch Promotion. I feel like there will eventually need to be a way to earn the tokens through in-game activity, but it has to be done in a way that still promotes the league.

I’m upset over the absolutely worst communication with the viewers about this issue. Why wasn’t this explained and why weren’t we provided with official apology on the issue? I spent hours searching for answers, sending tickets to twitch, checking and re-checking my settings, watching on different devices… If not for religiously refreshing the forums, I wouldn’t have found out about this and would’ve continued trying to solve the issue.

And yes, the site and the rules mention eligibility, but they weren’t properly updated to reflect the fact that tokens are no longer earned per map watched. Since this wasn’t updated, I hoped the rest perhaps hasn’t been updated either. So that’s zero care about actually explaining how free tokens work. Twitch chat bot still links to last year’s rules. I’ve seen multiple threads where people still think tokens are earned per map. This was poorly explained and the error was not well communicated.

I’m also upset over the obvious fact that there’s nothing technical preventing any country from getting tokens because the system worked flawlessly during Week 1 and it’s highly convenient this appears to be classified as an “error” now. Being fair to all fans of the game equally is apparently an error and some of us are so insignificant that we won’t even get a notification unless we ask and hope for the best. This “error” looks more like an elaborate bait to give people some tokens, but not enough to actually get a skin, which might easily push them to purchase at least once because that’s how human psychology works.

I’m aware tokens are a revenue source. 3 tokens per hour for people who stay up at ungodly hours to watch the league because they like watching it will NOT impact this revenue negatively, as viewers directly participate in that revenue for watching (ads), spreading the word and are more likely to also buy further tokens and/or merch. Personally I was 100% ready to buy the pass and maybe even additional tokens once I believed I’m not treated as an irrelevant fan and that I’ll be getting the same reward other people get, but now I absolutely will not. As a matter of fact, it put me off from watching entirely, and I watched the entire season 1 and was waiting for season 2 eagerly. Excluding people won’t result in revenue either, so. Obviously viewers like me aren’t wanted so I’ll put my money elsewhere.

Won’t mean a thing in the grand scheme of things, I know. Had to get it off my chest because any interest I’ve had in OWL becoming better, more transparent and more accessible to fans across the world has completely deflated.

3 Likes

Can we get an explanation about why exactly are we not eligible for promotion? Last season i thought it was some kind of technical issue but turns out it wasn’t. I just looked everywhere but couldn’t find any explanation about that. Is this a fixable thing? Can i do something to fix it or am i just gonna stay irrelavent no matter what? I mean i love overwatch league and i’m watching it even though it is the worst hour possible for my region like i’m staying up literally all night just for this and that is what i get. “It was just a mistake.” Thanks a lot really.

Thank you, I wouldn’t have known if not for this topic. I earned some tokens during the first week and thought I still could despite the regional rules. When I didn’t receive any this week and Internet searches turn up nothing, I had no idea why. This confirms they fixed the error on their part.

Each country has their own local laws regarding contests/gambling/promotions etc.

Why would they need to apologize? You received something you were not eligible to receive in the first place. You got a surprise gift, don’t gripe about it.

Except there’s that country’s own laws. If you want tokens so much then go discuss that with your local government representative.

Every country has different laws regarding how contests/pomotions/giveaways are allowed to operate. It is not Blizzard restricting it, it’s your country’s laws.

Because they made a mistake and didn’t explain that it was a mistake which prompted thousands of people to keep watching, in time zones that don’t work in our favour. There are still thousands of people unaware of this “mistake,” watching in hopes of getting more because they got tokens for 4 days straight on Week 1. The mistake needs to be publicly acknowledged along with, yes, an apology. It’s what a decent company would do. But I’m sure the inflated viewer count looks very juicy so let’s ride that train while we still can before people figure it out by searching for obscure threads on the forums.

The “gift” I got is useless. I’m at 82 tokens and I will have them forever until I buy more. Having 82 tokens is equal to having 0. They’re unusable. Excuse me if I don’t cherish that gift.

3 Likes

Im from Costa Rica, and still I don’t know why my country is not eligible. Got 48 tokens on my first week and watched the entire second week to see if I get more for a new skin. Thank god I found out “what happened” due to this post. Blizzard havent say anything about it…

Its a shame… imho the Overwatch League and Blizzard are not managing this in a good way. They should enable the OWL tokens drops in every single country, it is not like people are somehow gambling by watching and receiving tokens as gifts, seems a little bit stupid.

They should at least give us an explanation and an apology… AT LEAST!

You mean like in the pinned post about OWL Twitch rewards?

Updated 6 days after the issue appeared (23rd of February: Week 2 started on the 21st; that’s two days of seemingly missing tokens where I’ve already contacted twitch support twice).

I am also unaware of an option on the forum to see if a pinned post was updated (late) with crucial information.

When it was figured out.

You apparently didn’t go looking for answers because I found it by accident when I wasn’t even looking for that issue.

I was looking for answers, but looking at one generic pinned forum post slipped my mind as I was mostly confused about the sudden change in token drops. I googled, looked at official rules on twitch and official rules on Blizzard’s sites. I looked thoroughly before the update was posted.

As I already pointed out, there was a delay between me looking all over the internet and this being stealthily updated. That’s almost three days of no information whatsoever.

1 Like

That is not really a proper explanation though? Which law is it? and “go discuss that with your local government repsentative” is an absurd advise. How should i do that without knowing which spesific law pretending it? I mean don’t get me wrong you are just trying to help i guess, but this is not really helping

How would I know? They vary from country to country. They are generally the laws pertaining to contests, gambling and prizes.

I’m certainly not going to go research it for you. But you wanted to know why, and that’s why. It really shouldn’t be that hard to track down as the law will cover all situations like this.

better buy some then.

Blizzard like money.

I guess that’s why the view count went from 200k to 120k.

the tokens this year have been completely messed up. They dont work half the time. It really sucks, and maybe its just me but they feel so much harder to get than last year. Do we even get 3 at a time in a drop anymore? Its taking over a week to get 1 skin, let alone 200 credits for the upcoming all star skins (I cant remember what theyre called)