OWL Teams Bargain Against Blizz

step 3 was) move off of the dominant streaming platform

Every day the cracks in the dam get bigger, and bigger.

And each fissure makes me smile.

9 Likes

Now imagine you stop giving people rewards for watching OWL …

2 Likes

they should scrap it and just start over, the other blow to hit OWL is all the Chinese severs for Blizzard games at this point are not going to be renewed and are coming down. so there goes another portion of market share.

But to start over and have teams/players earn spots. instead of buying your way in, as few games I’ve seen better plays in Contenders matches. and keep things local, if a team is from Huston or England, have it comprised of local talent. it will probably have more fan support this way also. I feel it fails because instead of letting it evolve and grow they instead have it pictured how they want it and force it to be that way from the get-go and it is unsustainable.

3 Likes

Yeah, imagine listening to your customers. Don’t take the dumb stuff into account, but take the level-headed feedback and use it to make the game better, like several features just being straight-up missing making the game feel like a downgrade.

1 Like

-proceeds to shut down China market :rofl:

5 Likes

Overwatch is a very casual focused game.

They make most design and balance decisions around gold players.

It’s like making bargains with the devil, you have to give everything.

Speak for yourself in future. I watched top performing quake and csgo players for years. It’s incredibly entertaining.

lol it was their worst move, the same year they announced they were moving was the best year too, they added so many new camera’s so you could watch any player you wanted etc. You could cheer bit earn OW emojis & skins for cheering and stuff.

Then the following year… when they moved to YT it’s like they rewound 10 years.

I loved being able to watch any player I wanted to, or any view I wanted (e.g overhead camera) I guess Google offered them a lot of $$$$

Do we know any of this info?

Well, some of the “top” players wont even play in the league anymore because they make more money streaming than they do playing the game professionally.

That presents issues immediately.

Then you account that they made the game incredibly boring in 5v5, who the hell wants to watch a mirror in every single game? Even in double shield meta, OWL teams strayed from it constantly. This years OWL final had 5 heroes in it on every team. It was a complete snoozefest.

4 Likes

I was asking you since you brought up revenue. Just revenue doesn’t actually tell us anything other than the scale of sales.

1 Like

The only thing that is surprising is that they haven’t actually been sued yet for making misleading claims while attempting to sell franchises by artificially inflating interest metrics through bribing viewership at measured times through things like the Lucio turntable emote.

Misleading statements to inflate interest or the value of investments is a big, big no no.

2 Likes

I understand the logistics of overhead, gross vs net revenue etc.

Since we don’t know any of that info, 1.4m still seems like a lot of money to consider “pitiful”

It’s actually not much, particularly for a sports organization. Even an esports one. Just considering their potential franchise fee under OWL, it’s rather low.

2 Likes

Lets be real Overwatch at pro level just isn’t watchable to the vast majority of people. To most its just confusing and that is people who play the game let alone the untapped market of those who don’t.

Its a classic American sporting format where it simply offers no entertainment value unless you are from the region of a team and you’re into that sport. No promotion no relegation what’s the point of a team sport if their is no consequences to losing.

Players are being paid 200K/season and there are like 7-8 players in every team. Not to mention every other thing a team has to pay for so 1,4M really is pitiful

1.4m is a lot of money depending on costs. Doesn’t matter if NFL/NBA/MLB stars are making 10x more, 1.4m is still a lot of cheddar. Especially for a dead game that wasn’t updated for 3 years. 2023 will be a more important year to look at now that it’s being updated again

Sheesh, 200k a year, must be nice.

Not sure what you’re expecting a team to make playing a dead game that wasn’t updated for 3 years though :laughing:

2023 will be a more important year to look at considering the game is actually being updated now

1 Like

Indeed, OW makes for a bad esport, and instead of realizing this they focused on making it a better esport to the detriment of the game.