(OWL) News Update Regarding Sponsors

Sigh Hello…again. As some of us have probably found out by now, we have learned that the Overwatch League is having trouble gaining new sponsors, and the sponsors it does have…well, they are either revisiting their partnership or, at the very least, want a meeting.

However, in typical OW forum fashion, the anti-OWL and pro-OWL crowd have completely misrepresented the facts and potential impacts of OWL business sponsors reassessing their partnership…which means your humble servant (myself) is left to clean up the mess of both sides and attempt to right the ship of truth. So, here we go.

So, what exactly happened?

Over the past couple weeks, in response to the fallout regarding the investigation and subsequent lawsuit against Activision Blizzard by the State of California, a few sponsors have pulled their advertising from OWL (and to a lesser extent, Call of Duty League) broadcasts. Specifically, T-Mobile pulled their advertising from OWL prior to Week 1 of the Countdown Cup, and have also (at least temporarily) pulled their ads from the Plat Chat podcast. The T-Mobile ads being pulled also affects Call of Duty League. Today, State Farm requested that OWL run none of their ads this week while they “reassess” their partnership, while Coca-Cola has also requested none of its sponsored ads be run this week.

Does this mean T-Mobile, Coca-Cola, and State Farm have officially ended their partnership with the league?

As of right now, the only sponsor which has fully pulled out of partnerships is T-Mobile…and even then, the Plat Chat podcast staff have said that the podcast (which is about OWL) is completely separate from OWL and talks with T-Mobile are still ongoing. Coca-Cola and State Farm have not officially pulled their sponsorships…they only requested no ads run this week. Both companies were still listed on the OWL website, so it remains to be seen if State Farm or Coca-Cola will stay as sponsors or end their partnerships.

What about the other companies sponsoring Overwatch League? Have they made a statement yet?

As of this post, no. But I will try to update you if the other companies make a statement.

Would business sponsors being pulled even do anything?

Absolutely. FIFA would not have had to undergo a massive overhaul of how it runs and governs international soccer/football had the sponsors for FIFA turned a blind eye to the corruption and bribery scandal that embroiled so many of its executives several years ago. Given how sponsors effectively forced FIFA to change, it’s completely reasonable to suspect that once business sponsors for the OWL reassess their partnership, that AB C-suite executives start realizing they need to change.

So would sponsors being pulled mean the end of OWL?

Not likely, or at least, not likely when given that OWL viewership, to some extent, is what’s keeping interest in OW2 afloat. But it’s completely reasonable to argue that with these sponsorships being pulled or paused resulting in lost earnings for shareholders, that shareholders will not be happy with AB executives. Remember, shareholders are ultimately what AB answer to. Less money means dividends aren’t paid, and as one can surmise, that doesn’t make many shareholders very happy.

So while it is completely reasonable that a shakeup of a large magnitude at all executive levels is expected (which means the Blizzard president resigning isn’t the only shakeup we will see once shareholders see lost dividends), OWL won’t suddenly disappear like some in the anti-OWL crowd would probably hope…or at least, it won’t suddenly disappear just because of sponsors pulling or pausing their advertising.

So knowing OWL won’t go anywhere in the short term, what will most likely happen?

Expect several meetings between top brass at the sponsors and top brass at AB, either later this month or immediately after the season concludes. Sponsors will have some talk about brand image and how events like California suing AB cause brand image (including sponsors) to be damaged. Deals and plans will be struck or not struck and AB and sponsors will proceed accordingly in terms of whether or not to continue partnership.

In the meantime, legal matters for OWL must be taken care of. A long offseason where AB deals with both the State of California as well as the U.S. federal government (who are doing a separate investigation regarding salary cap practices in OWL) should be expected. While legal teams and AB execs figure out what changes need to be made to OWL specifically and Activision Blizzard in general, devs will quietly work on OW2, and will hopefully at least have enough work done by the end of the year to give BlizzCon 2021 (2022?) attendees an alpha (or at least, demo) version of OW2…and hopefully, a release date for OW2.

As to what happens past BlizzCon, I will not speculate. You are free to imagine how OWL2022 will be done or if OWL makes a seamless transition into OW2. However, expect everything above to happen over the foreseeable short-term future. Anything else is asinine at best.

That’s all for now, folks. If you’ll excuse me, American football is calling my name…

18 Likes

I find myself wondering what was the end result of riots scandal

This was helpful to read, thanks Arena : D

Coca Cola won’t be going anywhere. After all, old Roberto is on the board there too.

It’s going to depend on what is the next shoe that the state of California prosecution drops.

Right now Blizzard’s missteps and their management still setting land mines off on Twitter is getting in the way of Activision-Blizzard promoting any successful marketing strategy.

I hope something good can come out of all this drama to make the company be better to their employees and generate quality products that ol school Blizzard was known for.

1 Like

That ended with an internal investigation that led to no where if I remembered correctly

If you are asking about Riot’s scandal investigation to their CEO’s allegations of sexual misconduct filed that is

Honestly I don’t think the OWL can recover from this, it’s the beginning of the end. People love hating blizz and well this is the result, all of those devs who weren’t even involved are now fearing for their jobs, same for pro players who are more than happy to ditch this game and jump into anything else

they did the most sensible thing ever, they shut down the cesspool that was their forums, the main source of misinformation was that and look what happened, without people pouring negativity into an echo chamber the fires of their lawsuit quenched pretty smoothly, so much so that when blizz’ lawsuit came out everyone starting saying that it was the first time a gaming company was accused of this but nope, the OG lawsuit belongs to Riot

1 Like

They settled out of court for $10M and everybody promptly forgot about it.

2 Likes

well thought out and informative
ty for this bcuz i just read somewhere that only ibm was left

no surp if all sponsors dip out
indifferent to OWL now
it was fine for 2016-2019 maybe.
world cup was always better
now it just seems topheavy and distant
no path2pro etc
and lowpop base game with a broken comp scene

just cut the losses

At this point my feelings of wishing they’d retire OWL entirely and just put all the money and love into OW2 grow stronger every day

1 Like

Coca Cola will try to reassess their deal with OWL but looking at that Coca Cola was the epicenter of the Youtube Adpocalypse years ago i don’t know what to think.

I appreciate the “whole picture” clarification. Noice.

1 Like

They surely won’t let it die right away considering how much money are on the table but will end up like hots if they don’t find sponsors.

While I wait for the oven to heat up so I can cook my lunch, I’m going to give a few remarks in response to a few replies.

Absolutely. HGC was ultimately shut down after 2 years and now HotS is in maintenance mode. We occasionally see streamers do a charity HotS brawl with other streamers, but that’s about as much attention as it gets these days.

OWL shutting down will possibly spell the same fate for OW and OW2 (if/when OW2 releases)…and perhaps also spell the end of Blizzard forums, similar to how Riot managed to finally resolve its lawsuit from several years ago (the details of which were described by several others in this thread).

No arguments there. Loved the first couple World Cups, then afterward they made too many changes that favored top-heavy teams more than others.

So, essentially OW and TF2 shared similar fates. Perhaps that should be a valuable teaching tool for game developers.

The question is, is Blizzard willing to lose a second esports scene as well as turn a second game into maintenance mode for the next 1+ year until OW2 is ready? As stated, I think they’ll sooner have the Blizzard forums taken completely offline (tbh, dev posts on the forums are increasingly rare, as more Blizz employees opt to use Reddit instead) and then cut their losses with the OWL. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the forums (for all games), World of Warcraft’s Mythic Dungeon Invitational (or MDI) and HotS are the first things to go in terms of cost saving and righting the ship. Maybe not all at once, or in the order I presented them in, but the typical cost-saving method of mass layoffs (or at least, the handful of mass layoffs that Blizz had in recent years) isn’t going to be the magic bullet that allows Blizz to wiggle their way out of making tough decisions.

That is all I have for now. If you’ll excuse me, lunchtime is calling me name…

OW is already in maintenance mode either way. It is only downhill from here. OW2 may spark some activity for a while but it probably won’t last for long unless it turns to be something really special.

Quickly passing along an update before matches kick off, resulting in several OWL fans retreating to the designated forum threads Wyoming and I will put up:

Net App, T-Mobile, Cheez-It, and Pringles have all pulled their advertising. Worth noting that Coca-Cola and State Farm are still listed on the OWL website, but no ads from those 2 will be run this week.

Xfinity, IBM, and TeamSpeak are still listed on the OWL website and officially have released no statement regarding their stance on their partnership with the OWL.

I will update if I hear anything regarding the remaining 5 sponsors.

1 Like