OW2 Early Build comes in April 2022! OWL S5 starts with it

Likely, but I expect the old cosmetics to become legacy items in OW2.

2 Likes

Maybe…I have everything I guess… (I have around 50 unopened lootboxes tho xD)

1 Like

I was hoping owl would be cancelled, but it seems it stays.

Well, now I just hoper there will be a beta of ow2 for normal players as well.

“Early Build” indicates we might get our first glimpse of OW2 gameplay in OWL, with a release later. But that’s just my speculation on the wording used.

2 Likes

Jon shared the post from Liz above. We can say its 100% confirmed now.

3 Likes

Thank you for stopping by. It’s great to see someone at Blizzard interacting with the community! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh apparently Britain is once again in the EU so the article is blocked here lol…

2 Likes

Heck yeah dude.

1 Like

To be honest… I can’t wait to see how the OWL is playing in a 5v5 team comp + the new maps and game modes :smiley: I hope we will see the 2nd new core game mode soon :smiley:

2 Likes

Those are some good news, since a time.

2 Likes

This has to be about one of the dumbest decisions ever to come out of OWL.

Running a global professional multi-million dollar ESports league on an alpha or beta build of something. Yes you’ll get to showcase new maps and heroes but the only thing that anyone is going to remember is the massive crashes, bugs, and error codes flashing across a players screen as Birdring starts filling in the crash report window that’s suddenly being streamed around the world to thousands of fans.

The point of a league is to pull in a bunch of audience for ad revenue, and generate hype for the main game.

That’s what this does.

It also buys them some additional time to polish the game before it’s available to the general public.

And OWL players are pretty decent at “beta testing”

5 Likes

Yeah, I can’t leave them unopened. That notification there that some are waiting to be opened would just bother me whenever I login.

2 Likes

Got my last regular OW cosmetic right after the summer event. Mei’s Abominable was my last.

1 Like

I was like this - it bothered me a lot, but one day I just decided, that I won´t open them anymore - unless I need more credits xD

Mei abomination would be better name :face_with_hand_over_mouth: (sorry I hate her)

2 Likes

OWL haters in absolute shambles right now.

2 Likes

Unfortunately they said the credits won’t carry forward to OW2. Well not directly, but they said there is no benefit to saving them.

Which means (to me) either they will reset you to zero with OW2 or they won’t be used for anything in OW2.

2 Likes

My bet is that “early build” means “new heroes, maps and 5v5 but no PvE”.

2 Likes

With rumours of the crunch and everything, please guys take your time, dont rush it and take care :frowning:

3 Likes

If I’m understanding correctly that this means OWL plays on a pre-release version of the game, that’s an interesting shift in paradigm. They’ve always been pretty adamant up to this point, even for minor patches, to have OWL versions always lag behind the general public rather than vice versa.

Edit: Thinking about it more, though, it probably makes sense with the timing. Team structures will be significantly different for 5v5, and it would be very awkward in terms of finances and contracts to make teams convert mid-season. This probably means the full version of OW2 is expected to release during that season (which was likely anyway if it’ll be in a beta fit for tournaments in April).

2 Likes