OW2 Cosmetics need to be cheap

Blizzard messed up a lot the past few years, both as a company and when it comes to the management of the OW IP.

Blizzard has more negative press than ever before.

OW2 might be their chance to regain some ground.

And for that, they need to monetize the game in a fair way.
A fair monetization brings following benefits:

• More involvement from the average consumer (people pay money regularly if they feel the worth).
  • Community satisfaction, which is the pillar of any good press.
  • A good press = free marketing + even more players attracted to the game (even more money).
  • A popular game = a more popular e-sport, and a popular e-sport brings even more money/players.

TL;DR: Blizzard needs to play the “give the people what they want” card, not the “OW is our next VIP/Whales club” card.

2 Likes

Yup, they will have to but so far it doesn’t look like they are rushing to do it. Can’t tell if it is overconfidence that people will buy anything anyway or are waiting for the last moment.

They aren’t going to do that. Nothing they’ve done for the past several years indicates they care the tiniest bit about loyal, longtime players of this game.

OW2 is being made for the generalist gaming crowd, people who play whatever is big on Twitch that week and call every other game “dead”. OW2 is designed to have big spikes of players for the weekend that a new hero is released, and all the hyper-casual gamers will buy up some cool $50 skins on impulse, then they will all leave within a week to go play CoD or Valorant or Apex again.

The rest of us who play this game all the time do not matter to Blizzard at all. The game is being made worse in a dozen different ways for us, but it doesn’t matter because the game isn’t made for us. It’s made for people with no point of reference for what OW has been before.

1 Like

I’m sure simple recolours will be cheap, but Mythicals? Nah

1 Like

I can probably lay out here with 95% accuracy how OW2 monitezation will go.

Premium BP will be $10. By completing the pass you earn a bunch of cosmetics and premium currency equal to $11 so if you play enough you get every BP for free as long as you save that premium currency.

There will be special events with gameplay challenges but the whole point of the event will be to bait you into spending money to get the limited time only skins in the store before they’re gone. Event skins will probably range anywhere from $10 to $30. Maybe they’ll throw in some outrageously priced skin in there once a year or so to grab some cash from whales.

For the average person, the BP cosmetic collection is enough or maybe they’ll buy a few skins a year coming to $30 a year. For skin crack heads the game becomes very expensive.

1 Like

I would not pay a single cent for recolors.

Good skins will be expensive i expect… I wont buy it. Train left with trusting blizz.

Meanwhile a recent official survey indicates that they are planning to charge 1$ for a voiceline and almost 50$ for a mythic skin.

Working on Diablo: Immortal must have eroded the minds of the people in charge of monetization…

I dont think you are right. While this would be the dream for a lot of people I think 10 bucks for a legy skin and 30 for a mythic will be the norm that we have have to accept or ignore.

Also remember that the current OW community is not the target audience anymore. They will attract new players that will have to live with this.

I think people they are more important for blizz than they really are. I will expect not Valorant prices (like the 45 bucks for a skin surveys) but Fornite prices (10 bucks pass and 10 bucks skins).

Very good drilldown. 100% agree.

1 Like