[OW2] Balance Design Blueprint, Beta #2

I figure hog is kinda the opposite of Sigma.

He needs a lot of work to go from offtank to main tank.

Also there is a -100hp health nerf, and -50hp selfheal nerf.

And healers get 50% less Ult charge off of you.

Overall I would really like to try them out but I’m not sure what direction they wanna take him in

Also I would like to note that it seems like Hook was already made into a transform ability in OW2 as when someone is hooked and you get stunned/silenced it will still pull them in

I think you’re making Sombra’s disruption more of a problem than it actually is. With the longer cast time on hack, it’s really not going to be stopping most things.

Hog’s take a breather is too easily interrupted, I will give it that. The main issue is it’s his only defensive tool, and you kind of have to rely on the damage reduction, but using it in combat is just begging for it to get cancelled.

But I’m not sure that giving it a cleanse makes sense. It just means sleeping hog is going to be useless most times. Realistically, it’s all to do with Ana–she’s the only one with things that really need cleansing.

I’d say instead, hog needs better defenses. Idk what that looks like, but a full-on rework of take a breather instead of trying to make it work would be better imho. He needs ways to actually block damage, not just heal it back up.

Giving Ana a 50% damage debuff on Nade is a terrible idea. That is even more teamfight defining than its current incarnation. The devs have already said they wouldn’t do damage debuffs (they had considered it for Sombra and decided against it)

Which is lame. I’m starting to think they want to keep buffs and debuffs to a simplistic amount for the “viewing experience”.

The catch is you literally cannot shoot during those abilities listed above.

I guess you’ll have to hope your teammates peel for you.

Muhahaha

Thought most the point of Overwatch 2 was to make it so the Tanks weren’t utterly dependant on their teammates babysitting them the entire game.

OW2 has a long way to go for that. “Brawlers” still are healing sponges, just a little less so compared to OW1

Yeah but that’s a lot different than not dropping your guard on them for even half a second.

Sombra can delete Bapt’s IF at will as well, is that fair game?

Can Bap shoot Sombra during her Hack cast?

So they can die 7 seconds faster than the other roles, too? Why would you change a role passive into a trickle generator? You just know that as soon as that Zen gets picked he’s going to start trundling towards his team and get killed in transit, and if he doesn’t he’ll be waiting for his team to reset with him anyway.

Touche. But things like Chain hook, experimental barrier, fortify (which if it works like OW1 does not get disabled during hack) are either fast set up or allow you to fire as well.

I think Fortify is already a transform ability, and Chain hook you basically can’t move or shoot for up to 2.0sec.

Experimental barrier is negotiable.

Interesting. First impression makes me think it is broken as hell.
Supports can actually stall a point very effectively. Between Lucio, Bap, Moira and Brig. They all have varying lvls of stalling potential. Massively reduced respawn time could end up becoming insanely frustrating, it also means the devs have to be extremely careful with the balance of any new support.

That is extremely broken. It makes Ana basically immune to any dive attempts and by extension her entire team. Ana is already a pretty decent dueling hero. Sleep is an automatic win and nade puts her at a massive advantage against most divers. Healing herself for 100 and locking the enemy diver at -60hp. Which allows her to 2 bodyshot any squishie hero. Reducing the divers damage output by 50% means it is essentially unwinnable for the diver. It is REALLY broken the more you think about it and might actually be worse than 100% anti-heal.

Fair, sleep will still be a frustrating ability but won’t automatically mean death. Still workable for the Ana player and maintains the primary use of sleep. To get away from divers.

Yep. This is very reasonable change. Depending on How Baps balance workout after the buff and the devs get the stats, if changes need to be done this seems reasonable.

Seems appropriate in OW2. Allies are harder to hit, more spread out. This helps compensate for that.

This very much could end up being too strong. Brig has already been showned to be a very strong pick in OW2. This is a very substantial buff for high health-pool heroes with equivalent healing output to Ana on a single target. Combo this with her inspire and it substantially is stronger than Ana’s healing output outside of nade. She already is very good at protecting other supports which means this buff might make her a must pick in most situations.

Common sense change.

I think we could go futher. Mercy’s blaster is a bit of a meme. Huge hitbox (2.5x Hanzo’s arrows). slow-projectile with spread and 100DPS.
We can make it a more consistent defense tools for most players without making it busted.
Reduce the projectile size to be the same as Genji’s shurikens. Double the projectile speed and remove spread. DPS kept the same.

I hate it. I do not think you understand how much of insane buff removing critical damage completely is. Especially for anyone who is above diamond. He would by far be the tankiest hero in the game and it wouldn’t even be close. He will feel unkillable in a lot of situations.

I could see Roadhog having something like this, although it mainly just makes Roadhog harder to punish. Does not necessarily make him a better tank. He would still probably be played very selfishly but this also isn’t necessarily a problem in OW2.

Would feel great for the Dva player. I would be concerned over the overall usage of DM increasing dramatically with DM flickering but it would probably be fine in OW2.

This would probably end up being a bigger buff than it looks. Dva would be able to delete squishie heroes more consistently and would also bring down the skill floor, making it more problematic at all ranks. The CD would probably have to be increased from 8 seconds to 10 at minimum.

This probably is going too far. It would feel extremely good for the Dva player but would make it too easy to counter a lot of ults with DM flickering. The amount of damage you would end up deleting would also be absurd. With DM flickering and the increased range, you would just counter too many abilities and ults. A lot of them in the fellow tank category making Dva a must pick,

Terrible idea. High rank players and pros will 100% figure out a way to abuse the hell out of this. Infinite stalling potential if done right.

I don’t think baby Dva needs to be made more difficult to hit. However, OW2 and one tank means maybe baby should be made more powerful. So I am hesitantly ok with it.

Similar story. It is ok simply because OW2 has 1 tank, so they are allowed to be on the OP side of things. Dva does need a bit of help.

Can’t comment on Doomfist. I did play the beta a ton but I do not feel like I have enough experience with him or playing against him to comment of these balance changes.

The second one is busted AF. 5 seconds of uninterruptible regen whenever she deploys something is INSANE! She basically has a mini-zen pocket on her at all times. If you combo this with any actual pocket and she will feel insanely tanky. The OP part mainly being that it is uninterruptible.

Interesting. I actually like it. 160DPS puts on par with nerfed Soldier-76 damage and making the levels icnrease the charge speed of her alt-fire is quite an elegant change.

I don’t think limiting to only being able to teleport one sentry neccessary. Sentry bomb is a cool playstyle and I don’t think it is remotely OP. Maybe stop the sentries directly being able to stack on top of eachother or make all sentries take damage if they are stacked directly when shot.

People are REALLY going to hate it. However it would achieve your goal.

I like it. Stops double mine killing people, so the Junkrat would have to combo it with his primary which most do already while also making mine more conistsnet.

Noob stomper. Low-ranked players will hate Junkrat with a passion. Most players will still not care about trap.

Nice.

I like it. Upon detonation, Junkrat should be flung into the air to allow him to rain down some shots from above if anyone survives.

That is one huge wall of text.

Hey Falcon, I actually really like your Ana, Brig and Dva changes. The reduction in Dm’s delay is something I have been saying she needs now myself and the idea of ressing in the mech would be a nice QOL change.

Only minor point of contention is I feel like it would be ideal to just get the mech itself back faster. Also I feel like it was dying too easily and I am skeptical DM with the delay decreased is enough to get her the durability she needs.

Apologies if you addressed it somewhere else and I missed it.

Nope, hadn’t really addressed that.

Would be pretty simple for them to speed up the climb-in animation.

Sorry this would literally become respawn simulator; I think the support passive from Beta 1 was fine after it got tuned.

ummm that’s not how that works… the issue is being too easy to kill in itself…
a faster respawn time isn’t going to address that. more frequently coming back to face threats you don’t have sufficient tools to contest to inevitably die, and do so more frequently isn’t going to “ensure people are happy queueing Support”.

skill ceiling nerf and actual nerf in removing positioning options whereby the mercy is using a prop superjump or so to maintain a midair position.

hoo boy there’s a lot to cover here.

2 main things you’re off the mark on:

1. why she has a lot of down time isn’t due to healing up.
    it’s due to how
    • she has low range AND low mobility making her incapable of getting into her effective range PLUS
    • low sustain for her sustain damage nature making her incapable of staying in her effective range long enough to get something done

now your changes look like they might address the 2nd point, but in no way do they address the first.

1. you’ve got quite a few contradictory or nonsensical design decisions being made which I’ll expand upon later.

So regarding the first. even with the heal passives, doesn’t mean she’s going to get into 15m range of the enemy often enough which is where there’s a need to make tp cd mechanic better. shaving off another 20% off tp cd doesn’t change how clunky and inflexible the cd mechanic itself is.

here’s a visual demonstration of how inflexible the current cd mechanic is:

and in application, this means higher binarised uptime with the current cd mechanic. e.g.

before I juked reaper ult, I didn’t know I’d need tp up. if I had current tp cd mechanic in that moment, either

1. I destroyed tp after I killed the sym immediately because at that time I’d have thought I wouldn’t need tp anymore and I’d want to get another tp cast asap for another duel (i.e. get uptime elsewhere or have an escape ready) —> no reaper kill and would’ve had to run away from the reaper engagement entirely —> more down time;
    OR
  2. do the same thing as the clip keeping tp up and then have to wait out the full 10s cd downtime later after the reaper kill because tp is her core uptime tool —> more down time because compared to the clip with old cd mechanic with old tp mechanic where I had tp back already because the timer back then started on placement.

long story short: she WILL need a better tp cd mechanic for better uptime. unless of course you up her range dramatically which you haven’t done nor are you intending to (more on how you haven’t upped her range much later).

OK now for the various designs you’ve chosen that are either nonsensical or self contradictory.

First and foremost orbs:
I’m entirely not sure why you decided that lower charged orbs travel faster and it really doesn’t make sense.
i.e. lower damage orbs can get more consistency with spam which one can do (tho still trash overall because of projectile speed and smaller size which make it still easily dodgeable), and you’re straight up making it better with faster speed whilst leaving charged orbs in their current “one of the worst projectiles in the game by far” state… like why ever bother charging it up outside of maybe a tp-orb-melee-combo?

like why would faster charge speed even matter when you’re incentivising not charging orbs anyways? this all comes to numbers sure, but from the looks of it, like if small orbs move fast enough to actually improve sym’s effective range, then there’s no point in charging orbs up compared to just spamming low charged ones, as you’d hardly ever hit with a large orb compared to spamming.

and if small orbs aren’t fast enough to actually be consistent in more ranges, then as I said before, her overall effective range is still low at 15m (your new beam range). and heck, if I’m reading your new charge mechanic right, basically damaging more —> lower effective range to 15m even if small orbs had >15m effective range.

Primary/overall logic with primary+turret

This logic of “60hps beam, and 120dps for 3x sentries at 180dps total, you got 160 beam, 1x sentry at 40dps for 200dps” is downright disingenuous.
sym’s turrets do not have the torb turret logic of shooting the same target as the user, nor do they have as much bulk or range as torb’s turrets to maintain damaging the same target as long either.

you may argue “it’s more consistent because only 1 turret to rely on to get passable dps” but that logic ignores the fact that only relying on 1 turret also means there’s only 1 turret to destroy (less targets) to get rid of sym’s passable 200 dps down to current sombra levels of 160dps (and at least sombra can headshot for more burst) which means more inconsistency, esp when you factor in the durability, targeting and range of such a turret.

1 Like