OW1 Game-breaking Alt-Tab Issue and Options Menu Delay Issue

FIXED as of 6/28/2022

Okay, the problem that is most prominent here is that when I play competitive or QP, the game will randomly alt-tab itself to my desktop. When I tab back into the game it basically makes my computer unusable. I can’t move, pick a hero, shoot, nothing. Not only that but I can no longer click anything on my computer because it removes any and all left-click functionality from the PC. This has cost me 100s of SR and has almost gotten me banned several times.

The second issue which is an annoyance more than game-breaking is that when I click the options menu, it takes 5-10 seconds before it opens which freezes my game completely in that amount of time. I can give in-game settings too if needed.

I’m desperate for help because I really love the game and don’t want to get banned because of these bugs.

These are my PC specs:

Brand: ASUS

OS: Windows 11, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-11700f @ 2.50GHz

RAM: 64 GB

Main Monitor: AOC 1ms Delay @ 1920 x 1080, 144Hz

Sincerest thanks,
Hasashi69

The long load for the options menu could be tied to the game pinging all the available audio devices.

For the Alt-Tab issue you might want to make a post in the #technical-support instead, sounds like another program takes focus away from ow.

1 Like

What if I use a physical and virtual mixer for audio separation? Will this affect any of the routings I have set to those devices?

UPDATE
Okay, so I looked into it and sadly have to deal with the 6-second hang time even after changing the default devices because I can’t afford to cut any of the mixers that I use for streaming and recording purposes but I want to thank you for pasting the information as to why this happens because it greatly helps me with trying to find a solution to it. I’m unsure if I need to experiment with the game’s script or if there is another way I can rummage around and fix the audio issue for the menu. I’m sure that I will find something hopefully before the OW2 full release date.

UPDATE 2
Disabled any duplicate sources in the recording and playback tabs that weren’t playing any audio and the load time has gone from 6-seconds to 3-seconds!

1 Like

Okay, humor me on this as these questions are weird.

• What exact models of keyboard and mouse are you using?
  • What other input-based peripherals do you have connected when it randomly alt-tabs.
  • What is generally happening in the game when an alt-tab happens (are you in the middle of a fight, just walking around, etc)?
  • Does it ever alt-tab when you are not touching the computer at all, and if so, how often compared to when you’re touching the computer?

I had random alt-tab issues in the past and it ended up being a really strange feature on my mouse that caused it, so I want to try and eliminate input-based causes as a possibility.

1 Like

I have the Razer Ornata and Huntsman Mini Analog as well as the Razer 20K optical mouse. It alt-tabs itself when I just play after random intervals. It could be when I do anything. I only have OBS open when I play it

Dang, I was hoping for different news. Unfortunately I don’t see how the DeathAdder V2, Huntsman Mini Analog, or Ornata would cause the issues you’re having. I have heard of complaints of the Huntsman Mini Analog suffering from “stickiness” whereby keys remain pressed after releasing them, but last I saw there were no solutions for it other than to shutdown Synapse (which defeats the point of the analog functionality).

Since it doesn’t sound like an accidental alt-tab, you may actually have a program that is stealing focus from Overwatch and minimizing the game. There are two things you might want to look into

1. I run the game in “windowed” mode (instead of fullscreen) and it helps with issues I have had in the past while alt-tabbing (e.g. game freezing, forever black screen, etc). Running in windowed mode can sometimes affect performance of the game, but I just deal with it.

and/or

1. WARNING WARNING WARNING
    This tip is risky because it involves software that I have never used before, and using it IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    WARNING WARNING WARNING
    There is an old piece of software called “Windows Focus Logger” that was able to tell you the history of which programs took focus from each other. I don’t know if it still exists but there is an open-source project on GitHub that claims to do the same thing. The author provides a download link if you want to see if it can help you uncover anything. Once again, I HAVE NEVER USED THIS SOFTWARE AND YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK:
    https://github.com/JocysCom/FocusLogger

I don’t think I have anything else I can say that might help you, so good luck!

1 Like

Thanks, bro, I decided to just do borderless fullscreen and it seems to be just fine!

Hell yeah! Glad I could help and happy hunting!